Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I ordered the Solo and Chewie from Shapeways... but they said that solo couldn't be processed! what the heck?!?!

These are images that Guy Cowan posted on Fb.....(originally posted by Jason Eaton a while ago)

They were taken by Bill George of ILM,....Guy also had this to say:"Some personal Pics of the Five Foot falcon taken By amazing Model builder Bill George, Having been a key personal at ILM for many years and knowing what he's talking about its interesting to see and read his explanation of how the 5 foot falcon was painted White not GREY, as a few of us keep saying but sometimes people just don't seem to understand it..... Amazing pics. Not quite DAZ white but Reefer White :), from a rattle can over blackish prime"
https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=775419&d=1511472700
https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=775420&d=1511472700
Dear Bill George,

Since you have unlimited access to the archives and can get within breathing distance of this masterpiece, can you please turn the radar dish around and flip it over? The OCD part of me can't take seeing it upside down any longer!:cheers

Thanks

I totally get that. I looked at the x-wing on my lunch box for HOURS. It's amazing that it was such a dark period for source pics.

As for preference, ESB was always my favorite as a little kid. Mostly because I was such a northern ontario kid who was addicted to snowmobiling. And Hoth was easily my favorite planet.

Dude! Where in Northern Ontario? I'm from Marathon.

I've been taking my sweet old time painting. The kids are at school and the wife is at work, so I have it up on my desk with ANH on. I'm in heaven right now!
25885c7e4ba479cfe62ba61ba4942e8d.jpg

Last edited:

Dude! Where in Northern Ontario? I'm from Marathon.
Not that far north...I actually grew up in southern Ontario (tillsonburg) but my mom is from the french river area so I spent summers and all the breaks there in the winter. I had my first POS snowmobile when I was 9. The summer was endor and the winter was hoth

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So...what is the consensus of streak technique at this scale?

I was really proud of my Q tip streaks on my 1/144, but this is a whole other beast. And I'm not that confident when it comes to straight lines on an airbrush....

So...what is the consensus of streak technique at this scale?

I've been thinking about this too. One option is to put down a sticky note on the model and just airbrush on the streak, and then remove the sticky note. This would definitely create the effect as it looks on the 32 incher. But on the five footer the streaks are not sharp at all, so I'm thinking using Tamiya's weathering kits might achieve a good look too. Dry brushing oils probably wouldn't look bad either.

I've been thinking about this too. One option is to put down a sticky note on the model and just airbrush on the streak, and then remove the sticky note. This would definitely create the effect as it looks on the 32 incher. But on the five footer the streaks are not sharp at all, so I'm thinking using Tamiya's weathering kits might achieve a good look too. Dry brushing oils probably wouldn't look bad either.
I'm not a huge fan of those Tamiya weathering kits. They feel too oily. More like makeup than anything.

I might use large q-tips and pigments. I might also use a laser level to make sure I'm bang on the right radius

I might also use a laser level to make sure I'm bang on the right radius

If you put the streak lines in the same spots as the studio model, you can just use the panel divots and raised squares as reference to line up every streak. If not, then use whatever works best for you

I've been using the sticky note technique and then going over them lightly with the Tamiya weathering kit. It softens the sharp lines.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So a technique I use on my 1/144 Bandai MF was colored pencils. I know this may sound a bit crazy, but with soft enough colored pencils (lead) and a light follow up with the Tamiya weathering kit colors to match, the effect looks great. You need to be careful and do this just as you are about to put the finish coat on, as it will easily smear when handling the model. I have some pics, but over exposure of the lights during the pictures drowned out the look. In regular light though, it looks pretty awesome. Just my two cents...here is the link:Planet Ahch-To Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon.

Last edited:

Another trivia that the researcher behind the kit had commented.
These are these:
IMG_9625rs_2.jpgIMG_9625rs.jpg

He was not entirely sure what those notches were for, but got them represented in the kit.

So a technique I use on my 1/144 Bandai MF was colored pencils. I know this may sound a bit crazy, but with a soft enough colored pencils (lead) and a light follow up with the Tamiya weathering kit colors to match, the effect looks great. You need to be careful and do this just as you are about to put the finish coat on, as it will easily smear when handling the model. I have some pics, but the over exposer of the lights during the pictures drowned out the look. In regular light though, it looks pretty awesome. Just my two cents...here is the link:Planet Ahch-To Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon.
I did the same technique on my 1/144 Fslcon, looks great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of the Tamiya weathering kits either. I've been using Flory Models' weathering washes with great success, but they don't make a "yellow." I'd like to find something just like it as it's very easier to control. The stuff they were using in the videos posted earlier with the Bandai designer seems to work just like the Flory stuff, but I'd rather just stick to one product, especially one that works so well as the Flory.

I'm about to head to the "gentlemen's club" with my beautiful girlfriend, and part of me seriously wishes I was just staying home alone to work on this kit, haha. It's a real testament to Bandai, how often I've caught myself checking this thread or ruminating on this kit at inappropriate times.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back