Mpc R2D2 help

Falcon fan

So I have the old Mpc R2D2 kit that came out back in the 80s and I want to paint it and make it look like the way it did in a new hope. So what paint out there would be the correct shade of blue for the blue parts of R2D2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Citroen Poseidon Blue car spray......looks spot on to me

citroen-poseidon-blue-150ml-77569-p.jpg

103794378_614.jpg

It's also worth noting that the panels that go around R2's head above his eye on the MPC are (or were,,,did they fix it?) in the wrong position
61980509.jpg

J

I believe the blue used on R2 was some kind of Dykem masking "paint"

Indeed. From what I've read, it seems the 1977 droids were indeed coloured blue using Dykem "layout fluid". This is a temporary blue dye used by machinists to mark metal surfaces (steel sheets) etc prior to cutting, etc. It isn't a permanent dye that's intended to last.

So the original R2s had this great look to them - all aluminium, with this transparent blue dye that gave a rich sort of anodized look. Also, metal coloured with Dykem tends to look sort of purplish or even nearly black from certain angles.

The problem is that the dye breaks down under UV, and permanently turns purple with time.

Subsequent R2s have been painted, in large part since they weren't all-metal. And a clear purple paint has been used, with a clear blue paint over top.

- nkg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back