Solo: A Star Wars Story

If this was, say, a Firefly origin movie or better yet a stand alone Sci-Fi film without Star Wars in the title with the exact same plot, characters, and action, would it be getting ripped to shreds?

Well, it's being ripped to shreds in places you have a proclivity to engage with. The general consensus seems much more moderate and that it's a fun film, like I said 7/10 with top critics. Beware observational bias on social media.

Jeremy Jahns did not care for this film.

Jeremy said by comparison, Lando was good because the performances were so underwhelming he stood out.

Han was passable, he forgot Woody Harrelson was in the film. Paul Bettany shows up like twice, on a different planet.

There is no villain. The action was sporadic and random and the dramatic scenes were cut short. The entire film was a slog due to pacing issues.

This is coming from a guy who wears his star wars bedsheets from when he was a kid like a cape.

Jeremy Jahns did not care for this film.

Jeremy said by comparison, Lando was good because the performances were so underwhelming he stood out.

Han was passable, he forgot Woody Harrelson was in the film. Paul Bettany shows up like twice, on a different planet.

There is no villain. The action was sporadic and random and the dramatic scenes were cut short. The entire film was a slog due to pacing issues.

This is coming from a guy who wears his star wars bedsheets from when he was a kid like a cape.

I don't know who that is so I can't opine. I can say I'm a 50 year old man with Star Wars toys all around my house but not sure that makes me an expert. :)

Fair enough Bryancd. I just hope Star Wars does not become the DCEU for Disney. I know I bitch a lot about Star Wars, but it comes from a deep love that began when I first started my Star Wars journey at age 4. I just don't want to settle for "meh" or safe, cookie cutter films. Maybe I just can't accept that NU-SW may just not be for me, or my age group anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I followed the TLJ thread here pretty closely, and talked to scores of fans in the real world about the film, and I never once heard a fan bash Disney over Luke being 40 years older than he was in the OT.

Im not directly responding to you here, Wook, but this brings something front of mind. I loved TLJ, BUT, it was work. It was a chore. It was challenging to accept no doubt. I look at Solo as an amuse bouche, an opportunity to leave the heavy Saga films and even R1, and just have some fun in the SW universe.

Fair enough @Bryancd. I just hope Star Wars does not become the DCEU for Disney. I know I bitch a lot about Star Wars, but it comes from a deep love that began when I first started my Star Wars journey at age 4. I just don't want to settle for "meh" or safe, cookie cutter films. Maybe I just can't accept that NU-SW may just not be for me, or my age group anymore.

Well, at the end of the day, as in over the next 20+ years, Star Wars will be more like the MCU. For some of us older fans it will be hard. For the younger fans it will be just like Marvel, they will love some, hate some, but ty will grow up with it for generations. It will just be different from our experience. My son is 5 and he doesn't like the OT or PT but will watch the new films and cartoons. We need to pass this legacy on. It's not about us anymore, it's about them.

Wow. I followed the TLJ thread here pretty closely, and talked to scores of fans in the real world about the film, and I never once heard a fan bash Disney over Luke being 40 years older than he was in the OT.
Not in those exact words, but the criticism has certainly been made thoroughly that it sucks they made Luke an old man who doesn't get into the action anymore.

Well, it's being ripped to shreds in places you have a proclivity to engage with. The general consensus seems much more moderate and that it's a fun film, like I said 7/10 with top critics. Beware observational bias on social media.

Are these the same top critics who praised the dumpster fire that was TLJ?. I`d take observations on social media over self serving shill critics who are only interested in catering to their own career paths seven days a week.

- - - Updated - - -

An opinion of a single person I don't even know I don't find very compelling.

To be honest, I consider the views of RPFer's more compelling than critics.
I kind of like how Birdman talked about how critics never risk or produce anything only judge those that perform i.e. doing what the critic can't.

I just wish I had stayed out of the spoiler reviews.

They should have probably went with this poster first...
Better Solo Poster.jpg

To be honest, I consider the views of RPFer's more compelling than critics.
I kind of like how Birdman talked about how critics never risk or produce anything only judge those that perform i.e. doing what the critic can't.

I just wish I had stayed out of the spoiler reviews.

Again, the RPF is a tiny and VERY selective group not really adaqiete for any meaningful market research. But I understand your point. :)

Not to derail things too far, but I don't think the critical enthusiasm for TLJ was all phony. The movie did seem to please grown up film lovers more while it frustrated SW lovers more. That's how it was among my friends & family.

Now that Cannes has come and gone, are there any (credible) plot synopses out there? I'm not buying that one that came out after the L.A. premiere, which put
Darth Maul
in the film. God, I HOPE that one's bogus.

Any links would be appreciated, for a full spoiler story synopsis.

Thanks,

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back