Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Apparently he was just about to go and burn the Jedi books. Beats me why he needs the Jedi tux to do that, especially if he denied the Jedi.

EXACTLY! Why at that very moment? Why not a day before Rey showed up? Why not a month, a year or a decade? Why NOW? And why does Luke fold his robes and neatly place them on the shelf? My brain hurts from trying to understand TLJ. I hope the powers that be right this wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

And base himself at the most sacred and obvious of Jedi locations.

According to Han, he left in search of the ancient Jedi Temple. But why search for something you want no part of unless he came to that conclusion after all those years in seclusion?

According to Han, he left in search of the ancient Jedi Temple. But why search for something you want no part of unless he came to that conclusion after all those years in seclusion?

And why leave a map if you didnt want to be found and why didnt Snoke sense his presence there especially if it had a Dark side in ground swimming pool installed? Terrible.

And why leave a map if you didnt want to be found and why didnt Snoke sense his presence there especially if it had a Dark side in ground swimming pool installed? Terrible.

I guess you could say by disconnecting from the force, his presence was masked or undetectable? Even when he had Mary Sue reach out to feel her surrounding she commented that she did not feel Luke's presence or energy.

Really? The most cherished film of all does EXACTLY the same thing. Yoda hid out on Dagobah for 20 years while Vader and the emperor were scouring the galaxy for jedi. Whey didn't they sense him there? The logic was the dark side cave masked his presence. And yoda never cut himself off either.

Without masking, how did Obi hide out on Tatooine for 20 years? Sure vader/emp could have sensed him there, too, right?

Same exact thing works for TLJ. Between Luke cutting himself off and the 'Sith Spa', his presence - and therefore the temples would be masked. Making it a good location for the temple if you're trying to keep it hidden.

You can't have it both ways.

I always wondered this, assuming that it was Luke that left the map and that it was a map to him. I think Luke sought-out the hardest place to find in the galaxy, which happened to be the Jedi Temple and it was Lor San Tekka who found the map to the Jedi Temple (and gave it to Poe) - not a map to Luke. Everyone assumed that the rumors were true - which they were - but it was possible that Rey and Chewie could have gone there and Luke had gone somewhere else.

I always wondered this, assuming that it was Luke that left the map and that it was a map to him. I think Luke sought-out the hardest place to find in the galaxy, which happened to be the Jedi Temple and it was Lor San Tekka who found the map to the Jedi Temple (and gave it to Poe) - not a map to Luke. Everyone assumed that the rumors were true - which they were - but it was possible that Rey and Chewie could have gone there and Luke had gone somewhere else.

Or there were absolutely no plans of making him Jake Skywalker, neighbour to Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men who cut himself off from the Force and denounced the Jedi and the idea was simply that he went looking for the first Jedi temple, then nobody heard of him anymore but hey, here's a map to the first Jedi temple.
TFA was originally supposed to end with Rey walking in on Luke levitating and meditating and lifting huge boulders and stuff, but JJ changed it at Rian's request.

Last edited:
EXACTLY! Why at that very moment? Why not a day before Rey showed up? Why not a month, a year or a decade? Why NOW? And why does Luke fold his robes and neatly place them on the shelf? My brain hurts from trying to understand TLJ. I hope the powers that be right this wrong.

I hadn't realised Luke was dressed that way in order to burn the books, but if that's the case, it maybe suggests he wants to destroy those books respectfully? As you point out he's had plenty of time to do this and yet still hasn't, so he's conflicted on the whole 'end the Jedi' thing despite what he's saying, which is why he keeps his robes folded neatly. They'd be the first things to go if he'd really renounced the Force.

Luke changed his mind at the end anyway and used the Force even though it killed him, and the fact that his body vanishes when he dies means he can't be completely cut off from it.

.. I didn't care for TLJ much at all, there a loads of problems with the film, but to be honest I didn't see this as one of them.

That's it! Their pitch man is the one and only Bob Eubanks ! ;)

Ah no I think you'll find it was his cousin, Bobba Eubanks! ;)

Really? The most cherished film of all does EXACTLY the same thing. Yoda hid out on Dagobah for 20 years while Vader and the emperor were scouring the galaxy for jedi. Whey didn't they sense him there? The logic was the dark side cave masked his presence. And yoda never cut himself off either.

Without masking, how did Obi hide out on Tatooine for 20 years? Sure vader/emp could have sensed him there, too, right?

Same exact thing works for TLJ. Between Luke cutting himself off and the 'Sith Spa', his presence - and therefore the temples would be masked. Making it a good location for the temple if you're trying to keep it hidden.

You can't have it both ways.

Well, Vader or Palpatine were not looking for Ben or Yoda as they thought they were dead. Jump to TLJ and Snoke is actively searching for Luke , in fact obsessed by it and has the ability to screw with Reys head from across the galaxy and obviously has the ability to Force project. Masking?It seems the Force not only works in mysterious ways but convenient ones as well.

Kenobi was even able to hide undetected for 20 years on Vader's home planet, using his own name and watching over Vader's child who also used his own name and is being raised by Vader's step brother! The Empire must be really bad at looking for people.

Kenobi was even able to hide undetected for 20 years on Vader's home planet, using his own name and watching over Vader's child who also used his own name and is being raised by Vader's step brother! The Empire must be really bad at looking for people.

Or maybe they just weren`t looking for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Or George Lucas is really bad at writing.
(Just a thought)

To me, hating on George Lucas for not making the prequels you wanted is like throwing shade on Alexander Fleming for inventing penicillin because some people are allergic to it.

- - - Updated - - -

No, please no.

They arent my favorite either but without Lucas and his talent and vision, the world would be a darker place. Maybe you could have stepped in and filled the hole, who knows?

I love it when prequel fanboys use the old "I suppose you could have done better?" argument.
Yes. I could have. Anyone could have. Even Rian Effing Johnson could have.
Hell, YOU probably could have. A dozen monkeys with typewriters could have.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back