Vintage Vs. Replica Kobold and HP-44 Card

RoyDeckard

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, I'm a first time prop-builder looking at building a Vintage Graflex ESB saber! I do have a vintage Graflex Flash already and I'm looking at filling out vintage parts as practically as possible with a vintage Kobold Clamp and a Vintage HP-44 Bus Card. Now my questions to all of you is this:

1: What are the differences between the replica Kobold and the real deal? I assume changes have to be made to it but since I never have seen a vintage Kobold I can't see what those differences are.

2: What is a way to tell if you have a vintage HP-44 Card? Any markings on it that aren't on replicas or would it just be incredibly beat up?

Thanks for all your help guys!

1: Real Kobolds have smaller holes than the replicas where you would rivet them (real one's attached to the original flash with smaller diameter screws than the 4mm rivets, you need to widen them for a saber). The step is also a little steeper/sharper (subtle), and there are only holes in one side (where little ball bearings would go). The replicas already have the other hole drilled so you can seat the d-ring into them.

2: Unless you're buying a pre-cut board, you'll be able to tell because the edgecard will be attached to a big 'ol PCB. If it's already trimmed, look at the gold and solder job. Real ones shimmer more IMO. Maybe they used more gold on the traces back then? You're looking for 13 whole traces fitting within the Graflex clamp.

Good hunting and welcome to the RPF!

Last edited:
Has anyone actually found and confirmed an HP pcb? I feel like a lot of people doing all vintage real parts builds are finding pcbs that are pretty close, but I don't know if anyone one has that model card for sure?

I think Patrice (ParfaitLumiere) did? I don't know which model he found, but he had a couple HP boards with pretty much dead-on traces.

Has anyone actually found and confirmed an HP pcb? I feel like a lot of people doing all vintage real parts builds are finding pcbs that are pretty close, but I don't know if anyone one has that model card for sure?

On the replica Kobold clip I have seen (Roy's) the colour tends towards a slightly warm yellowish hue. It's still silver but the real ones have a colder whiter silvery colouration. Aside from some of the other observations already mentioned there's one other giveaway that means you should be able to tell the replica from the real thing once it's rivetted or screwed to the bottom of the saber when the other holes have been made and the distinction is harder to spot: On one side of the original clip there's a small cigar shaped plate that holds a ball bearing in place and it is screwed on with a tiny little screw into a very small hole roughly in the middle of the clip. That hole is threaded on the real thing but not the replica. To be honest I thought Roy's replica Kobold clip was a triumph.

Well for the PCB I am willing to bite the bullet and get a slothfurnace one if I absolutely can't find one that looks close. Also, that is great info Veer and intwenothor, Thank you!

I got one from him too:

HP BUS.jpg

The real ESB card had rectangular leads. We've now seen two real relic props that fit the bill, the graflex in the archives that traces back to the films, and a casting of the Shared Stunt during production. the HP was an early theory, but it seems HP boards have leads that are very round indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the correct plug is a 22 or 44 pin connector. Even then, only some have the right sized gold leads and silver traces.

I've actually seen hat before as well thd, and that's good to know if I can find a clamp card that I can use.I also am considering using a vintage Exactra Bubble Strip and using that as a "Legacy" saber combining bits from all models of the 'flex.

On the replica Kobold clip I have seen (Roy's) the colour tends towards a slightly warm yellowish hue. It's still silver but the real ones have a colder whiter silvery colouration.

My latest (and future) Kobold clips are identical in material and finish to the vintage parts. Mine used to be brass with a matt nickel finish, which is slightly warmer in colour, but now they are brass with a matt chrome finish, with the typical cool greyish finish. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.
A new batch is almost finished and I'll have them available again in a few weeks.

Roy

Yep! Roy's Kobold Clip was a great thing for this community. Yodas House, or Blast-Tech had pretty good parts for the day, but he's now out of business anyways. Here comes roy with an awesome personality, and much higher quality parts :lol
redbutton and I both have one of Roy's Kobold Clips on our ESB sabers. lets see if I can find a good pic of mine.

DSCN2948.JPGDSCN2949.JPGDSCN3014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back