Vintage T-track find - Updated with 2019 find

kalkamel

Master Member
I posted this find in the "New Roger Christian Interview" thread, but I thought I'd also post a separate thread.

Since I ran out of Saberfreak's t-tracks, I started compiling a list of old and antiquated hardware stores here in my country in the hope that, like Saberfreak, I'd stumble into that one shop that had those elusive vintage t-tracks that have been waiting for ages and gathering dust without anyone buying them. Visit after visit yielded no result. Until yesterday.

In one corner of an old mom and pop store, these tracks were just lying there, like I imagined, covered in dust. They were brown (like Saberfreak's) and was of the same base width. At first, I thought they were the same, but upon close inspection, they had a tapered and slightly thinner vertical profile. I bought one strip for comparison. I only had a leftover Saberfreak track and an old Blast-tech rubber track to compare with but the pics are as below. Vintage being vintage, I may just replace all the existing tracks on my sabers and blasters with these.

Y4t2ZlY.jpg

emWScBj.jpg

Attachments

• rps20170919_003725.jpg
    rps20170919_003725.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 292
  • rps20170919_003743.jpg
    rps20170919_003743.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Y4t2ZlY.jpg
    Y4t2ZlY.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 244
  • emWScBj.jpg
    emWScBj.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Very cool and thank you for your willingness to share your find.
Interested in having another option for vintage builds.

Got a friend of mine with precision tools to angle and notch a set for my own sabers. I think they turned out very well. Haven't decided on how to create the glue channel and on the paintjob yet, though.
rps20171006_201224.jpg

I got my Luke ESB set of these safe and sound, thank you!.....i would have KILLED for a pre-notched set! I HATE cutting notches out on these things!!!!!

Thanks

Rich

Update February 2019:

So I found another variant of vintage brown t-tracks, here in Malaysia.

Last weekend, I went into a hardware store in my wife's home town, looking for a weather strip for her parents' kitchen door. This hardware store was located within walking distance of the house and it looked decrepit. The shopkeeper pointed to the back of the shop so I went there looking for the weather strip. I passed an old shelf that had a pile of wires that was covered in dust and did a double take when I saw the all too familiar t-profile sticking out from underneath them. With the weather strip absolutely forgotten, I pulled out the t-track that was equally covered in thick dust, finally finding 2 rolls of the stuff. When I checked the profile, at first I thought it was the same as the one I found in 2017. I bought the two rolls and was about to leave when the shopkeeper asked me if I still wanted the weather strip, so I got that as well. :p

Anyway, when I finally got to compare them with my 2017 find, I discovered that while the width was identical, the center profile of the one I just found was actually shorter by a tad. It's still not 100% accurate though, but its an interesting find nonetheless. Its always fascinating to see the different varieties one can find if one looks hard enough.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I put the new one side by side with Saberfreak's, a variant I found back in 2008 that was undersized, my 2017 find as well as Wannawanga's for comparison.

IMG_20190203_201214.jpg
IMG_20190208_172546.jpg

IMG_20190208_172713.jpg

IMG_20190208_172813.jpg

well I'm far from an expert, but those look quite accurate compared to the Wampa cave scene, congrats, great find! (y)

What were these t-tracks designed to be used for? I hit a lot of junk shops and antique stores, and I'd like to know where to look for them, potentially.

Nice find! Congrats again!

Wouldn’t mind a set for ANH Luke if you find yourself with enough extra.

Congrats! Very nice research there, we're getting closer!

Cupboard doors... I've seen metal track similar to saberfreaks underneath reception desk windows too!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back