I bought a recast...Now What?

DeathFromADesk

Greetings,
I hope this is the right area to post this, if it is not I apologize, and hope that the moderators can find the benevolence to move it.

So I am trying to amass a small armory of prop weaponry, and in trying to do so I bought this:

Blade Runner PKD Blaster Prop KIT Deckard | eBay

I bought it very near the time I found this forum and joined. Shortly after joining, I found out that this is a re-cast of a Rick Ross blaster. I didn't know that it was a knockoff until I was told on these very pages. From some other posts I'v seen it can be cleaned up and made into a decent piece.

I understand the issues and feelings toward recasters and totally agree. My father was a Renaisance fair / SCA armor maker and my mother has been a semi-pro graphic artist, so I get it and don't condone it.

Now my question is, can I build it up and post pics on the boards, or should I just build it quietly and put it on the shelf? I want to share the work I put into it, but don't want to be ostracized for buying and building recasted models (albeit inadvertently)
Any advice would be appreciated.

Now if you'll excuse me, my inexperience is showing...

Just fix it up and finish it and display it. As stated already.... We all made the mistake in the beginning.
Just display it and if you ever sell it, be honest about it and understand that some night not want to buy it because of the lineage.
Other than that... I believe all is good ;)

Part of the problem is also that Rick's real casts have been out of commission for a long time, so the trail of info that would lead back to his originals is hard to find. I would just advise that if you do a build/showoff thread, add a note saying it was a recast (just so it pops in RPF/Google searches and such) so that you can help others avoid the same situation.

As Moviefreak said, if you end up selling it down the line, make sure to be fully clear that it was a recast kit.

Until then, enjoy your build and do your best with it.

I think you should be OK to display it on here, the work you do on it is your own and its not like you knew it was as re cast prior to buying or actually recasted it yourself.

grind it up with some whey protein and it will give you strength!

In all seriousness - try and avoid them in the future. They not only take away from the main propmaker, but you are more than likely getting an inferior product. In this world, you get what you paid for and it's a lesson that many have forgotten. Many people now settle for "close enough", "it looks about right", or "cheap alternative to...." But if we did that back in the day the RPF wouldn't even exist.

I think it'd still be cool to see what he can do with it. Nothing like taking someones shoddy work and showing what can be done when you know what you're doing.

It's just too bad someone made money off the shoddy work they did off someone's good work.

the whole 'bleh' factor of recasts stems directly from the element of dishonesty - passing off someone else's hard work as your own.

the seller you bought it from was dishonest.

so far, you're not - so i say go forth and build, but never pass it off as something it's not :thumbsup

...or should I just build it quietly and put it on the shelf? I want to share the work I put into it, but don't want to be ostracized for buying and building recast-- models...

Boy,this is exactly what I felt and ended up doing since I was so embarrassed. I have several recast stormtrooper helmets from the T*E era. I did not understand the recast issue until after joining either.

All,

Thanks for the advice and tips on how to proceed. I appreciate the work and talent on these boards and didn't want to ruffle any feathers by showing off a recast product.

An update:

So I ended up returning the item. When I got it in, it was really, really, really crappy. It was warped, several thousand air bubbles, and the directions were for the Rick Ross PKD, which hardly resembled what I got in the box. So in all likelyhood, I will be saving my pennies and buying one of Racprops kits in the future.

I'd rather build something I know is quality than trying to turn quality from something that is not.

Thanks everybody.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back