My ROTJ hero lightsaber build

TheJrSkywalker

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all! I'm a new member here and thought I'd share my ROTJ hero lightsaber build. The RPF was extremely helpful while I was doing research on this lightsaber. I'd love to hear your feedback on it!

As a mechanical engineer, I have access to some pretty amazing CAD software. After obtaining as many screenshots and photos of the original prop as I could, I made a rough CAD model. I then used the rendering software included with the program to overlay the model on original photos. The software allows you to distort the model as if you were taking a photo of it so that you can match the lens distortion in the photo. I kept modifying then model until it overlapped the model perfectly. A screen shot of one of these renderings (slightly offset) is shown below. My model is placed over the photo on the top.

RENDER 3 A.jpg

Next I made dimensioned drawings from the model and ordered up a hunk of aluminum. I have a lathe and milling machine, so I was able to do all of the machine work myself. Here are some photos of the process.

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

Painting the ribs was a breeze- I set the hilt up in the lathe, masked the very ends of the black region, and spray painted the center. Once the paint had dried, I took a skim cut on the tops of the ribs with a very sharp tool to remove the paint from the parts that are supposed to be bare.

The control box is more or less modeled from the ISYHCANL scene since I couldn't find good photos or screen shots of the Yuma control box. The control card I threw together quite quickly just so that I could take some photos. A better replica card is in the works.

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

I look forward to hearing what you think!

Is this Noah?

Hi, it's Tom!

I noticed one of his sabers on another site and bugged him because...for the life of me...I only know two people lately that have made such accurate ROTJ sabers, down to the grip rings. The minute I saw that detail I went :eek

The other cool thing is - on the other site - there was a picture of a solid control box with two screws! a Yuma saber is my next project thanks to this gentleman.

I’m not sure how I missed this one until now. This truly is a work of art, a beautiful build. (And I bet it has a nice weight to it as well!)

I too drive a dog off the chuck. Ain't nobody got time to switch out for a plate :)

Fantastic saber!

Haha, yeah. My lathe has some way wear issues so it turns a taper on everything unless I turn between centers and offset the tail stock to compensate. I didn't have a face plate or dog drive when I made the saber, so I had to find some way to twist it! :)Thank you!

Is this Noah?

Hi, it's Tom!

I noticed one of his sabers on another site and bugged him because...for the life of me...I only know two people lately that have made such accurate ROTJ sabers, down to the grip rings. The minute I saw that detail I went :eek

The other cool thing is - on the other site - there was a picture of a solid control box with two screws! a Yuma saber is my next project thanks to this gentleman.

Hi Tom! Yes, it's Noah. Thanks again for the kind praise! I hope you enjoy it. It sounded like you might be planning to duel with it? I had considered drilling the emitter hole down into the ribbed section and putting a steel dowel pin in to reinforce the neck. I wasn't sure I wanted the liability of suggesting that people duel with them though. I'd love to hear how it holds up if you do use it for some dueling!

Kickass!

taking requests?

Thank you! Eventually I would like to. I'm a new member though and need 50 posts and 90 days of membership (not to mention the premium membership) to advertise and do a run. For now, I'm just sharing the build of my own. Stay tuned though!

I’m not sure how I missed this one until now. This truly is a work of art, a beautiful build. (And I bet it has a nice weight to it as well!)

Thank you very much! It does feel like a light saber ought to. My CAD program tells me it's about 1.6 lbs.

Thank you to all for the complements!

Hi Tom! Yes, it's Noah. Thanks again for the kind praise! I hope you enjoy it. It sounded like you might be planning to duel with it? I had considered drilling the emitter hole down into the ribbed section and putting a steel dowel pin in to reinforce the neck. I wasn't sure I wanted the liability of suggesting that people duel with them though. I'd love to hear how it holds up if you do use it for some dueling!

oh gosh no! no dueling here, the saber I'm recreating is the one luke swings at people on the sail barge.

by the way - I think you nailed the control box you altered for me. I always had gut feelings from those few photos we have, and unwrapping it today made me gasp! I'll create a thread about it, painting and tapping a fake lever into place. Blew my mind man. I showed my dad too, @redbutton and he was astounded. Nice work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back