Detention Center Camera Greeblies

Rebelscum

Sr Member
detention-cameras-06.jpg

Having recently finished the lights for these cameras I got to work on the slide viewer mounting plate and greeblies.

Chris Reiff was kind of enough to provide me details he used when he modeled them for the Death Star Owner's Technical Manual, with some of the pieces being found on turntables back in the day. Many will be familiar with the turntable parts being used elsewhere in Star Wars.

I used these details to design and machine the parts so you can make up your own camera.

We have also molded and cast, and are now painting the slide viewers for use as replicas. Pics of those to come quickly. Ideally, this will make it easier than trying to track down 6 real viewers that you have to likely paint as well.

Here's what all the parts look like, along with the lights we are already offering in the classifieds. Just as with the lights and our ark kit, these will be offered by Bluerealm in the classifieds soon.

camera-greeblies-73.jpg

camera-greeblies-72.jpg

camera-greeblies-70.jpg

camera-greeblies-71.jpg

This looks FANTASTIC!! :thumbsup It'll be very hard to resist on one! Any price do you have in mind for these, guys? Offering them finished or just kits?

Thanks guys. It really is a nice piece when done.

The viewers are very nice as casts, but it actually costs more for those than getting real ones if you can.

Here's some more pics, only thing left is a mount of some sort. Probably have to use a monitor mount with a standard vesa pattern and tap the back plate for them.

camera-greeblies-76.jpg

camera-greeblies-75.jpg

camera-greeblies-77.jpg

camera-greeblies-78.jpg

Awesome. :thumbsup

Thanks for offering these, had I known I'd have waited before ordering my lights so the machined parts could have been shipped together to save on shipping to Europe.

Still, 3 more viewer to find for me still.

Hey P,

If you wanted to add an LED to the lens, how are you attaching the housing? I noticed, on my order, the bolt pattern. What are you using to mount the housing to a panel that allows an LED to feed through?

Thanks!

Awesome. :thumbsup

Thanks for offering these, had I known I'd have waited before ordering my lights so the machined parts could have been shipped together to save on shipping to Europe..

Double that... Where can I order a backplate, aluminum greeblies and hardware?!

Hey P,

If you wanted to add an LED to the lens, how are you attaching the housing? I noticed, on my order, the bolt pattern. What are you using to mount the housing to a panel that allows an LED to feed through?

Thanks!

If you're lighting them, you need to use the nylon nut and bolt on the order page in the classifieds.

camera-greeblies-79.jpg

Hey Phillip. This looks great!
Any details on the paint and paint process u used for these casts and/or the original viewers?

Hey Phillip. This looks great!
Any details on the paint and paint process u used for these casts and/or the original viewers?

Sure.

Over at Blue Realm, they made a mold for rotocasting one of my original slide viewers that they disassembled to remove the lens from. They are rotocast with a blue tint, that is later painted with a single stage automotive paint.

They also molded and cast the front lens in clear, which is an amazing replica of it, but because the inside of the rotocast viewer isn't pretty, we elected to paint the back side of the lenses black. Which has the effect of making the lens opaque. We wish we'd have known this as we later cast them out of Onyx black and you cannot tell the difference between them, except the Onyx is cheaper. We made 60 clear ones before we realized this.

For color we had one of my single color viewers color matched for the paint. The casts are about 99%, with a few tiny spots from the resin that we would sand out with primer, but they are mostly unnoticeable and they are already pretty expensive to make, even more expensive that tracking them down on ebay generally is unfortunately.

The white around the lens is perfectly replicated by laser cutting a piece of .06" white acrylic and gluing it in.

I have a lot of the original viewers that I plan to use myself, but most of them are the incorrect two-tone color so we're going to paint all of them soon. Don't have any experience painting a real one yet.

Here's photos of the lens with a side-by-side photo of a clear one painted black and one cast in black Onyx.

camera-greeblies-81.jpg

camera-greeblies-82.jpg

camera-greeblies-80.jpg

I have 12 or 13 originals myself but they are multiple colors. I'm not sure how to get a matching color. . Will prob mask and prime them. But not sure if I should find a humbro or testers paint or is there a way to get a rattlecan or airbrush paint custom matched

any tips?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back