How to remove uncured Resin of hardened Resin

Alfr3d

Hello everyone!

I just molded my first real Prop (Thomas Daft Punk Helmet), and on my 2nd casting it seems like somehow some uncured Resin dripped into the mold before the first slush-casting layer. Now I have a good looking Daft Punk Helmet with a thin layer of uncured Resin(Smooth-Cast 65D) on top of some parts of the Helmet. What would be the best way to remove that layer without destroying the Helmet itself? would acetone work or would that destroy/dissolve the cured Resin too?

tl;dr: How can I remove uncured Resin(Smooth-Cast 65D(1:1 mixture)) of a (cured) Resin Prop without damaging it? Acetone?

Thank You in Advance!!!

Scoop out the uncured stuff, clean the area with acetone, let that cure, and then patch those spots with epoxy putty. I mean, that's what I'd do. Dunno if that's the "right" way to go about it though.

Scoop out the uncured stuff, clean the area with acetone, let that cure, and then patch those spots with epoxy putty. I mean, that's what I'd do. Dunno if that's the "right" way to go about it though.

Hey, that's pretty good! I've never had this happen to me but good to know if it ever does happen.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back