The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Matt, It is sad to see you are letting this project go but you are right, life is short and there are more important things to do.
As for your other projects KEEP POSTING! You are an inspiration to watch and you are most certainly a fantastic artist!
I hope everything with your health finally clears up and you remain healthy so you can continue what you love.

Take great care and hope to see more of your projects posted, Larry

Matt, It is sad to see you are letting this project go but you are right, life is short and there are more important things to do.
As for your other projects KEEP POSTING! You are an inspiration to watch and you are most certainly a fantastic artist!
I hope everything with your health finally clears up and you remain healthy so you can continue what you love.

Very well stated. Looking forward to seeing some more of your inspiring and enlightening videos and posts soon. Warmest regards.

cb3611bffc2bbf0e0eb05a8c6dd330e8.jpg

Who hasnt passed along a project? Hell, Ive got a few around here im thinking about kicking to the curb (wife hahah). I got about 70% building a car once. When the buyer showed up with a pickup and a trailer, I couldnt throw enough parts and specialty tools at him. Bought my first exotic and never looked back.

Nothing a blender of good Margaritas cant fix. Here's to the future.

Sorry to hear this, Matt, but looking forward to whatever your next project might be.

Best of luck on your recovery all around!

Sean

This sucks Matt. So sorry to hear you got the runaround are giving it up and that your health is being a stubborn ****. Life can be a beeotch sometimes.

If the next owner happens upon this post: PM me if you want to know the identification of the dash gauges, the side mechanics, the afterburner, the turbine, turbine nozzle and even some of the aircraft components inside the cockpit. I have many of these components sitting in my office. Also, paint it with flip flop. It is very luxurious and makes the details "pop" beautifully. :)

19511189_1902415403306726_2101464838653058915_n.jpg

Good luck Matt with your next project, and take care of yourself first. I'm glad that you're fixing these health problems early on. Best of luck with your law suits as well, I'm sure you will prevail.

Last edited:
I'm most sad to hear about your health problems, Matt. I hope you will recover fully in the end. Indead health is the most important thing in the world. Sadly I have experienced this myself, not with my own health, unfortunately, but with the health of my son. I'd much rather be the one affected with his illness, than the little guy (he is only 6). Indeed health issues put things in the right perspective.

Nevertheless, you did a hell of a job on this project so far, and I hope someone from the RPF takes over the project and is able to finish it with as much love and dedication as you did, and the new owner shares pics of the progress here on the forum.

All the best, Matt!

So Sorry to hear this Matt. I have watched with much interest, your build from the start. I am sorry to hear about your health too. Make sure to take care of yourself, and I thank you for all the posts and videos on this build. The journey may not have ended in a completed project for you, but the journey was amazing to watch none-the-less.

For the curious, my reasons for letting go of this lifelong dream of a project are many. I'll list a few here, just in case anyone is curious. I will start by saying this has been an incredible journey, and I have met some amazing people and had some great experiences due to this car.

1. Heartbreak. I have been silent on all of this during the past few years, but the punchline is I have been ripped off six ways till sunday by a handfull of people to the tune of ten thousand bucks and a couple years of hand wringing. People can be terrible, and money makes terrible people even worse. I have been lied to, betrayed by people I thought were friends, and backstabbed by vendors I had engaged in good faith to help with this project. Its hard for me to look at the car without having all of those feelings surface, my blood boil, and my barely suppressed anger come racing to the surface. It's just tough.

2. I think I have also come to the realization that this project is simply outside of the scope of my skills. Which is a bummer, and a really tough thing to admit. I originally thought I could simply learn any skills I needed to learn in order to bring his project home, as that has traditionally been my M.O. which has served me well for decades. Don't know how to do something?? learn!! However building a car from essentially the ground up is a whole different beast. The fact that my personal safety is interwoven with the project makes it an order of magnitude more difficult. I've also realized, perhaps as a result of item number one above, that I just don't have the perseverance to see it through. I find myself wanting to work on other projects more, smaller ones that provide quicker wins. It's weird.

3. My health. For those of you who are IRL or facebook friends with me, you know that I have had a number of non-trivial run-ins with skin cancer over the past few years, with no signs of them stopping. I just had another face surgery a couple of weeks ago, and recently started on a chemotherapy treatment which has revealed numerous other cancerous growths on my nose. I guess stuff like that just gives me perspective. I'm about to get a much needed corrective surgery done on my foot which will put me out of commission for about three or four months. I guess my point is that health problems seem to put things in perspective. Life is short, and I think my time is better spent on things that I really LOVE doing, not things that I am doing simply out of stubbornness.

I still love the 89 car and it will forever remain to me the coolest batmobile ever built. And maybe over time things will change and I will revisit the project. but for now, I think it's just time to take a step back and re-assess.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to write up a "lessons learned" post too. I'm sure it's been done before, and was promptly ignored by everyone, but I swear if just ONE person can avoid some of the mistakes I made during this build, I guess it will be worth it. :D

Too bad to hear this, I just discovered this fantastic thread and all of the related videos and stuff.
This is the reason I'm here in The RPF, to follow as brave people, as You are, in their journey towards their Holy Grail.
Good luck with Your health, this is real piority period!

Regards,

Alberto

Who among you is familiar with the game Donkey Kong?

And who would like to guess what this game has in common with the Mattmobile project?

Is it a bad translation. MONKEY KONG ending up as Donkey Kong....

Mattmobile/Batmobile?

Or..... your memory of both 80's icons have been tarnished due to recent experiences?

Or..... both had monkeys involved in them. And one was worse off for it. I HATE DONKEY KONG!

Not really but..... you know.

Do you still have the Mattmobile or has it been passed on yet?

Such a great build and loved the updates until........ well you know:cry

Hmm, Donkey Kong has 4 stages that you play repeatedly with each iteration becoming more difficult.

Since you already attempted one Mattmobile, have you bought three new project cars with each to be turned into a more challenging Mattmobile? ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back