2018 Hasbro Marvel Legends props?...

Two thoughts.

#TeamThanos

As much as I love the SDCC Gauntlet, and the heavy weathering and browning... I kind of want to get my hands on another to hit with hydrochrome and put a mirror gold finish on it with light weathering. I think that would look amazing.

that is such a beautiful paint job with such an amazing finish, so i h =gotta ask what paint you used and how did you achieve that look.

Looks amazing...I second that, what paint process did you use?

Thanks! Sorry it took this long to answer. Work has been crazy lately.

I used gold and copper rub and buff metallic paints to highlight some areas, then used black polyurethane paint (the one that you use to dye polyurethane resins) to darken the whole gauntlet. This kind of dye won't dry easily, so you need to make sure not apply a lot of it. Do more than one coat at a time, it will stay better.
Then I used cristal clear resin to add more rock-ish look to the gems. When dry, I repainted it and highlighted the corners so It looks more like a cristal gem and less plastic-y.
To finish, I applied a couple coats of gloss varnish. The first one I tried it to be smooth, just to seal the paintjob. Then I went crazy and tryed it to stick in patches to give it a granny look, trying to give it a rought, dusty surface. It doesn't feel like it, but it reflects light differently than usual. See what I mean in the close up photo for comparisson.

I hope you can understand every step, I wrote everything on a rush and It wouldn't surprise me that there is some mistakes. Sorry in advance and thanks for the compliments. :)

69BB4F23-ACD0-400F-A695-E05F4A337F61.JPG

Thanks picosbeak123 for the very helpful explanation and I am really glad you used rub 'n buff as I just ordered some of these to have a go at my gauntlet. I have not used these before so will have to experiment on something safe first but hopefully I can get to something near the excellent job you did on yours and some of the other great paint jobs shown in this thread.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
It's finally warmed up and I am gearing up to repaint mine. Can anyone recommend a good plastic primer that's clear? I have dabbled with a lot of primers for plastic car parts, and some specialty primers that claim to stick to almost anything, but they're all gray or white. I plan on sanding it down before I prime anyway, to help as much as possible. Gonna try Montana gold spray for the base.

Has anyone considered glass rocks to replace the stones or maybe create resin ones with magnets in them to take out and place? I'm still looking to paint mine but don't want to ruin it!

It's finally warmed up and I am gearing up to repaint mine. Can anyone recommend a good plastic primer that's clear? I have dabbled with a lot of primers for plastic car parts, and some specialty primers that claim to stick to almost anything, but they're all gray or white. I plan on sanding it down before I prime anyway, to help as much as possible. Gonna try Montana gold spray for the base.

Bulldog Adhesion Promoter is clear and great for sticking to this type of plastic.

What kind of gloss varnish did you use?? that looks amazing.
Thanks! Sorry it took this long to answer. Work has been crazy lately.

I used gold and copper rub and buff metallic paints to highlight some areas, then used black polyurethane paint (the one that you use to dye polyurethane resins) to darken the whole gauntlet. This kind of dye won't dry easily, so you need to make sure not apply a lot of it. Do more than one coat at a time, it will stay better.
Then I used cristal clear resin to add more rock-ish look to the gems. When dry, I repainted it and highlighted the corners so It looks more like a cristal gem and less plastic-y.
To finish, I applied a couple coats of gloss varnish. The first one I tried it to be smooth, just to seal the paintjob. Then I went crazy and tryed it to stick in patches to give it a granny look, trying to give it a rought, dusty surface. It doesn't feel like it, but it reflects light differently than usual. See what I mean in the close up photo for comparisson.

I hope you can understand every step, I wrote everything on a rush and It wouldn't surprise me that there is some mistakes. Sorry in advance and thanks for the compliments. :)

View attachment 814470

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back