Build Thread for my take on the ROTJ Luke Lightsaber (fully machined)

OK, working on videos a lot tonight, uploaded 5.1 where I am laying out the main portion of the handle. I'll try to get 5.2 up shortly which will be cutting the ribbed section.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, Part 5.2 is now uploaded:

Should have Part 5.3 later tonight. Part 6 will be the epic failure with the almost recovery Postmortem review.

Man I got a lot of catching up to do! This will give me something to watch tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And part one of the pommel (the good part)
still putting together the video for the part that everything got messed up on.

great to see lightsabers being made on a lathe, really looking forward to have a lathe of my own! thanks for sharing and nice work :thumbsup

This is so awesome! I’m planning on machining one myself, so I’m following very closely. Luckily, the custom saber shop is selling just the activation box now, so I won’t have to worry about making it. I’m not sure my skill set is up to the task yet

This is so awesome! I’m planning on machining one myself, so I’m following very closely. Luckily, the custom saber shop is selling just the activation box now, so I won’t have to worry about making it. I’m not sure my skill set is up to the task yet
What tools do you have access to?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Some updates on the rework.

Spoiler alert: Success!
54f20a1adbafc819144e5d067cb50b2c.jpg
b2e9c1543f16722742d626994a8a5692.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A hobby lathe and a drill press. Machining laterally is my biggest problem.

some of it you could likely do in a 4 jaw chuck, but yea at first I thought just getting a giant drill press and a cross sliding vice for it would be enough. All it did was wet the appetite and make me want more.

Last edited:
some of it you could likely do in a 4 jaw chuck, but yea at first I thought just getting a giant drill press and a cross sliding vice for it would be enough. All it did was wet the appetite and make me want more.
True. I have the cross slide vise. I’m sure I will want more lol. At least TCSS sells a fairly accurate pommel and the control box. The rest I can handle on the lathe. I’m really liking your videos, they’re very helpful.

started milling the control boxes last night, going to try to post the next video tonight or tomorrow.

A longer video, but it has a lot of the cooler milling steps. Also has the ruined parts.

How the hell did I miss the pommel update?!?!

Dying with anxiety, I know what I’m watching when I get home! Screw jersey shore!! I’m watching lightsaber fabrication!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back