New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo

An example of this is knowing that many Bothans died stealing the plans to the second Death Star, not the first.

The Wook

Ok, so this post is like 4 days ago, which in fourm terms, is forever ago. But yeah, when Rogue One came out, I heard so many people talking about how we're going to see Bothans stealing the plans.
I actually just did a Star Wars quiz the other day, which was suppose to be hard. A few things I didn't know, but most, I did. But even the quiz got the Bothan thing wrong. I just laughed.

Ok, so this post is like 4 days ago, which in fourm terms, is forever ago. But yeah, when Rogue One came out, I heard so many people talking about how we're going to see Bothans stealing the plans.
I actually just did a Star Wars quiz the other day, which was suppose to be hard. A few things I didn't know, but most, I did. But even the quiz got the Bothan thing wrong. I just laughed.

if you really want to be pedantic, she says many Bothans dies to bring us this information but never said the Bothans actually stole the plans. :)

I have said before I don’t believe they have an over arching plan by design. If they had a strict story arc what great director or writer would want to step into that environment? These GOT guts is a good sign their instincts are correct, give creative people a chance. It may cause rumblings in parts of the fandom but the franchise can easily survive a few of those. But just a few. :)

Umm , Irwin Kershner ... TESB !? ;)

The market does not always show immediate changes. Interpret that how you will in regard to Disney Wars, but I believe you're going to see a brand that declines and declines until they decide to shift their tone. People don't like social issues being injected into their action adventure movies. That's not why people see them. If you want that go make a drama, but keep it out of my Star Wars. Just make a fun movie without hidden agendas or sociopolitical messages. It is the absolute fastest way to wear out an audience that's looking for some fun. If I wanted to get social agendas I'd turn on the news.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The OT was a commentary on fascism. The PT was a commentary on the corruption of capitalism by lobbyists and special interest groups. George Lucas threatened to sue the Reagan administration for using the term "Star Wars" to describe its proposed laser defense system. Maybe it hasn't always been as on the nose as TLJs WAR PROFITEERING IS BAD subplot, but Star War, and most good sci-fi, has always had political subtext.

That's the definition of subtext. If you're using knowingly loaded iconography, that alone is a commentary. It may not be super deep-- and I agree, TLJ was much more on the nose about it and could have been much more clever, but Lucas, a known staunch liberal, was never shy about sharing his views.

I have to be careful here cause it seems like the second I share a political view I get warned, so I'm going to play this as centrist as possible. Scifi and a fair amount of fantasy has always been used as a social allegory. It's one of the key things about the genre. Again-- I agree TLJ was way too on the nose, but to say all other SW is free of political commentary is just not true.

I think the problem is, our corrupt government (both parties) and our main stream media (the true terrorists) have divided us to the point that any given movie is assumed to have issues- whether it's liberals screaming about diversity casting, or conservatives screaming about SJW agendas, I don't think things have changed too much. I think we've been programmed, for better or worse, to be hyper aware of it.

And I do think this is on topic, because GOT has tons of political subtext to it. I don't know if that means they are going to imbue that into their SW projects or not.

At the end of the day though, I do agree with your core statement-- these things should be subtext, and not overt manifestos.

Last edited:
FFS! The line is 'many Bothans died to bring us this information'. That information was concerning the SECOND Deathstar.

This is the base line for evaluating SWIQ as explained repeatedly by @The Wook

And it had nothing to do with plans, only where it was and that the Emperor would be aboard.

And it had nothing to do with plans, only where it was and that the Emperor would be aboard.

Oh, and one more important piece of intel: that the Death Star's weapons systems were not yet operational.

I will update my example to include these high-SWIQ corrections brought to us by Bryancd and robn1.

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back