1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Wash is Done!! That took a while and I also clipped all FO except for the trenches and a few here and there. Flat clear coat next weekend. I will be working on the base, engine bell deflectors and still have to lightly wash the landing bay are during the week.

Some pictures:

Not enough wash or too much?

20180224_103514smaller.jpg
20180224_103525smaller.jpg
20180226_080050smaller.jpg
20180226_080223smaller.jpg
20180226_080233smaller.jpg
20180226_080202smaller.jpg
20180226_080144smaller.jpg

Awesome! the first pic looked a bit spars, probably the light and the angle but as you look at the rest it looks really good to me, looks better than mine!, :thumbsup Fine work my friend! You got to do a video for us when all complete. You're nearing the end of this one it seems? What's next in the pipeline?
Wash is Done!! That took a while and I also clipped all FO except for the trenches and a few here and there. Flat clear coat next weekend. I will be working on the base, engine bell deflectors and still have to lightly wash the landing bay are during the week.

Some pictures:

Not enough wash or too much?

View attachment 798505
View attachment 798507
View attachment 798508
View attachment 798509
View attachment 798510
View attachment 798511
View attachment 798512

Awesome! the first pic looked a bit spars, probably the light and the angle but as you look at the rest it looks really good to me, looks better than mine!, :thumbsup Fine work my friend! You got to do a video for us when all complete. You're nearing the end of this one it seems? What's next in the pipeline?

Thanks for the compliments..........First 2 are before pictures.........Pictures are kind of bright and don't show the subtle shades all over the hull. The wash is a little darker in person.

At this point.......next up is a break!!!!

I haven't thought about what to build next but it's probably going to be several small (2 weeks to build each) models before the next big one

The wash took a long time. I wanted to mix my own shade so I went with Createx acrylic white and black so I did not buy yours. Probably should have bought yours in gray since it was specifically made to do washes, Had problems getting it to stay in crevices and it would dry nice in certain areas and not others. Did a lot of trial and error but finally got it to stay where I wanted it to. How did yours apply?

I had to play with it a little at first but once I got the consistency right it worked fine. I watered it down too much in the beginning. right out of the bottle though was WAY too thick.
Thanks for the compliments..........First 2 are before pictures.........Pictures are kind of bright and don't show the subtle shades all over the hull. The wash is a little darker in person.

At this point.......next up is a break!!!!

I haven't thought about what to build next but it's probably going to be several small (2 weeks to build each) models before the next big one

The wash took a long time. I wanted to mix my own shade so I went with Createx acrylic white and black so I did not buy yours. Probably should have bought yours in gray since it was specifically made to do washes, Had problems getting it to stay in crevices and it would dry nice in certain areas and not others. Did a lot of trial and error but finally got it to stay where I wanted it to. How did yours apply?

Mine started out too thick once watered down it was easier to apply/remove but it still dried in certain areas nice and other not at all.

Next time I will try the one you bought.

How much did you weather the hangar bay do you have a few pictures....Thanks!

Did you weather the base or just painted it with Corax white?

I had to play with it a little at first but once I got the consistency right it worked fine. I watered it down too much in the beginning. right out of the bottle though was WAY too thick.

Looks great!

At the rate I'm going it is going to be Christmas before I get to the point of applying a wash.

I'm stuck in Greeblie hell thanks to a high-res set of detailed ILM 8-footer reference photos.

I just.... cannot.... stop....

Invar! I think I can speak for all that we're happy to hear from you :thumbsup I suspected you were right where you say you are...a prisoner of the kingdom of greeblies :lol The amount of work you're putting into that thing I'm sure is astounding and will impress all of us beyond limits. I'd suppose a "grail" kit would influence your actions and no doubt it will be simply amazing!
Looks great!

At the rate I'm going it is going to be Christmas before I get to the point of applying a wash.

I'm stuck in Greeblie hell thanks to a high-res set of detailed ILM 8-footer reference photos.

Thanks Invar!!

We're pulling for you with all the incredible and detailed work your doing on yours it will be nothing less than Epic!!

Looks great!

Update......All FO clipped. Painted the bell deflectors and just have to attach them to the bells. Plan is to wash the hangar bay, install the laser turrets tonight and clear coat ship this weekend. Will attach the engine bells, field generators, hangar bay and the antenna array on the top of the command tower at the very end. Hope to finish the base next week.

Hi Ross, did you apply a wash on your base over the Corax white? How heavily or light did you wash your hangar bay? Do you have any close up of the bay?

Some pictures:

20180227_075649smaller.jpg 20180227_075126smaller.jpg 20180227_074906smaller.jpg 20180227_074843smaller.jpg 20180226_211356smaller.jpg 20180226_215023smaller.jpg 20180226_220349smaller.jpg 20180227_075225smaller.jpg

hey Scott, that looks soooo good, your wash turned out fantastic! :thumbsup I think I did a bit of brushed on wash to the greeblie walls on the base, that's it. As far as the hangar, I shaded some panel corners and such with a .3mm mechanical pencil, but I didn't wash it at all. My thinking was, the hangar is mostly protected by the force field except when smaller ships go in and out, therefore, I'd think the hangar would stay much more sanitary than the exterior hull. just my opinion though. I'll flip back through some stuff and see if I have any good shots of the hangar...I really envy your wash job dude, so much better than mine, well done! :thumbsup
Update......All FO clipped. Painted the bell deflectors and just have to attach them to the bells. Plan is to wash the hangar bay, install the laser turrets tonight and clear coat ship this weekend. Will attach the engine bells, field generators, hangar bay and the antenna array on the top of the command tower at the very end. Hope to finish the base next week.

Hi Ross, did you apply a wash on your base over the Corax white? How heavily or light did you wash your hangar bay? Do you have any close up of the bay?

Some pictures:

View attachment 798681 View attachment 798682 View attachment 798683 View attachment 798684 View attachment 798685 View attachment 798686 View attachment 798687 View attachment 798688

ISD24.jpegISDhangar3.jpegISDhangar5.jpegI think these are before I touched it with the pencil, and that was for depth...but I didn't wash it as I considered it the be a "cleaner" area. Again, JMO

My thinking on that for example, they don't really ever show a good close up of that hangar that I can recall, maybe there was, but...when the Falcon got sucked in by the tractor beam into that hangar in the DS, that hangar was absolutely spotless, protected by a similar force field...again, just my perception

Thanks for the kind word!!

That wash took all day Saturday and some of Sunday. At the time I wasn't that happy with the results but I left it alone to dry and since then it has grown on me and I like it better.

I was thinking of leaving the hangar bay alone but I thought it would look too clean compared to the rest of the ship. Your logic makes sense that the force field would keep it much cleaner than the outside. I may do a very light wash in the corners. You used a mechanical pencil (what is that?) and you highlighted what specific areas?

For the base I think I will not wash it at all.

Thanks for the close up hangar bay pictures in other post!

hey Scott, that looks soooo good, your wash turned out fantastic! :thumbsup I think I did a bit of brushed on wash to the greeblie walls on the base, that's it. As far as the hangar, I shaded some panel corners and such with a .3mm mechanical pencil, but I didn't wash it at all. My thinking was, the hangar is mostly protected by the force field except when smaller ships go in and out, therefore, I'd think the hangar would stay much more sanitary than the exterior hull. just my opinion though. I'll flip back through some stuff and see if I have any good shots of the hangar...I really envy your wash job dude, so much better than mine, well done! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Your right........maybe some subtle highlights with the mechanical pencil and no wash. Do you remember what specific areas you highlighted?

My thinking on that for example, they don't really ever show a good close up of that hangar that I can recall, maybe there was, but...when the Falcon got sucked in by the tractor beam into that hangar in the DS, that hangar was absolutely spotless, protected by a similar force field...again, just my perception

isd12-5-17b.jpegsee where I shaded just the one side of the square areas, and a few other places...this shot was taken before I cleaned up the spatters of wash that got in there when I was washing the lower...I didn't mask it...like an idiot. and I painted the capture claw a slightly darker color, again for contrast and depth.
mechanical pencil is the ones you load with lead sticks. this is the finest one the art store had.

I really wanted to put a 3D printed imperial shuttle in that larger secondary hangar but it has the wings folded up, and was too tall to fit :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

I still have the better part of a rack of 3D tie fighters, and a few Slave ones...you need any?

Invar! I think I can speak for all that we're happy to hear from you :thumbsup I suspected you were right where you say you are...a prisoner of the kingdom of greeblies

Thanks Invar!!

We're pulling for you with all the incredible and detailed work your doing on yours it will be nothing less than Epic!!

Thanks fellas. I'm actually envious seeing your near-completed builds, and it gives me something to push towards. A job, a ministry and babysitting two toddlers twice a week does limit my time to focus on just the model. The High Res sets of hundreds of ILM 8 footer reference photos has imprisoned me!

ie: ILM 8 Footer:
IMG_4604.JPG

Result:

Portgreebs7.jpgPortgreebs8.jpgPortgreebs9.jpgPortgreebs5.jpgPortgreebs6.jpg

AAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH! Tedium!!!!!!!

But in a good way.

Invar that is stunning work. How you packed so much detail in such a small area......Just incredible and it looks like it came that way. I can't wait to see the end result and I bet you feel the same way.

Thanks fellas. I'm actually envious seeing your near-completed builds, and it gives me something to push towards. A job, a ministry and babysitting two toddlers twice a week does limit my time to focus on just the model. The High Res sets of hundreds of ILM 8 footer reference photos has imprisoned me!

View attachment 798734

Result:

View attachment 798729View attachment 798730View attachment 798731View attachment 798732View attachment 798733

But in a good way.

Awesome picture!! I see how you shaded it and I will do something very similar. No wash just a very fine pencil. I thought that's what you meant by "mechanical" but wasn't sure.

I covered the hangar when I did the wash. It would have definitely been hit with splatters so I'm glad I did

Thanks Ross!!

View attachment 798696see where I shaded just the one side of the square areas, and a few other places...this shot was taken before I cleaned up the spatters of wash that got in there when I was washing the lower...I didn't mask it...like an idiot. and I painted the capture claw a slightly darker color, again for contrast and depth.
mechanical pencil is the ones you load with lead sticks. this is the finest one the art store had.

I can't find any words for this that I haven't already used! Simply amazing Invar, I will say though you have inspired me to go further and strive to achieve levels not previously thought of. :thumbsup I salute you!

View attachment 798734

Result:

View attachment 798729View attachment 798730View attachment 798731View attachment 798732View attachment 798733

But in a good way.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, Invar is a seriously dedicated individual. world class work to be sure, especially at this scale...amazing :thumbsup
Invar that is stunning work. How you packed so much detail in such a small area......Just incredible and it looks like it came that way. I can't wait to see the end result and I bet you feel the same way.

Hi Ross,

What did you use to glue down the Engine deflectors and how far in did you position them relative to the ring edge?

Thanks!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back