1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

I couldn't agree more, it was a really fun build for me, also agree with your assessment of the value and enjoyment of the collaboration. Mine would have been done long before it was and not nearly as detailed had it not been for Invar, Omnius, and you as well. I'm happy to hear that that geared appearance will not go away with the use of the rings.
As for me, I'm just picking away at my Echo Base hangar diorama thing. Finding 1/72 figures is difficult, lighting Bandai small ships has been tricky also. I scratched a service scaffold for the Xwing and plan to build another one, did a troop transport scooter that didn't turn out so well, but it was good practice. You can buy those on Shapeways for 15 bucks but I was determined, but after nearly 3 days work it really wasn't worth the effort. I have one snow speeder and just ordered 2 more, and I ordered another xwing. now I'm going to try to get the figures I have painted correctly. You Tube vids were a big help in finding out how best to do it and get good results. I suppose then I'll start scratching some of the misc equipment and the floor lighting. Fun stuff brother!
When lit you see the gear teeth so it's kind of a neat effect when you turn them on.

When I tested the diffuser the light spread out much more evenly inside the whole bell when it was place where I have it now compared to behind the gears/teeth. I asked Tony to make me those bezels to cover the edges.

This one is getting to the point (4 months) when will it end but it's been a lot of fun with you and the other builders When I did the 1/350 Enterprise Refit it was 1 year so I was dying to get that finished. The smaller ones under a month are fun all the way through. I have to say I had a real good time with this one on your thread and it would not have been nearly as detailed if I had not gone back and fourth with you and the other great modelers and their SD's on this and the other threads. S

I incorporated some really great ideas into my build and I hope others incorporated some of my ideas into their own builds. That is how you pick up the skills and confidence to tackle any issues that comes at you on these builds.
[/QUOTE]

I checked out your other thread and I have to say very impressive work on lighting such small scale models. I really like the service scaffold you scratched built very "life like"
I know the diorama your working on is going to come out awesome based on the work I have seen so far. I will keep following these threads and maybe soon we can collaborate on another one.

I couldn't agree more, it was a really fun build for me, also agree with your assessment of the value and enjoyment of the collaboration. Mine would have been done long before it was and not nearly as detailed had it not been for Invar, Omnius, and you as well. I'm happy to hear that that geared appearance will not go away with the use of the rings.
As for me, I'm just picking away at my Echo Base hangar diorama thing. Finding 1/72 figures is difficult, lighting Bandai small ships has been tricky also. I scratched a service scaffold for the Xwing and plan to build another one, did a troop transport scooter that didn't turn out so well, but it was good practice. You can buy those on Shapeways for 15 bucks but I was determined, but after nearly 3 days work it really wasn't worth the effort. I have one snow speeder and just ordered 2 more, and I ordered another xwing. now I'm going to try to get the figures I have painted correctly. You Tube vids were a big help in finding out how best to do it and get good results. I suppose then I'll start scratching some of the misc equipment and the floor lighting. Fun stuff brother!
[/QUOTE]

Well thanks dude, very much appreciated. it was a tricky one to light. I got a lot of help from Socrates in the Netherlands, he was just finishing his and had a lot of great pics of what he cut out to run the wiring...Bandai at that scale is NOT lighting friendly. His was an "in flight" as the kit is intended, so the extra challenge for me was the landing gear lighting. Thanks to the tiny "pico" LED's it was possible. I hope this dio turns out as nice as it looks in my minds eye. by all means keep in touch, even if we don't colab on another build, I'm still interested in what you'll be doing, might even have some ideas for you, as I'm certain you'd have for me. Tie fighter hangars...that never crossed my mind at all and was a brilliant idea on your part :thumbsup
I checked out your other thread and I have to say very impressive work on lighting such small scale models. I really like the service scaffold you scratched built very "life like"
I know the diorama your working on is going to come out awesome based on the work I have seen so far. I will keep following these threads and maybe soon we can collaborate on another one.
[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, did you ever say if you had gotten some Tie fighters and a Slave1? I got extras if you want 'em. :thumbsup
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer......if you have a few extra Tie Fighters and want to send them that would be great!!!

When I bought the bells from Falcon 3D he also sent me the Tantive IV ( A New Hope) and Millennium Falcon in 1/2700. Not sure what movie version I will model the SD after but I ordered 2 plaques "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back" like yours for $7 each. I guess I can do both and put the respective ships where it goes when I use that plaque. I'm using Microscale liquid tape to attach these ships which is not a permanent bond and it can be removed. I use this a lot with other model I build with small parts that I may want to remove or reposition at a later time.

What color should I paint the tiny Millennium Falcon and Tantive IV relative to the Corax white that the SD is painted in?

SD update: Deflectors installed on bells. Bells, Shield Generators and Antenna Array clear coated and ready for installation tonight.

I will use the Microscale liquid tape on all of these except the Bells. For the bells I will use the same glue I used for the FO which is slightly flexible and can be removed with some slight pressure but it will not fall off. If I have any light leaks around the Bell seams then I will use liquid electrical tape which is like liquid rubber. It dries fast, blocks light and will hold the bells in place. It's also slightly flexible and can be removed with slight pressure. I used this a lot to light block the back of the LEDs when paint sometimes lets light through around the edges of the LED.

All that's left besides the stand!!

20180308_064724smaller.jpg 20180308_064833smaller.jpg

Well thanks dude, very much appreciated. it was a tricky one to light. I got a lot of help from Socrates in the Netherlands, he was just finishing his and had a lot of great pics of what he cut out to run the wiring...Bandai at that scale is NOT lighting friendly. His was an "in flight" as the kit is intended, so the extra challenge for me was the landing gear lighting. Thanks to the tiny "pico" LED's it was possible. I hope this dio turns out as nice as it looks in my minds eye. by all means keep in touch, even if we don't colab on another build, I'm still interested in what you'll be doing, might even have some ideas for you, as I'm certain you'd have for me. Tie fighter hangars...that never crossed my mind at all and was a brilliant idea on your part :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, did you ever say if you had gotten some Tie fighters and a Slave1? I got extras if you want 'em. :thumbsup[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Sure, I'll never use all of the tie fighters, they came in a rack of like 30, I used 6 I think, I'll send you 15, I may do another one of these at some point so I'll still have a few. I still got you addy so I'll put some in a crush proof and send em. My tiny falcon I only shot with corax and it's still a bit transparent. I'd shoot it with a bit of some darker primer first, then the corax, then wash it, IF you have the Shapeways. I'm going to re-do mine. I think I still have the 3D Falcon one and it's a dark gray. I used the Shapeways which was the light transparent plastic.
Thanks for the offer......if you have a few extra Tie Fighters and want to send them that would be great!!!

When I bought the bells from Falcon 3D he also sent me the Tantive IV ( A New Hope) and Millennium Falcon in 1/2700. Not sure what movie version I will model the SD after but I ordered 2 plaques "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back" like yours for $7 each. I guess I can do both and put the respective ships where it goes when I use that plaque. I'm using Microscale liquid tape to attach these ships which is not a permanent bond and it can be removed. I use this a lot with other model I build with small parts that I may want to remove or reposition at a later time.

What color should I paint the tiny Millennium Falcon and Tantive IV relative to the Corax white that the SD is painted in?

SD update: Deflectors installed on bells. Bells, Shield Generators and Antenna Array clear coated and ready for installation tonight.

I will use the Microscale liquid tape on all of these except the Bells. For the bells I will use the same glue I used for the FO which is slightly flexible and can be removed with some slight pressure but it will not fall off. If I have any light leaks around the Bell seams then I will use liquid electrical tape which is like liquid rubber. It dries fast, blocks light and will hold the bells in place. It's also slightly flexible and can be removed with slight pressure. I used this a lot to light block the back of the LEDs when paint sometimes lets light through around the edges of the LED.

All that's left besides the stand!!

View attachment 800887 View attachment 800888

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, did you ever say if you had gotten some Tie fighters and a Slave1? I got extras if you want 'em. :thumbsup
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

15 is too many.....8 is plenty......Thanks Ross!!

Both were direct from Falcon 3D and were dark gray. I already have them painted Corax white......so just do a light wash?

Sure, I'll never use all of the tie fighters, they came in a rack of like 30, I used 6 I think, I'll send you 15, I may do another one of these at some point so I'll still have a few. I still got you addy so I'll put some in a crush proof and send em. My tiny falcon I only shot with corax and it's still a bit transparent. I'd shoot it with a bit of some darker primer first, then the corax, then wash it, IF you have the Shapeways. I'm going to re-do mine. I think I still have the 3D Falcon one and it's a dark gray. I used the Shapeways which was the light transparent plastic.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

well ok...they are in rows of 10 I think, so you're getting 10. plus when I ordered the Slave 1, I got 4, so you're getting one of those too. I should have figured you had the 3D falcon, yeah, a light was to give it some definition, a dot of black on the rear fan screens and a meticulously applied bit of black on the cockpit...but you knew that part. I didn't do it on the first one, but I may dive into deeper detail on the 3D one when I re-do it. the red and gray markings...have to break out the magnifying glass!
15 is too many.....8 is plenty......Thanks Ross!!

Both were direct from Falcon 3D and were dark gray. I already have them painted Corax white......so just do a light wash?
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I need to find a clear picture of the Tantive IV so I can add some detail to it. I will do a little detail to the falcon, but it's really small like a "dime" or a little smaller

well ok...they are in rows of 10 I think, so you're getting 10. plus when I ordered the Slave 1, I got 4, so you're getting one of those too. I should have figured you had the 3D falcon, yeah, a light was to give it some definition, a dot of black on the rear fan screens and a meticulously applied bit of black on the cockpit...but you knew that part. I didn't do it on the first one, but I may dive into deeper detail on the 3D one when I re-do it. the red and gray markings...have to break out the magnifying glass!
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I know right!? it's a tiny mofo...I think I've seen several pics of the old studio model of the Tantive while searching for other stuff...it's out there :thumbsup
I need to find a clear picture of the Tantive IV so I can add some detail to it. I will do a little detail to the falcon, but it's really small like a "dime" or a little smaller
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I know right!? it's a tiny mofo...I think I've seen several pics of the old studio model of the Tantive while searching for other stuff...it's out there :thumbsup

Ask, and you shall receive:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40905637/Reference-CR90-Corvette-Tantive-IV

Bells done!!

Hi Ross how did you situate the shield generators on the tower. They are on an angle so I'm not sure if they are to be leaning in or out on the tower?

Base will be finished this weekend and all wired up.

Some pictures with the engines bells glued on and lit up:

20180309_063926Smaller.jpg 20180309_063933Smaller.jpg 20180309_063940Smaller.jpg 20180308_194825Smaller.jpg 20180308_194834Smaller.jpg

I know I keep saying this, but your wash job is really great! And you engine panel is stellar! Shield generators, I was screwing around trying to get them to stand straight up, then someone told me they're supposed to be slightly angled out, so I quit messing with it and put them on. I can't recall who said it though. Take a look at Omnious' thread, he's got some really good pics posted of his bridge assembly, you might be able to tell from his. Or, ask Invar, this is his "grail" build and if anyone knows EVERTHING about correct, it's Invar :thumbsup
Bells done!!

Hi Ross how did you situate the shield generators on the tower. They are on an angle so I'm not sure if they are to be leaning in or out on the tower?

Base will be finished this weekend and all wired up.

Some pictures with the engines bells glued on and lit up:

View attachment 801123 View attachment 801124 View attachment 801125 View attachment 801126 View attachment 801127

I just looked at Omnious' first page again, his look more straight up that mine, but the ever so slightest hint of an outward tilt. Of course, his looks better than mine...everything about his is better...dedication and tenacity, I'm learning though :lol

Thanks!!.......I just checked out Omnius page and found this picture. Looks like the shortest side of the vertical uprights are facing in which make the top look slightly leaning to the outside.....Cant be certain because the picture is close. I will also ask INVAR

1870c2c1c6faea0a3477e3777c873684.jpg

I know I keep saying this, but your wash job is really great! And you engine panel is stellar! Shield generators, I was screwing around trying to get them to stand straight up, then someone told me they're supposed to be slightly angled out, so I quit messing with it and put them on. I can't recall who said it though. Take a look at Omnious' thread, he's got some really good pics posted of his bridge assembly, you might be able to tell from his. Or, ask Invar, this is his "grail" build and if anyone knows EVERTHING about correct, it's Invar :thumbsup

Yeah, I would...of course after cutting the bases off the top, then smoothing the base of the 3D generators you can end up wonky pretty easy. I did some filing to get mine where they are :wacko
Thanks!!.......I just checked out Omnius page and found this picture. Looks like the shortest side of the vertical uprights are facing in which make the top look slightly leaning to the outside.....Cant be certain because the picture is close. I will also ask INVAR

View attachment 801132

All done!!

Here are some completed pictures. All the pictures taken are from a Samsung Galaxy S4 so the low light pictures are not that great. I will try to upload a video but it may be too large. For some reason the base land engines lights show blue in some pictures but that are really white. Could be some interaction with the incandescent lights that are on in the room.

20180311_122557Smaller.jpg 20180311_122609Smaller.jpg 20180311_122618Smaller.jpg 20180311_122645Smaller.jpg

20180311_122659Smaller.jpg 20180311_122759Smaller.jpg 20180311_122903Smaller.jpg 20180311_123304Smaller.jpg

20180311_123345Smaller.jpg 20180310_190528Smaller.jpg 20180310_190446Smaller.jpg 20180310_190406Smaller.jpg

20180311_123055Smaller.jpg 20180310_190604Smaller.jpg 20180311_123421Smaller.jpg 20180311_123119Smaller.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back