1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

upper and lower are joined...hope I didn't forget anything:confused will post pics in the AM. all that's really left are the PE pieces I spoke about earlier, put one on, they'll need some black/gray wash to blend, and fit the engine panel but all looks good so far...and, no light leaks upper and lower:thumbsup just hope the engine panel cooperates as well :lol

isd close1.jpegisd close2.jpegisd close3.jpegisd close4.jpegisd close5.jpegisd close6.jpegisd close7.jpegwell here we are, a final fit and light leak test with tape, the one port hangar opening had a gap to the rear, next pic shows filled. The PE will cover these areas anyway. Then I went over everything one more time, then I dropped glue on all the designated areas and taped and clamped 'er up. This morning I removed all the tap and clamps and there is only one place, port side trench, at the rear of the notched area where there is a hairline gap, right where the PE will go. Gonna take a sewing needle and stuff a bit of glue in there and clamp it again.
Then, it's on to fitting the engine panel, which, I think I'm going to add another LED and FO the end corners a little, just because :lol

Thanks Stevie, it's been a blast, most fun I've ever had on a build. I'm hoping some of us if not all at some point, sometime can collaborate again on another build. making friends here has been very rewarding. And even if we are not able to do this again, It's my hope that we'll stay in touch and share what we're up to, even if it's not the same build. This is a great bunch of folks :thumbsup
Looking forward to seeing your pics. Been following along with your build and it's been fun watching you all helping each other.

WOW!!,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Well worth all the time spent!!!......I hope you post a lot more finished pictures.

Questions:

What glue did you use to seal the top and bottom?

Did you add the .5mm strip to the top and bottom of the engine block or did you add it to top and bottom sections to fill the gap after raising the walls? Maybe some close-up pictures showing this........

I think since the magnets worked so well on the top section I will also do it for the engine block like you did.

View attachment 788232View attachment 788233View attachment 788234View attachment 788235View attachment 788236View attachment 788237View attachment 788238well here we are, a final fit and light leak test with tape, the one port hangar opening had a gap to the rear, next pic shows filled. The PE will cover these areas anyway. Then I went over everything one more time, then I dropped glue on all the designated areas and taped and clamped 'er up. This morning I removed all the tap and clamps and there is only one place, port side trench, at the rear of the notched area where there is a hairline gap, right where the PE will go. Gonna take a sewing needle and stuff a bit of glue in there and clamp it again.
Then, it's on to fitting the engine panel, which, I think I'm going to add another LED and FO the end corners a little, just because :lol

hey thanks brother, I'm pleased with it so far. I just used regular testors glue in the red tube. I added .5 on the top and the bottom of the hull pieces. in test fitting it looked ok but now that the upper and lower are glued I'll have to take another go at it. it was late when I glued it and it sat over night so I haven't had a chance yet to see how the engine block fits, but I'm felling good about it :thumbsup there were pics of that one of my other posts. let me look for it
WOW!!,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Well worth all the time spent!!!......I hope you post a lot more finished pictures.

Questions:

What glue did you use to seal the top and bottom?

Did you add the .5mm strip to the top and bottom of the engine block or did you add it to top and bottom sections to fill the gap after raising the walls? Maybe some close-up pictures showing this........

I think since the magnets worked so well on the top section I will also do it for the engine block like you did.

- - - Updated - - -

post number 356 has pics of it :thumbsup

Wow. That looks great! I really dig what you did for the port hangar opening. If I wasn't married to the ILM 8 footer, I would likely mimic what you did here. I did deviate a bit and am adding lighting to a port bay located slightly forward amidships in the large recess notch on the side since it almost looked like ILM created one there but did not light it.

I'm envious that you are so close to finishing and I am many months away from arriving where you are right now. I see these builds and part of me wants to just hurry it up and rush it so I can get it wired and closed up so it's done - but when I look back at what I have accomplished - it will look weird having parts of it so detailed and the rest slopped together... so onward I trudge meticulously and taking my time, so it mimics the ILM model.

Thank you Invar, coming from you, that's an enormous compliment. Obviously I've taken a glut of liberties with this kit but as long as it looks good to me, I'm good. I don't blame you one bit for staying the course. like you once stated, this is a grail kit for you, as will be my Deago Falcon. There will be no short cuts or slopping that one. I'm going to hold off till I learn more electroniCs like that Adurino stuff so it will be everything it can be...a perfect, or near to, of the ESB Falcon. particularly since the kit, on sale even, was 1200 bucks and I've picked out about that much in upgrade parts so for a 2500 dollar investment it's getting my best effort. I'm actually sad that I'm nearing the end of this one. It's been so much fun and the collaboration with all you guys has been an awesome thing. I'm hoping that even after I'm done and have nothing left of mine to post here, that the other fellas will continue on this thread, or if they want to start their own that's fine too, but I want the whole experience to go as long as it can. never has a build been so much fun :thumbsup As far as the trench hangars, credit to Escape068 on that, I wouldn't have known to do that had it not been for what he did. Nor would I have done all the work to the engine panel if not for you, and all the extras on the upper hull, hats off to Omnius. it's awesome what can happen when a bunch of guys are all pitching ideas and sharing and I'm extremely thankful to all for helping to make my build so much more than it otherwise would have been :D
Wow. That looks great! I really dig what you did for the port hangar opening. If I wasn't married to the ILM 8 footer, I would likely mimic what you did here. I did deviate a bit and am adding lighting to a port bay located slightly forward amidships in the large recess notch on the side since it almost looked like ILM created one there but did not light it.

I'm envious that you are so close to finishing and I am many months away from arriving where you are right now. I see these builds and part of me wants to just hurry it up and rush it so I can get it wired and closed up so it's done - but when I look back at what I have accomplished - it will look weird having parts of it so detailed and the rest slopped together... so onward I trudge meticulously and taking my time, so it mimics the ILM model.

As far as the trench hangars, credit to Escape068 on that, I wouldn't have known to do that had it not been for what he did. Nor would I have done all the work to the engine panel if not for you, and all the extras on the upper hull, hats off to Omnius. it's awesome what can happen when a bunch of guys are all pitching ideas and sharing and I'm extremely thankful to all for helping to make my build so much more than it otherwise would have been :D

That is what makes this board so awesome for a hobbyist, especially for someone getting back into the hobby after many, many years (like myself) who are novices with so many of the advancements in lighting, 3D printing and other things never even imagined back when I was building those old AMT and Monogram kits from the 70's and 80's. It's been truly great to see other builds and to have wonderful mentors like Robiwon (R.I.P. Robert) who took the time to explain and photo journal their techniques and builds so we could learn to do these new things ourselves. It was Robert's suggestion of where to get my fiber and lighting and remote for someone totally ignorant of electronics and it was his encouragement that got me to take the dive into lighting and make the investment in this Zvezda kit. I can only show such gratitude by emulating his patience with me, with other hobbyists and share what I am doing and learning as Robert shared his efforts with us. It's pretty humbling that I have had a positive effect on someone else when I consider myself a novice.

Of course as much as I am nervous about lighting this kit - truly it's the painting that is going to be the nail-biter for me. I've had some bad issues with primers and such in the past and hopefully I have a formula that will work. Planning to prime the kit with Tamiya fine primer, seal it in Pledge floor Care from the airbrush, dark wash it with watered down shoe polish to bring out the details and then paint the main hull color over the top of that with Tamiya fine white. Then I'll use my airbrush with a family of off whites and grays in acrylics for enhancements like aztec hull plating and other details. Of course those plans are many, many months away before I get to attempt them and maybe, I will learn something new here on the board that worked miracles for someone else's build and I will get to change my plan up with something that might work better.

You know Invar, what I did with some of my Falcons on hull plating Aztec was to use a variation of grays with fine tip felt markers from the art store, easier than masking to be sure, then lightly airbrush over it, just a thought. As far as the rest of it, I think you're frettin' over nothing...you got this man :thumbsup And by the way, I certainly intend to follow your thread to the very end, my friend :D Say, one more thing, you don't happen to know Robert's last name do you? I'm getting a plaque made at the trophy shop dedicating this build to him.
That is what makes this board so awesome for a hobbyist, especially for someone getting back into the hobby after many, many years (like myself) who are novices with so many of the advancements in lighting, 3D printing and other things never even imagined back when I was building those old AMT and Monogram kits from the 70's and 80's. It's been truly great to see other builds and to have wonderful mentors like Robiwon (R.I.P. Robert) who took the time to explain and photo journal their techniques and builds so we could learn to do these new things ourselves. It was Robert's suggestion of where to get my fiber and lighting and remote for someone totally ignorant of electronics and it was his encouragement that got me to take the dive into lighting and make the investment in this Zvezda kit. I can only show such gratitude by emulating his patience with me, with other hobbyists and share what I am doing and learning as Robert shared his efforts with us. It's pretty humbling that I have had a positive effect on someone else when I consider myself a novice.

Of course as much as I am nervous about lighting this kit - truly it's the painting that is going to be the nail-biter for me. I've had some bad issues with primers and such in the past and hopefully I have a formula that will work. Planning to prime the kit with Tamiya fine primer, seal it in Pledge floor Care from the airbrush, dark wash it with watered down shoe polish to bring out the details and then paint the main hull color over the top of that with Tamiya fine white. Then I'll use my airbrush with a family of off whites and grays in acrylics for enhancements like aztec hull plating and other details. Of course those plans are many, many months away before I get to attempt them and maybe, I will learn something new here on the board that worked miracles for someone else's build and I will get to change my plan up with something that might work better.

I can't agree more........If it wasn't for this thread and a few others on this board "Robiwan" Robert Cass, Invar, Scarecrow Joe & Omnius I would not have done have the stuff I did to my Star Destroyer. It's been a lot of fun and a learning experience. I look at it as a way to learn new techniques and bounce ideas off other builders and formulate my own way of doing things based on what others have success in. Everybody on this thread brings something special to the table in model building which makes everybody better at it. Hopefully this level of collaboration will continue with future builds.

I want to say "thank you" to everyone on this thread, I finally got through the first read and it is inspiring work by all! I have purchased some 1/700 battleships and some 1/700 photo etch sheets just to add detail, 3d engines and deflector domes even though I cant start this for a while yet (to much on the work bench now :rolleyes) but you have done some very inspiring work! (the greatest for of flattery). I hope to see the finally. :cheersto all

And thank you my friend... it seems we all have made a contribution but there are a few guys here that are extremely dedicated and deep into this build, much more than I, but I also thank everyone who clued me in to things I hadn't even thought of, making mine far better than it otherwise would have been and still, mine will pale in comparison to theirs. Be sure to catch Invar and Omnius' threads as they continue to toil through every aspect of every detail possible at this scale, there lies the true genius in modeling and dedication to what the rest of us strive to achieve. And also a special thanks to Escape068 to showing us things not thought of for this kit. Cheers to all!:cheers
I want to say "thank you" to everyone on this thread, I finally got through the first read and it is inspiring work by all! I have purchased some 1/700 battleships and some 1/700 photo etch sheets just to add detail, 3d engines and deflector domes even though I cant start this for a while yet (to much on the work bench now :rolleyes) but you have done some very inspiring work! (the greatest for of flattery). I hope to see the finally. :cheersto all

I would also like to give a shout out to Scarecrow Joe and our dearly departed Robiwon, it was their work I first saw that inspired me to take this one on, and so glad I did. :thumbsup

Many, many thanks my good friend, you had a lot to do with it. I'd never thought of the Tie hangars nor keeping my FO more organized as I went along. before I'd spent a lot more time sorting them out after they were all in there, and I'd always goof something up. Your help with my remote sensor troubles was great, and the magnet thing, works wonderful! :thumbsup
Love it!! keep the pictures coming!

Your welcome!!! I will have some more questions about the paint and probably some other stuff when I finally get to it.....

Many, many thanks my good friend, you had a lot to do with it. I'd never thought of the Tie hangars nor keeping my FO more organized as I went along. before I'd spent a lot more time sorting them out after they were all in there, and I'd always goof something up. Your help with my remote sensor troubles was great, and the magnet thing, works wonderful! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back