The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

I'm pretty sure the entire mask is something sculpted, possibly two pieces that lock together based on what I remember seeing in the movie.

tumblr_n3ib44hWYw1t160bdo1_1280.jpg

Here's a picture off Sebastian Stan's instagram account where you can see it holds the shape, sits up right on its own, and has an overall rubbery quality. Not sure you'd get that with any fabric, but I've been approaching the mask with a 4-way stretch mesh over a more rigid base that I did up to fit my face.

Last edited:
Hey all! I'm joining this thread because I'm going to be making my Hubby a Winter Soldier costume for this Halloween. I'm cool with sewing stuff so hopefully the vest/jacket will be not to difficult to put together but I'm curious about the pants. I haven't really seen to much discussion about them when I looked back through the posts and wanted to know a couple of things:
-Is it most likely the pants are also custom?
-If they are custom is there an existing pant that would resemble them the most that could be modified?
-If I just make them from scratch what fabric would everyone suggest? Canvas/linen/some form of dickie pant material?

Sorry about the questions but I normally don't do a lot of tactical and military type costumes so it's a bit of a new world for me that I'm getting involved with haha.

Saw WS last night. Can confirm the one knife was a Gerber MkII he does most of his fighting with. The others couldnt identify yet.

Made the mistake seeing it in 3D, in the lower part of the theater(brothers in a wheel chair). Couldnt follow all the action.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey all! I'm joining this thread because I'm going to be making my Hubby a Winter Soldier costume for this Halloween. I'm cool with sewing stuff so hopefully the vest/jacket will be not to difficult to put together but I'm curious about the pants. I haven't really seen to much discussion about them when I looked back through the posts and wanted to know a couple of things:
-Is it most likely the pants are also custom?
-If they are custom is there an existing pant that would resemble them the most that could be modified?
-If I just make them from scratch what fabric would everyone suggest? Canvas/linen/some form of dickie pant material?

Sorry about the questions but I normally don't do a lot of tactical and military type costumes so it's a bit of a new world for me that I'm getting involved with haha.

I've just bought black BDU pants. They're not 100% screen accurate but they're close. If you really wanted to be accurate you could modify them, but otherwise I don't think anyone will notice. They're made of a drill/twill. The ref pics look like they're just military pants rather than leather. Hope that helps :)

I've just bought black BDU pants. They're not 100% screen accurate but they're close. If you really wanted to be accurate you could modify them, but otherwise I don't think anyone will notice. They're made of a drill/twill. The ref pics look like they're just military pants rather than leather. Hope that helps :)

I bought these.
Emerson%20CP%20Gen2%20style%20Tactical%20Pants%20Black.jpg

After a few hours of squinting at stills, pausing trailers and B-roll. Finally found the optic on WS' M4: Academy - EOTech XPS2 1x Holographic Sight

Hefty price tag, but the EOTECH logo and markings on the top, the battery port on the front, and the recessed adjustment screws match. Unfortunately i don't have a screen grab or photo to show comparison, but i'm 95% sure that's it.

Last edited:
Glad indeed to join in on this thread - clearly it's gonna prove an invaluable resource for me too! May be next year by the time I get my WS together, but hey, all the more time then for the great ref and the fab links like this to keep showing up, to be scouted and hunted down somehow or another. :D Yay!! *already making frenzied notes*

well, just keep this in mind. Winter Soldier wears a turtleneck under all his gear. check the neck line and his right sleeve cuff in the stills and footage, you'll see it.

I debuted my WS cosplay on the weekend so I thought I would share my arm build in case it's helpful!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I built a foam muscle suit (just the arms) since being a woman and not exactly that buff I needed to fake it. The muscles I made from the foam suit are what I used to shape the Worbla cyber arm. Much like the stunt arm used for filming I made it in two parts (plus the glove with fingers, which I've also posted earlier in this thread). I used some silver spandex for the elbow and shoulder. I used body filler to even out the surface (you will invariably get some crinkles with the Worbla), then primed, and then gave several coats of Spray Putty. I was originally going to etch in the details, but I found that there was a chance of the putty/primer layers might lift off - I had some cracking and lifting in areas, so I went over with a layer of PVA to be safe and fill in the fine hairline cracks. It was my first time using the Putty and filler, so I may have done something wrong. Instead we sprayed a coat of black, masked off the details with painters tape and then sprayed with the chrome paint. It was the night before the con so it was the best solution for the time frame, but I think it worked pretty well.

The arm pieces are not actually attached, they slip over my muscle suit and just stay on. I do need to attach a strap for the top piece at the shoulder, as it does slip down a little, and I don't like how the shoulder lifts up. But again, I was running out of time, so I'll add that before I next wear it out. Pics below. Any question fire away, but I hope it's useful for anyone looking at cosplaying dear Bucky :) Oh, and I also custom built a screen accurate harness, so I can post that process too if anyone is interested!

IMG_4430.jpgIMG_4487.jpgIMG_4504.JPGIMG_4508.jpgIMG_4521.jpgIMG_4534.JPGIMG_4552.JPG

Anyone having luck with the goggles. Was looking at ski/snowboarding goggles. Can't seem to find the right lens shape tho

the goggles ws wears are definitely custom made. there're two straps per side, looking close at the design it actually looks like a domino mask around the lenses. probably inspired by bucky's domino mask in the comics.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back