Halloween 2018

Saw the thread title.

Came here to tell everyone what I/my family were dressing up as this Halloween.

Read the first post.

Move along. Move along.

SB

Looks promising, I like that they’re taking it seriously and does not look like a Blumhouse schlock like Ouija or Purge or whatever (the close the closet door though was a bit cringey). Dialogue is a bit ropey here n there - “Your grandma is Laurie Strode!”, well thanks gor the inconspicuous exposition.
But all in all this could be a cool film, I’m rooting for it.

TBH, I'm not sure what to think. The trailer makes it out to be a lot of "Jamie Lee Curtis buries the hatchet" like H20 was, and with just as much cringe in between.

The tone feels off. Like they're trying to force a "Heeeere's Michael!" thing. Way too much gratuitous showing off of Michael along with predictable kills and bad set ups to them. What made the original great was how much in the background Michael stayed for the first hour and 15 minutes of the movie. He's an ever present shape in the background. It doesn't work when you have him up front and center in the daylight showing him off like he's on parade. Maybe the trailer is just showing all the money shots up front, but honestly the tone of it feels off. It feels like they're trying to sell Michael instead of the cast which is what worries me. The worst thing a horror movie can do is under develop the victims. Halloween has always remained a cut above the rest because it developed its characters to where you care about whether they live or die. You spend an hour getting to know them instead of seeing them knocked off 20 minutes after their introduction.

I think you can sell a modern audience Halloween without every shot having Michael in it. Part of Halloween is the feeling of dread it creates. That tingle on the back of your neck that you're being watched. This trailer didn't seem to want to sell me a scary movie, it seemed to want to sell me "Michael Myers & Laurie Strode: here they are together again!"

As a 42 year old who works with teens, including teaching a film class, I'm here to tell you that subtlety ain't gonna get butts in seats. Michael Myers is the brand. Tingles on the back of the neck isn't gonna pay the bills. You need a clown jumping at the camera every eight minutes, and the plot needs to be only slightly north of the Cat in the Hat. Most young people I know find the original boring. Obviously they're stupid and wrong, but...it's 2018. The movie is gonna be a 2018 movie. You can't go home again.

Ok, this film takes place decades after the original. So we're supposed to disregard the other films over the years, including H20. The whole "baby sister" deal seems to be out the window, which I'm a little disappointed over. I think I'll pass and read the plot on Wiki when this one comes out.:behave

As a 42 year old who works with teens, including teaching a film class, I'm here to tell you that subtlety ain't gonna get butts in seats. Michael Myers is the brand. Tingles on the back of the neck isn't gonna pay the bills. You need a clown jumping at the camera every eight minutes, and the plot needs to be only slightly north of the Cat in the Hat. Most young people I know find the original boring. Obviously they're stupid and wrong, but...it's 2018. The movie is gonna be a 2018 movie. You can't go home again.
Idunno, the Conjuring franchise is basically built on "tingles". It's good old fashioned paranoia horror and admittedly some of the most quality horror we've gotten in a long time.

Ok, this film takes place decades after the original. So we're supposed to disregard the other films over the years, including H20. The whole "baby sister" deal seems to be out the window, which I'm a little disappointed over. I think I'll pass and read the plot on Wiki when this one comes out.:behave

Yes. Since day one of them announcing this new film, they have been upfront and honest that it will be a direct sequel to the original first movie. They said it will disregard all of the films that followed the first film.

One nitpick I would say though after watching this trailer a few times...if they wanted to get away from the many sequels and keep it somewhat grounded unlike Jason and Freddy they could have changed Michael's outfit a bit. It's like the man is addicted to wearing black coveralls. Mask I understand, but seeing him killing a mechanic and taking a black coverall for the third time...:)

One nitpick I would say though after watching this trailer a few times...if they wanted to get away from the many sequels and keep it somewhat grounded unlike Jason and Freddy they could have changed Michael's outfit a bit. It's like the man is addicted to wearing black coveralls. Mask I understand, but seeing him killing a mechanic and taking a black coverall for the third time...:)

BLACK coverall? :confused

Not Laurie's brother, and getting captured? WTF :facepalm

BLACK coverall? :confused

Not Laurie's brother, and getting captured? WTF :facepalm

What was it then grey or navy blue? It always looked worn black to me...
I’m okay with not being Laurie’s brother, never liked that aspect but that’s just me. Getting captured I kinda agree with, kinda retcons H1 ending but curious if they manage to pull that off. Can’t be worse than the comical Looney Tunes-esque man-shaped mark on the grass in H2. :lol

What was it then grey or navy blue? It always looked worn black to me...
I’m okay with not being Laurie’s brother, never liked that aspect but that’s just me. Getting captured I kinda agree with, kinda retcons H1 ending but curious if they manage to pull that off. Can’t be worse than the comical Looney Tunes-esque man-shaped mark on the grass in H2. :lol

Neither actually, spruce green :p

Neither actually, spruce green :p
Oh wow...now I feel stupid, but you always learn something new. I'm familiar with the masks and can easily distinguish those but never paid much attention to other parts of the costume. Guess that's what a prop forum is good for. :)
I remember similar debates about the pulse rifle in Aliens and Blondie's poncho. Not to mention the TIE fighters.

I personally think that they were a very dirtied up Olivewood in H1.

The new ones in this film are Charcoal Workrite coveralls. Grey-ish with a blue tint to them in the right lighting.

Spruce green is not 100% confirmed in H1 (it is 100% confirmed for H2 though).
We had a Myers statue to do at work and we tried three different colors and the studio who owns the rights kept saying no.... they finally made us paint the overalls in blue and then approved it. :facepalm

Then collectors ask why colors and details are wrong.... they wouldn’t believe that the actual studio is the one who made the decision. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back