COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Yep, heavy but the whole 90 pounds do not rest only on your shoulder and hips. Granted that you should find some way of making it comfortable with more padding on the straps and maybe a rigid rig inside that connect shoulders and back together to "lower" the load. I know that this suit is not easy to wear (or go to the bathroom with), but plenty of water/food before, during and after your walk should be part of your logistics.

Inspired by your build, my son now wants me to build him a Viking costume in ground mode (not transformable, at least) with gatling guns, etc. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's been quite a trip!

Inspired by your build, my son now wants me to build him a Viking costume in ground mode (not transformable, at least) with gatling guns, etc. :)

That would be fantastic! I'd love to see one of those walking around! Full size right?? ;)

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I've finally posted my Mk2 finger models on Thingiverse for your articulating pleasure! Enjoy! I'd love to see what y'all can do with em!

Congrats on winning SLCC. This build has been a treat to watch. The end result is awe-inspiring.

Thank you for sharing the articulated hands files. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Hey sorry I haven't been here in a while. Congrats on finishing the beast and on your comic con win. I'm still pluggin away at Grommash. I don't know if I posted the articulating hand here but I did on my Facebook page. I think it is something you might be interested to see. The video has 852,000 views right now. I don't really know why but it does. Jeff Shimek austin tx

Hey MWiggs,

I've been drawing up and planning for a Terran marine then I saw your work and I totally admire it. I downloaded the finger models and think they're fantastic (don't have a 3d printer but maybe I'll have them printed in one of the hubs here).

I'm an amateur and have been trying my own marine suit chest plate with insulation foam & expanding foam and totally botched it twice now :). I saw the technique you used to mark&cut&cement glue back to form the chest plate from EVA and it's brilliant. Now I'll be trying to get a mold of a crude foam chest plate then add details with EVA, that would probably make life easier for me.

I have one question though. I know you transferred the weight from your shoulders to the belt using pipes but what sort of a belt did you use? Did you get a military belt (like a bandolier) then added pvc to that as well or something else? How did you attach that pvc to your belt? (I know, there is more than one question here)

Hey MWiggs,

I've been drawing up and planning for a Terran marine then I saw your work and I totally admire it. I downloaded the finger models and think they're fantastic (don't have a 3d printer but maybe I'll have them printed in one of the hubs here).

I'm an amateur and have been trying my own marine suit chest plate with insulation foam & expanding foam and totally botched it twice now :). I saw the technique you used to mark&cut&cement glue back to form the chest plate from EVA and it's brilliant. Now I'll be trying to get a mold of a crude foam chest plate then add details with EVA, that would probably make life easier for me.

I have one question though. I know you transferred the weight from your shoulders to the belt using pipes but what sort of a belt did you use? Did you get a military belt (like a bandolier) then added pvc to that as well or something else? How did you attach that pvc to your belt? (I know, there is more than one question here)

Hi HnG
I used an H-harness, it's an extra wide belt and suspender setup that is used in tactical gear. Fairly easy to find. Originally I had the torso attached to the harness and the legs attached to the belt. However, I couldn't get the belt tight enough to keep from slipping down a bit and throwing the knees out of alignment, and there was just too much weight on my shoulders from the harness, so I'm revisiting that right now. For the PVC I made some mounting feet that just slide into the loops on the belt where you'd normally hang clip bags or binoculars, and the pipes just sit in those, then mount up inside the torso on ball joints for a little extra flexibility. I'm trying to find some good pictures, I'll post those when I can.

Hi Wig, or is it Wiggy? :)

I found a place to 3d print the hands but I'm a stranger to 3d printing. He gave me two options:

1) 250 micron layer thickness and 50% infill

2) 300 micron layer thickness and 25% infill

Would any of these make the hands solid enough so that they can be utilized without breaking/bending? Which do you think would be better?

Hi Wig, or is it Wiggy? :)

I found a place to 3d print the hands but I'm a stranger to 3d printing. He gave me two options:

1) 250 micron layer thickness and 50% infill

2) 300 micron layer thickness and 25% infill

Would any of these make the hands solid enough so that they can be utilized without breaking/bending? Which do you think would be better?

Been called both! :D The larger the layer thickness, the more sanding and finish work you'll have to do as the layers will be more pronounced. However, the more infill you go with ends up very heavy in the end. I would recommend .2mm thickness or less, with 10% or less infill. These are already designed for strength so going thinner just saves weight, which is a good thing. Also if you're printing in ABS you can brush acetone over the whole piece after some sanding and you can get a really smooth finish. Hope that helps!

Is there anyway you can sell the blueprints or measurements, I want to make this but i only have a little under 2 months to get it done and I fear i cant finish it in time with out some help.

Is there anyway you can sell the blueprints or measurements, I want to make this but i only have a little under 2 months to get it done and I fear i cant finish it in time with out some help.

Sure thing! PM me you email and I can send you a full scale PDF of the front and back!

I am absolutely amazed that you made that beautiful suit out of foam. I can't even find the words to explain how impressed I am by this build. Fantastic

Hi MWiggs,

First: Huge Fan, your build blew me away.

Second: I'm currently working on my own Space Marine Armor and downloaded and printed your hands (thanks for that by the way). I was wondering: What did you use for the pivot of the joints at the fingers? I already thought about Carbon, but that's really expensiv. But I'm not sure if it work with wooden pivots so well...

Hi MWiggs,

First: Huge Fan, your build blew me away.

Second: I'm currently working on my own Space Marine Armor and downloaded and printed your hands (thanks for that by the way). I was wondering: What did you use for the pivot of the joints at the fingers? I already thought about Carbon, but that's really expensiv. But I'm not sure if it work with wooden pivots so well...

Hey Netz - Thanks! I used ABS rod, 1/2" diameter. Wood would probably work just as well, but I melted the rod to the outer finger sections using acetone so they didn't walk out the side as the joints rotated. ABS is cool like that. If you're using another plastic for the fingers (like PLA) you can always just superglue the pins in as well so any material will work fine. I got 5 feet of the ABS rod for about $2.50 if that helps. Check it out here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-rods/=18u9ugz. You might have something similar overseas but that's at least a starting point.

Happy building!

I haven't really been a member here for that long, but this is my first time reading this many (almost all of them) pages on ANY forum! This thing is INSANE! This is the kind of inspirational stuff a site like this needs to show people just what can be accomplished when you put your mind to it and stick it out! Truly impressive build and a very well put together thread for a nice long read. Congrats on your win, and cant wait to see what else you have planned!

Hey Netz - Thanks! I used ABS rod, 1/2" diameter. Wood would probably work just as well, but I melted the rod to the outer finger sections using acetone so they didn't walk out the side as the joints rotated. ABS is cool like that. If you're using another plastic for the fingers (like PLA) you can always just superglue the pins in as well so any material will work fine. I got 5 feet of the ABS rod for about $2.50 if that helps. Check it out here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-rods/=18u9ugz. You might have something similar overseas but that's at least a starting point.

Happy building!

Hi Dear Wig!
It's too great to see your fabulous works!That looks just like Sheriff Jim Raynor comes out off my screen!
Actually I'm planning to build my own CMC armor,and that's why I could be here and shocked so much!If reasonable,may I have some advice of you about measuring and blueprinting stuffs?
Much thanks!Great works!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back