Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

The pommel cubes could also look different because they physically stick out more thus being more prone to banging against things and wear. We know the hole for the mystery chunk was originally there for wires, not a screw. From a machining perspective, it would not make sense for the cubes to be separate as the prop was cast originally as we know. If it had been machined it could make more sense for it to be multiple pieces. Hard to tell what we are actually seeing with the lighting and 40 years of wear.

The pommel cubes could also look different because they physically stick out more thus being more prone to banging against things and wear. We know the hole for the mystery chunk was originally there for wires, not a screw. From a machining perspective, it would not make sense for the cubes to be separate as the prop was cast originally as we know. If it had been machined it could make more sense for it to be multiple pieces. Hard to tell what we are actually seeing with the lighting and 40 years of wear.

Right, there were two holes in the bottom of the saber as used as an Obi-Wan stunt in ANH-- one for wires and one for the toggle switch. The cone knob covers one, the mystery chunk covers the other.

As best as I can tell the video is being served at 960x540 to me - I'll take a more detailed look later to see if there are any options to get a higher resolution stream. The capture below is at the window size I happened to be viewing, so it's enlarged. It was captured when the camera stopped zooming and the saber is in its most focused state.

View attachment 698921

The cubes and booster are definitely duller than the section in between holding the mystery chunk. And possibly the pommel bottom. Could tape have been applied to these areas on the V2 as it appears they were on the V3? Those areas look almost as shiny as the clamp, just like the V3...

I think there are hundreds of possible ways this thing could be assembled (after having been cast and cut apart/modified) and it's unlikely we'll ever know al the details unless someone spends some time with the prop in person to carefully document how it disassembles.

If you look through all the screen shots and watch the video, the lighting makes the parts all change appearance quite significantly from moment to moment. It might be just different wear on the base and upper pommel sections on either end of the large-knurled section. I'm pretty sure there's no tape there now nor was there while filming the movies.

The chances that it has the exact same reflectivity as the V3--shiny cap, dull cubes, shiny mystery chunk ring, dull booster section--where we can see this is being caused on the V3's by tape on the cap and mystery chunk ring, and attribute it to lighting on the V2... I'm not buying it.

I think that's tape in the same spots it appears on the V3.

I think there are hundreds of possible ways this thing could be assembled (after having been cast and cut apart/modified) and it's unlikely we'll ever know al the details unless someone spends some time with the prop in person to carefully document how it disassembles.

If you look through all the screen shots and watch the video, the lighting makes the parts all change appearance quite significantly from moment to moment. It might be just different wear on the base and upper pommel sections on either end of the large-knurled section. I'm pretty sure there's no tape there now nor was there while filming the movies.

Yea, nothing about what we saw screamed tape to me. Also, this seems to have been abused much more than the V3, tape wouldn't hold up, just look at the gaffer tape :)

Having viewed the teaser video and photos/screengrabs a few times, it seems the "flat" surfaces of the pommel in front of and behind the cubes are smoother and more polished than the cubes. If that's the case, they would reflect light differently which would account for the difference in appearance/color.

Having viewed the teaser video and photos/screengrabs a few times, it seems the "flat" surfaces of the pommel in front of and behind the cubes are smoother and more polished than the cubes.

Makes sense because this thing was turned on a lathe to clean it up - you can't turn the "knurls" (cubes) on the pommel.

I think if there was tape, our buddy Scott would of let us know about it.

I just think the cubes and booster is duller then the rest of the body

Do we know for a fact the V2 was cast out of aluminum? This would make sense to be if turn with the cubes being a different color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense because this thing was turned on a lathe to clean it up - you can't turn the "knurls" (cubes) on the pommel.

The booster section is circular and easy to machine/clean up. The absence of any hint of a seam would imply that it was. So why would it be dull just like the cubes? Then you have the pommel, and you can see machine marks on the cube edges. That being the case, wouldn't the pommel be lighter if it had been machined after casting?

I'm definitely not married to the idea of tape above/below the pommel cubes. But those areas are smoother/brighter than the cubes and booster section for some reason.

We don't know how many casts were made. We don't know what each one looked like. We don't know if they mixed and matched multiple cut pieces from multiple casts to make one saber. It's entirely possible that parts from different casts were combined and that those parts had slightly different aluminum consistency/look. I have here hundreds of pieces of 1/4 T6061 aluminum rod and there are obvious differences in coloring between production batches (bought at two different times during a single year).
The booster section was fully painted at one point. Was it chemically etched prior to painting causing the surface finish of the aluminum to change? Who knows.

But there's no evidence there's tape on the parts of the V2 saber that feature tape on the shared stunt. It doesn't look like tape in any photo or video. Watching the whole segment of this latest video it's very obvious there's not that much difference in appearance between different parts of the saber either and no difference that can positively ruled to be anything but lighting, angles and wear.

But aluminum tape is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. If someone wants to put it on their saber, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think if there was tape, our buddy Scott would of let us know about it.

I just think the cubes and booster is duller then the rest of the body

Do we know for a fact the V2 was cast out of aluminum? This would make sense to be if turn with the cubes being a different color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scottjua, can you confirm/deny any tape on the bottom sections?

Last edited by a moderator:
NO tape...

Ok, many thanks...So now I guess we have to decide to alter the tone of the lower sections by either polishing the end cap and section above the cubes to brighten them, or dull the cubes and booster. But I do want to represent that slight change in sheen somehow...I'll figure it out...

Ok, many thanks...So now I guess we have to decide to alter the tone of the lower sections by either polishing the end cap and section above the cubes to brighten them, or dull the cubes and booster. But I do want to represent that slight change in sheen somehow...I'll figure it out...

Etch the parts you want dull with an acidic bath. Also etch the parts you want to paint.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back