Lifesize ED-209 Build. NOW WITH EVEN MORE ED on p.23!!!

Re: Lifesize ED-209 Build. Check it out. You have twenty seconds to comply...

No wonder you've not updated the Ironman build in over a week; you're busy switching tracks from lone suited vigilante to mass produced robotic minions!

The lower leg mold is done:

That was the second most complicated mold I'll make for this project. The mold for the main body will be the big winner.

I've also had Lopez the Robot Whittler carve out his first detail pieces for this project:

So progress continues. If you haven't read my introductory article about starting this project and deciding on a scale factor, be sure to check it out here: Building Up to Maker Faire: Bringing ED-209 to Life | MAKE

Stay tuned...

This is looking incredible! Im a huge fan of ED and am extremely excited to see this come together.

Started working on a few of the detail parts:

And spent some quality time on the gun pod:

That piece should be ready to mold soon. Stay tuned...

I seriously have no idea how you are working on this and the marines at the same time!

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk

OMG! :eek I can't believe I didn't know about this before! That's looking great so far, Shawn!

I've always been a huge fan of ED-209, so it's awesome to see a full-size replica of it being built.

Can't wait to see it all done up and ready for display at Maker Faire :)

I seriously have no idea how you are working on this and the marines at the same time!

Don't forget the 40K Commissar, the Mk39 Ironman helmet, and the HALO M729 SAW that I'm working on. What can I say? I'm just amazing. :)

Can't wait to see it all done up and ready for display at Maker Faire :)

Me too. It's an exciting build, but I'll be really thrilled to have this one behind me.

There should be another update article getting posted over at MAKE soon. For now, here's a pic of me pulling the first copy of the lower leg out of the molds:

Here's my friend Brian trying not to look ridiculous next to the part after we'd pulled it out of the mold:

Stay tuned...

I finally have a toe prototype ready for the first round of primer:

Here's the ankle flap prototype being smoothed out:

And the gelcoat inside the lower leg molds in preparation for the next pull:

I've just finished writing my next article for the MAKE series. This one will detail the process involved in making a fiberglass mold. So keep an eye out for that.

Stay tuned...

How do you do all this? Is this what you do for work or do you have a lot of spare time? Lol I love your work!

Is this what you do for work or do you have a lot of spare time?

Well I certainly don't have a lot of spare time. It just so happens that I run my Combat Garden Gnome business out of the same workshop where I do all of these other things. So whenever I get to a point where I'm waiting for paint to dry on one project, I can just turn around and get to work on another project in the same room. I also have a tendency to spend my nights sculpting and/or writing instead of sleeping. When you factor in the fact that I don't own a TV and I rarely play video games, my time is very efficiently focused on making cool stuff.

I'll probably slow down a tiny bit once my girlfriend finishes school and moves back into the country.

Lmao that explains it! My wife has little interest in cosplay and I don't have a shop so when when we are home together we do other things. Most of my work is done on days where I am home alone or later at night... Good work though and keep going! Also, I think I'm going to try to convince my mother in law to get one of your gnomes lol some punk kids stole her regular one about a year ago... Need ones that can defend themselves!

You're a machine and all of your posts prove that fact. Great molds, great results and loving every post of this thread:cool

Wow I've only been away from the site a week, can't believe the progress you've done in that time, brilliant stuff :thumbsup

You, sir, are my hero. If only I had the time, talent, work shop and display space to undertake such a project. At least I can live vicariously through you. I cant wait to see the finished product!
Brian

Is it strange to say that I envy your cluttered workspace??? It's beautiful in a way.

Is it strange to say that I envy your cluttered workspace??? It's beautiful in a way.

I'm a fan, but I'll admit that it's been impractically cramped for years now. Back when I was making my Predator costume, it seemed like all the space I could ever need. Pile in molds and scraps and leftovers from the dozens of large projects I've done since then and I spend half of my time moving work out of the way so I can get to work.

In other news, I walked the MAKE Magazine guys through the process of using Bondo for filling and shaping on some of my prototypes and they put together a quick little video how-to:

It even sounds like I know what I'm talking about. Good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

You did a predator? Have a thread? Sorry, dont mean to hijack
this ed-209 its gonna be the best

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back