Bandai release schedule

I have no idea. Licensing is probably so muddy, especially dealing with Disney, Bandai may just having simply taken things to extremes to avoid issues and stick with only pilots sitting in seats?

The Falcon comes with five standing figures. A few troops wouldn't be any different, surely.

Is it REALLY a licensing issue ? Do me it is just some art decition, why they changed from the full sculptered, standing figures to the "flat guys". Like when there are technical drawings with just a siloutte figure for size comparsion, thats how it looks to me.
If there would be a license issue, they wouldn't do any figure at all, not even seated ones.

That's my take on it. I haven't seen any evidence that it is a licensing issue, just conjecture up to now. Not saying this is definitely the case but I had thought the same as you.

I had thought it was just for the ones released in North America. Apparently I was mistaken.

It seems to be the new normal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm not bothered by the flatties at all. I too do believe it is a creative decision. For me one seated pilot in the cockpit is all I need, I consider everything beyond that as a welcomed addition - may it be flat or fully fleshed out. However, I agree that we would need some troopers with the Gunship. Let's wait and see what Bandai comes up with. :)

The Falcon comes with five standing figures. A few troops wouldn't be any different, surely.

That's my take on it. I haven't seen any evidence that it is a licensing issue, just conjecture up to now. Not saying this is definitely the case but I had thought the same as you.

Yes but all of that was prior to the BlueFin deal

The switch to flats happened right around the time of that deal was well

That deal does not include any figure kits

The repacked X-wing was the first kit to hit with the A-Wing, and each on that followed happened to have the silhouette despite all the early kits having a standing pilot

Coincidence or just a sudden change in design philosophy?

This is a company tosses in all kinds of "bonus" extras just to fill up the boxes so having the extra standing figures is no big deal for them. In fact, they had to retool those sprue parts for the existing releases just to replace the standing figure with the flat

I'm not bothered either...I'm still appreciative that we now have kits that are as detailed & accurate as that,....& that they are still more coming at a regular rate

The standing figures were a bonus anyway,...Bandai following on from what FineMolds were doing,.....but I've never bought a military kit where you get a pilot & a standing figure as an option

J

Yeah, it definitely looks like a nonsensical licensing requirement enforced on Bandai.

The only thing that puzzles me is why include the pointless flat figure? Nobody's ever going to want that. Why not just remove it and leave a blank spot on the sprue?

It might not be enforced,....it may be that Bandai is being careful not to mess things up.....a grey area

If thy are not permitted to do the wee figures, I think it's cool to do the silhouettes,....it give you a scale of the craft,....better to have than to have not.....me personally.....I would never have a need for the silhouette or the proper figure,....but it's great to have all these extras

I LOVE the figures!
Again a welcome addition and I will be using my Japanese bought ones to flesh out a couple of dioramas!

Like I said before, I WILL buy ANY new Bandai releases regardles or scale because they are miles ahead of anything else! ( except the tfa kits as a personal choice and not anything Bandai did ; ) )

I always thought the detail was top notch, especially when compared to other 1/72 figures. If these suck, I'd love to see the ones that don't! Must be something.

I always thought the detail was top notch, especially when compared to other 1/72 figures. If these suck, I'd love to see the ones that don't! Must be something.
Haven't any of you ever built an armor or airplane kit? Monogram was making more lifelike pilot figures in the '60s. I also would prefer to have figures than not have them, but Bandai's figures look goofy and robotic by comparison.

Monogram 1/48
Monogram%201-48_zpsrj24rk6j.jpg

Bandai 1/48
Bandai%201-48_zpsdvl8h9q1.jpg

Haven't any of you ever built an armor or airplane kit? Monogram was making more lifelike pilot figures in the '60s. I also would prefer to have figures than not have them, but Bandai's figures look goofy and robotic by comparison.

That is a nice figure for sure. It still doesn't make the Bandai standing figures look goofy to me though. Here's a better comparison with Bandai's standing 1/48 X-Wing pilot (lifted off google images):

Sure, the Bandai figure poses could be a little more dynamic, but detail wise they are pretty good. the arms/hands sometimes get a little funky on the pilot figures sometimes, but they generally look good from the one angle you can see them from once they are in the cockpit. Part of the issue there is trying to keep the pilot figures molded as one piece instead of having to glue on the arms etc...

Here are the Bandai pilots compared to the Fine Molds pilot and Leia.

The Bandai pilots are much better detailed and proportioned. The Fine Molds pilot does have a much more interesting pose though

IeLVaMA.jpg

Bandai Vader and Tie Pilot compared to Fine Molds Boba and Stormtrooper. The Fine Molds Boba is quite good, but the Vader and tie pilot (apart from the static pose) are better detail wise

And the astromech droids from Bandai are simply amazing. Fine Molds has no body detail and relies soley on waterslide decals. Bandai's has all the detail molded in

I'll confess, I put little thought or effort into the figures. My primary focus is on the vehicle and IF the pilot is easy to see, like on an X-Wing, I'll begrudgingly slap some paint on just to the point it isn't awful and then walk away never looking back.
Did I mention I prefer darkened canopies?

I like figures in cockpits, the standing ones were a plus because it would make a hangar diorama for almost no extra cost. Only downside is that everyone would be standing around waiting for the meeting to begin instead of working.

I can see Bandai playing it very conservatively- they were banned from the US market and after a few months given a chance to sell here. The sales potential of this market with Bluefin is a very big deal- between the two I don't mind the flats at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thankful for the pilot figurs too!

I wish some aircraft models still came with a pilot especially WWI! every time I want to actually display an airplane in it's "natural habitat" I have to run off and get a figure!

Although, on the flip side I painted the pilot of my Bandai Tie/IN right down to the belt buckle and once fastened up you can't even really see him! even with lighting AND the no glass option! UGH! lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back