Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
My issue with this is, Obi Wan had a bond with Luke. He sacrificed himself for Luke. And with the PT we learn that he was actually watching over him from afar his whole life. This gives those force ghost scenes a lot of oomph.

But Luke barely met Rey. She was there all of 30 hours. He gave her two out of three lessons on why she shouldn't be a Jedi. And after attacking him, she stormed off the island like a churlish, self destructive child, never to see Luke again. She doesn't even witness his sacrifice on Crait. Call me jaded, but this is not a force ghost reunion I'm excited to see. As for Luke and Kylo, he didn't have much to say to him when he was on Crait talking to his face.

That was before Yoda chewed him out, before he re-engaged with the universe, etc. I think after we saw what Luke did after Rey left, him manifesting to Ben is a distinct possibility. I can almost see a dynamic like between Luke and Cade in the now-defunct Legacy comics.

I can't listen to the entire vid as I'm at work now, just checked the title. It's on record that JJ wanted TFA to end with Luke levitating massive rocks and floating above the ground while meditating when Rey finds him. Simon Pegg also said that JJ had brief outlines about the sequels and Daisy also said that JJ had specific ideas about Rey's lineage. Mark even said about Colin Trevorrow that they really saw eye-to-eye regarding Luke's role in Ep 9, so my assumption is that Luke's fate changed after Colin was fired. Unless they really agreed on what kinda Force-ghost he would be. :)

Colin told Daisy the ending of IX and it had her in tears. He promised fans a "profoundly satisfying answer" to Rey's background. And Mark has also said, in relation to the floating rocks and his Jedi robes, that JJ had a completely different vision for Luke than Rian did. He says it here, at 28:46.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my friends threw on TFA last night before we went off to see Solo. Watching it felt like I was watching a video of my ex-girlfriend. So painful to watch now after TLJ. RJ really created a cancer for this franchise. So sad.

Are you sure, because both felt like really horrible fan films. Just because one made a bigger turd sandwich to eat doesn't mean the other one is delicious.

Are you sure, because both felt like really horrible fan films. Just because one made a bigger turd sandwich to eat doesn't mean the other one is delicious.

Ha, I know many people didn't like TFA but I fell in love with it. Well, I fell in love with the new characters, Rey, Finn, Poe. The story was just an obvious rehash of ANH but I really like where JJ was taking us. Oh well.

Last edited:
Looks like Jar Jar is no longer the most annoying, and I agree.
Most Annoying sidekick.jpg

How do you guys feel about geeks and gamers opinions? I feel like SW fans are now the purest form of a threat to the franchise.

I think it's murkier than that, Huyang. First, speaking only for myself, I was trained by my parents without realizing from an early age to question and re-examine my beliefs ongoingly. Test theories against evidence. Be mindful of preconceptions and bias. So I'm one of the people who tries to be aware of just how much I've internalized over the last forty years from sources other than the films themselves, and use that as a base metric to hold the newer films against. I also have a partial film-school education under my belt (I'd still like to finish, but I'm not going to mortgage my future with a usurious student loan). So while I have issues with every Star Wars film, gradually escalating from ROTJ on, I try to keep them as objective and well-reasoned as I can. I also try to propose solutions for the issues I perceive, rather than just complain.

But while I have delved deeply into the Star Wars universe, while it's a sandbox I love playing in and revisiting often, while the vast majority of the costumes I'm working on are Star Wars related, and while I'm a demon in Star Wars trivia contests, I don't consider myself a fan. The word is derived from fanatic, and I do see that kind of rabid, often-irrational fervor from many corners of the internet and real life. There are people who suscribe to conspiracy theories and their own pet prejudices, impervious to such trivial things as facts. Rational counter-arguments don't make a dent. They've made up their minds what Star Wars "should" be, and when it doesn't conform to that, they go berserk.

Looking back through history, and speaking as broadly as I can so as to not invoke the wrath of the mods for invoking politics or religion, fanatics tend to be responsible for some of the worst social ills we've endured over the ages. Stubborn belief trumping rational discourse. I've been seeing the conversations on all the new Star Wars films go in circles where some try to have rational discussions and debates, where they acknowledge flaws and put forth proposed ways it might have been done differently and debate which of those -- if any -- might actually have resulted in a better telling of the story, etc. But then others derail things with a chorus that basically boils down to "it was the worst thing ever and if you like it you're an idiot", and no amount of attempts to engage in actual open-minded conversation sway them from their position.

So yes, as with any population subset, the hardcore zealots tend to be the most dangerous to the group, to the perception of the group by those not in it, and to the shared, unifying thing that subset are all into in the first place. If anyone's going to "destroy" Star Wars, it'd be the more devout fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone's going to "destroy" Star Wars, it'd be the more devout fans.

Hogwash. The absolute SWIQ standard was set with the theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. All the filmmakers had to do going forward was to continue stories and create new ones, while adhering to that standard. But beginning with ROTJ, the filmmakers--from Lucas' LFL to Disney's LFL--had to get too cute, too clever by half, too convoluted, too political, too preachy, too fast in pace, too artsy, too terrestrial and modern in their films' look and feel, and too greedy in how quickly the films are being churned out.

The fans--none of them--are the problem. The problem lies squarely with the low-SWIQ rightsholders of the franchise, and the low-SWIQ filmmakers they hire to make their SWINO films. They are SWINO films, because they are Star Wars In Name Only.

The Wook

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back