Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

Star Wars has had it's fair share of plot twists. But I don't believe that the story will stray from it's core principle that Star Wars is about the Skywalker family. I think that this is the one true story that George would never compromise on. Remember It's still made by "Lucas Film". He still has some creative control and I think that simple fact is what his legacy will be, even though the special editions and prequels were mostly ****. It's the Skywalker story. Just my thoughts but we'll see in 49 days.

That is even more dumb if that is the backstory. If stuff like that is canon, then the people who bashed the EU have to bite their tongues.

No, GL never intended Luke to start a new Academy or Temple. Pass on his knowledge? Yes, and what Luke learned is a totally different version of what it means to be a Jedi then the PT era. The EU version was not what ROTJ set up. This is.

Star Wars has had it's fair share of plot twists. But I don't believe that the story will stray from it's core principle that Star Wars is about the Skywalker family. I think that this is the one true story that George would never compromise on. Remember It's still made by "Lucas Film". He still has some creative control and I think that simple fact is what his legacy will be, even though the special editions and prequels were mostly ****. It's the Skywalker story. Just my thoughts but we'll see in 49 days.

Well... no. It's only been "about the Skywalker family" since Rick McCallum got onboard for the Special Editions. George's early notes break the twelve planned episodes of the saga into The Adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Adventures of Luke Skywalker (after the names got straightened out). The overall arc was essentially a sci-fi/space opera version of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, the Dark Ages, and the Renaissance condensed into only a couple generations, with the Force as the throughline -- Obi-Wan passing the forgotten legacy of the old world to Luke to create the new.

And Lucas has zero creative control or influence following his retirement. He made the use of his treatments one of the conditions of the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney, but the new Powers That Be looked at them and decided they were all wrong and started from a blank page. Lucas knows probably less about TFA than we do here in this thread. He's seen the trailers, he's excited, he doesn't know what's going to happen, and when Kathleen has offered to tell him, he's vehemently told her not to -- he wants to be surprised come December. He realized after they threw away his treatments that he likes being in the position of not knowing in advance. He finally gets to be the audience and not the all-knowing creator.

--Jonah

Yup. :D The writing classes were some of my favorites. A lot of good advice, a lot of good reading... Which reminds me, I was grinning like an idiot at the end of Goosebumps: "All stories have three parts -- the beginning, the middle... and the twist."

Anway. @seelsa73, don't read this and comment until you've finished Shattered Empire.
@Bryancd, what role, if any, do you see the Tolkienian Two Trees playing in the new trilogy? It looks like the Damerons planted theirs and set up housekeeping amid the ruins on Yavin D. What is the thinking on that being where the Resistance base is in TFA? And I'm assuming Luke planted the other one where he set up his new Academy, and it burned along with his hopes... Maybe that's what he's watching burn in the second teaser?

--Jonah

Last edited:
Yup. :D The writing classes were some of my favorites. A lot of good advice, a lot of good reading... Which reminds me, I was grinning like an idiot at the end of Goosebumps: "All stories have three parts -- the beginning, the middle... and the twist."

Anway. @seelsa73, don't read this and comment until you've finished Shattered Empire.
@Bryancd, what role, if any, do you see the Tolkeinian Two Trees playing in the new trilogy? It looks like the Damerons planted theirs and set up housekeeping amid the ruins on Yavin D. What is the thinking on that being where the Resistance base is in TFA? And I'm assuming Luke planted the other one where he set up his new Academy, and it burned along with his hopes... Maybe that's what he's watching burn in the second teaser?

--Jonah

Dude...I've had this book since it came out, but I've been trying to get through The Magicians trilogy before the series starts in January instead. I have a bit less than half in the last book right now, but I may have to put it on hold til I get through Shattered Empire based solely on your comment.

Well played, sir.

Especially considering Lucas has tried to remain spoiler-free, I'm gonna say this was "staged" for the fun of it -- and for JJ to rile us fans up even more.

--Jonah

Take it for what is worth. I just bought a BB8 t-shirt from Disney Store. It is a basic diagram image of BB8 that describes his different modes and parts / pieces. One mode is shows is just his base called "Escape Mode." I always thought with those large "door like" circles on his base that he could pull in his R2 head and seal it up in his main base. Interesting......

@Bryancd, what role, if any, do you see the Tolkienian Two Trees playing in the new trilogy? It looks like the Damerons planted theirs and set up housekeeping amid the ruins on Yavin D. What is the thinking on that being where the Resistance base is in TFA? And I'm assuming Luke planted the other one where he set up his new Academy, and it burned along with his hopes... Maybe that's what he's watching burn in the second teaser?

--Jonah

I think that all sounds intriguing! Except the part from the trailer, I think that's the embers of a funeral pyre.

We may not discover that in this film, maybe in Ep. 8 or a book or comic.

So the mystery surrounding why one of the most iconic props in the Star Wars franchise is put on the same level of importance as to why C-3PO has a red arm? If it's not going to be explained in the movie, that's going to be extremely lazy writing. This isn't some different colored arm that fans can write off as 3PO getting a different arm, this is an important plot device that has been directly used to tell the story and show the progress of its characters. Given how the light saber looks to play an important part of this movie, why is it a good idea to justify its existence with reasoning akin to "It just is." It'd be like if Han Solo was thawed out off screen and with the gang from the beginning in Return Of The Jedi with barely a mention as to how he got there.

So the mystery surrounding why one of the most iconic props in the Star Wars franchise is put on the same level of importance as to why C-3PO has a red arm? If it's not going to be explained in the movie, that's going to be extremely lazy writing. This isn't some different colored arm that fans can write off as 3PO getting a different arm, this is an important plot device that has been directly used to tell the story and show the progress of its characters. Given how the light saber looks to play an important part of this movie, why is it a good idea to justify its existence with reasoning akin to "It just is." It'd be like if Han Solo was thawed out off screen and with the gang from the beginning in Return Of The Jedi with barely a mention as to how he got there.

Wasn't that explained in Heir to the Empire back in the 90's?

No, GL never intended Luke to start a new Academy or Temple. Pass on his knowledge? Yes, and what Luke learned is a totally different version of what it means to be a Jedi then the PT era. The EU version was not what ROTJ set up. This is.

Where did Lucas say that? I'm not saying start an academy, but having Luke just try to restart anything from a few students up, to getting wiped out just seems dumb. I'm not even defending the EU, a lot of which was dumb, but that seems equally dumb. I'd at the least expect Luke to have a handful of Jedi Knights by this point. Otherwise it just seems boring and like he never fulfilled his destiny, which ROTJ did imply. I don't know of anyone who grew up in the OT era thinking that when Yoda said "Pass on what you have learned." that it just meant "go teach one guy the Force."

From what I've read it just seems that they wanted to recreate ANH and have Luke a solitary Jedi out in a desert like Obi Wan. They will have the new kids seek him out and do the same thing all over again. Yes storytelling often follows similar themes, but if this is how it turns out then yeah I'd rather have the EU Academy where Luke did actually do something useful.

Where did Lucas say that? I'm not saying start an academy, but having Luke just try to restart anything from a few students up, to getting wiped out just seems dumb. I'm not even defending the EU, a lot of which was dumb, but that seems equally dumb. I'd at the least expect Luke to have a handful of Jedi Knights by this point. Otherwise it just seems boring and like he never fulfilled his destiny, which ROTJ did imply. I don't know of anyone who grew up in the OT era thinking that when Yoda said "Pass on what you have learned." that it just meant "go teach one guy the Force."

From what I've read it just seems that they wanted to recreate ANH and have Luke a solitary Jedi out in a desert like Obi Wan. They will have the new kids seek him out and do the same thing all over again. Yes storytelling often follows similar themes, but if this is how it turns out then yeah I'd rather have the EU Academy where Luke did actually do something useful.

You are assuming far too much. I didn't say in TFA Luke hasn't trained Jedi. Possibly Maz is one of them. And if you have read and or listened to anything GL has said on record, there are two aspects of the EU he disliked. Luke getting married and Luke being the Grand Master.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong, it's may be simply inconsequential to the story they are telling to 95% of the audience.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back