Can 3d lightsaber prints be chromed?

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As per title chaps, is it possible to chrome 3d printed lightsaber parts - such as Valcrows Obi Wan ANH?

Not fully schooled on Chroming so advice would be good :)

Thanks

Lee

Yes I believe it can be! That's how they made the props for ROTS. The prop department made tons of different stunt versions of the various lightsabers out of different materials that were then chromed. There's a video on YouTube of them showing all of the chromed stunt props

do you have an airbrush?

there are quite a few options in the modelling world ie Mr Color's Super Metallic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-FLFGx_pk

plenty of other videos on youtube

one thing to note is that these paints are (relatively) quite expensive, a small 10ml bottle would cost like $5 to $10, while one bottle should be more then enough to paint a lightsaber, but I wouldn't recommend that for a life size Captain Phasma build :)

don't have any experience with the automotive spray cans, but I have seen some that claims to be chrome as well.

The short answer is yes, i print Lightsaber's and started recently looking into having them chromed. My biggest problem is the price is too high.

do you have an airbrush?

there are quite a few options in the modelling world ie Mr Color's Super Metallic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-FLFGx_pk

plenty of other videos on youtube

one thing to note is that these paints are (relatively) quite expensive, a small 10ml bottle would cost like $5 to $10, while one bottle should be more then enough to paint a lightsaber, but I wouldn't recommend that for a life size Captain Phasma build :)

don't have any experience with the automotive spray cans, but I have seen some that claims to be chrome as well.

Just to add to this, ive seen StardustColors Mirror-Like paint in person and it gets amazing results, its seriously pricey though

You can but you'd need to do a bit of cleaning work to get a nice uniform finish when you chrome it. No half measures, either. Chromed print lines would make it look all the more worse.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back