Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

Man, am I the only one who got black strong instead of ultra detail? Now I feel like an idiot.

I did the same but ordered 5.
The problem is, I thought all 3D printed parts were basically the same. And did not bother reading the details
I thought the only difference was it was in clear and the price.

But after someone posting the clear piece here, its was too late.

Cause the strong black's surface is rough and powdery. I been using sand paper, old paint brush heads and blades to remove the power and smooth the surface. Its really a pain. and who knows what they look after I primer them, could still be rough.

so, What I might do, is sell the strong blacks on Ebay to get my money back and order the ultra fine clear

I demolded the grips this morning. The faces were still tacky. After sitting out in the open all day, the face is still tacky. The back side of the grips were not. That cured perfectly. I wonder if it was the mold itself that caused the resin not to cure completely. Resin experts?

I think I am done fiddling with mine out of fear of screwing up something I am already very satisfied with.

Latest updates were to add the red "LED" and use a Magic Eraser to knock some of the plastic luster off the grips. It looks much less shiny in real life than this picture while retaining the translucence.

Next is to make some accessories such as the ammo box, owners manual and range case. I might attempt to get my hands on a second one to take it even further.

20170927_155357.jpg

I ordered the Black Strong and very happy with the detail, a little grainy but nothing a light sanding and shot of primer won't fix.
IMG_1530.JPG
Thanks, Avagoyamug

So, by now I've received a good selection of Offworld upgrade parts in order to add some weight to my planned build, and the results of said purchases have varied somewhat.

The upper receiver is only marginally shorter than what was tooled for the water pistol, so I may be able to substitute it. A few things that bug me are the imprinted text isn't accurate and the discharge port is far more rounded at both ends than on other replicas I've seen.

The grip set, both the grip frame and butt, is significantly undersized than what was tooled for the water pistol. However, the trigger guard is sized about right.

I don't know if I'll be able to use everything as I intended given the disparity in size between the sourced parts and what's presently on the water pistol, but I'll do what I can.

So, by now I've received a good selection of Offworld upgrade parts in order to add some weight to my planned build, and the results of said purchases have varied somewhat.

The upper receiver is only marginally shorter than what was tooled for the water pistol, so I may be able to substitute it. A few things that bug me are the imprinted text isn't accurate and the discharge port is far more rounded at both ends than on other replicas I've seen.

The grip set, both the grip frame and butt, is significantly undersized than what was tooled for the water pistol. However, the trigger guard is sized about right.

I don't know if I'll be able to use everything as I intended given the disparity in size between the sourced parts and what's presently on the water pistol, but I'll do what I can.
The water pistols grips & butt aren't accurate. I havent measured the frame, but the grips are too large & the butt is too small

The water pistols grips & butt aren't accurate. I havent measured the frame, but the grips are too large & the butt is too small

Here are a couple of quick iphone photos of the water gun next to my Sidkit world-con. The Sid is generally considered to be a 'tad' over-size so you can see the water gun's dimensions are off in the thickness of the barrel/magazine section and depth of the grips. Can't compare it to my Tomenosuke as I haven't assembled it yet...

File 28-09-2017, 09 39 35.jpegFile 28-09-2017, 09 40 19.jpegFile 28-09-2017, 09 40 54.jpeg

This last picture is further distorted by the camera as the water gun is closer to the lens and so looks even bigger than it is.
2017-09-28 09.13.07-1.jpg

2017-09-28 09.13.07-1.jpg

File 28-09-2017, 09 39 35.jpeg

File 28-09-2017, 09 40 19.jpeg

File 28-09-2017, 09 40 54.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, okay. I've never owned nor held any other replica before, so I didn't realize that, lol. Thanks for the info ;)

He uploaded the model for people with 3d printers to print themselves but took it down not long after, would love to have got ahold of it before then :(

Actually, if you click on the link in Robiwon's post, you'll find it still available for download to print.

Here are a couple of quick iphone photos of the water gun next to my Sidkit world-con. The Sid is generally considered to be a 'tad' over-size so you can see the water gun's dimensions are off in the thickness of the barrel/magazine section and depth of the grips. Can't compare it to my Tomenosuke as I haven't assembled it yet...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting those comparison pics, [USER=142973]userd1402[/USER]! In that case, I'll go ahead and substitute those somewhat oversized parts on the water pistol with the more accurately sized Offworld upgrade parts. Awesomesauce :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you guys post a pic? I don't have experience with the shapeways materials... Might take black strong off the shop then...

It's not horrible by any stretch, but the pointed tip of the "pin" is much blunter than your 3D render, which was a tad disappointing...

2017-09-27 20.25.24.jpg2017-09-27 20.25.42.jpg

That's probably a result of the material. Mine was very pointy in the FUD material.

I try to get everything on Shapeways in the highest quality print material that I can afford. When I was testing the AW DL-44 test grills I had made I gave a shot at sanding one of the blanks. Yeah, no thanks. I'll splurge for the high detail print material.

I tried removing the grips from my blaster yesterday, without luck. I was able to get my xacto knife through one pin only...and then promptly cracked the grip while trying to get at another. I stopped at that point, I don't know if I can go forward with this. If I screw up the grips, I have no replacements!!!

I tried removing the grips from my blaster yesterday, without luck. I was able to get my xacto knife through one pin only...and then promptly cracked the grip while trying to get at another. I stopped at that point, I don't know if I can go forward with this. If I screw up the grips, I have no replacements!!!

Which version of the pistol do you have? Amber grips, or blue grips?

Oh, okay. I've never owned nor held any other replica before, so I didn't realize that, lol. Thanks for the info ;)

Actually, if you click on the link in @Robiwon's post, you'll find it still available for download to print.

Thanks for posting those comparison pics, @userd1402! In that case, I'll go ahead and substitute those somewhat oversized parts on the water pistol with the more accurately sized Offworld upgrade parts. Awesomesauce :D

I ended up making my own haha, here is 2 printed along with another inner grip.

20170929_164454.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back