1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Hey Jeff -- hope to have time this weekend to make the diagrams. Sorry about the delay!

JF -- there are 5 major parts that make up the bow, plus 2 observatory domes and 2 observatory dome frames. Then there are 8 little antennas that mount on each observatory (not shown). Whew!

Behind the bow is the forward tank module section. There's a corresponding stern tank module section, plus a set of tanks to go in the empty modules.

Hi Dave, I've just bought one outboard module from your shapeways shop.Can you post up a list of all the parts needed to complete your model?A set of instructions or diagram would be good to.I am amazed at this build and can hardly wait for the rest of the model to be made available. It's a stunner,:)

Just Sent the files to a laser cutter to get an Quote for cutting them. When I get the parts I might be able to help out with that armature assembly instructions. I've been staring at them for a while and I think I have them figured out :)

Great News on the parts. I'll probably be getting them slowly - one every couple of weeks to spread the cost out... Really looking forward to this

Who Knew - I'M A CYGNUS FAN!!! :cool:thumbsup

Jedi Dade

Yeah, I think staring at my armature diagrams for too long might reveal the secrets of all my inner torments...

;)

I would welcome any and all help. I'm really excited that you'll be building along Jedi Dade!

Hi Dave, me again! I've just been checking out the shop. It's looking great, but what about the bow sections? I take it they're not put up yet?

Hey 32buds -- no, haven't put them up on the store yet. I just received them a few days ago and want to make sure I'm really okay with them before I put them on sale.

Dave,
The Laser cutter asked if I could get these as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator files. Is that something that is easy for you? Also where you have things like "2 each" he said he needed that laid out so he could take it to the cutter.

Do I just have a bad cutter or is this "normal"

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Last edited:
I'm doing this project for my own edification. I have no intention of making money off of it.

What he said. :thumbsup Exactly my sentiments.

But, having already inadvertently led a couple of folk to lose money on parts that aren't really even close to final, or at least are a lot further from it than I thought at first, I'm being a lot more cautious. Add in the problems with Shapeways of late - e.g. their service still doesn't let you choose parts orientation for printing, despite promises more than a couple of years ago, and a poorly-chosen orientation can ruin a part. And they increased the minimum size rules for parts printed in the WSF material, which renders some parts of our models (a LOT of mine, at any rate) obsolete. Arrrgh...anyway, suffice to say I'm playing it safe, working up parts in full, and will be test printing them before I make anything visible online.

Hello,
Is it true that Martyn was attacked by a Drop Bear? ,,,,, or was it, he was molested by some big spider?
And thats why there haven't been any up dates in regards to the 1/350th scale BH Cygnus? Just wondering?
I'd really hate to start spreading the wrong rumor. Nudge, nudge....... BUMP.:D
Thanks,
Clint

LOL. No, sorry. Just a lot of real life going on. Designing a home extension/rebuild, working on things for other guys, bought my own 3d printer and have been <Garrus> 'calibrating' </Garrus> ever since, and just off my game in general. Also the stuff mentioned above. Having my own printer is helping a bit; it can't do the really fiddly cage pieces but can do a lot of the 'solid' parts quite well. Anyway, I hope to be around a bit more from here on.

Dave - GEEZE!!! So HAWT!!!!

Nwerke & Dave - as far as I'm concerned there is ZERO need to apologize for anything. No promises were made, and I expect nothing. that being said I'd "LIKE" something but I have no place to make ANY demand...

Life comes first period - end of story.

Both of these builds are epic.

After this is over perhaps one or both of you will compile a 3d Modeling for dummies cheat-sheet. list of tools and reference books perhaps... I'd like to learn this, but really have no idea where to start.

Jedi Dade

HE'S ALIVE!!!!! :D
BTW... I didn't really believe that Drop Bear rumor. Everybody knows they usually only attack tourists...... well usually.
What can I say, I was just missing ya. Happy to hear you have some fun stuff going on.

Cheers,
Clint

JD - it's really flattering that there's ongoping interest in the 1/350 despite my flakeyness. Thanks. I can't claim to be a 'real' 3D modeler from this project though. It's all just moving a bunch of struts around. I have picked up a bit more skill on other projects and now feel like I can pretend to be about a 50% competent hard-surface modeler PROVIDED I can have five times as long to work on a project as a pro would need. :lol

Clint - the house build is scary as hell. My house is made of asbestos, for starters! And I have a young child. Shaking in my boots. It will also mess with my modeling again, but I look like having a window between the end of design and the start of works, so I'll get some stuff done.

Cheers,
Martyn

Thinking that over, 50% is way optimistic. There is just SO much to it and for my purposes I don't even bother with texturing, bump maps, specularity, subsurface scatter or any of that. Have played with them but they're no use to me as such so that's all. But I'm happy to pass on what little I do know! First bit of advice is 'a sensible interface is everything so steer clear of any modelling package that is poorly laid out'. That is seriously number one. Bad interfaces that I couldn't get my head around cost me *years*.

I'm also a NURBS junkie so I'm gonna say 'avoid mesh modelling like the plague, it is a dark art and will drive you to drink and loose women'. :lol

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today I got a quote back from a local firm, here in sunny "norn iron " for the Cygnus tower. I downloaded Dave's 1/700 file on that part, hoping it might work out cheaper than shapeways.
As a one-off part the price was an eye-watering £230.00!!!
This was for a process called "Laser sintering".
Apparently its the same as 3d printing?
Guess I'm sticking with shapeways. £22.60 seems very reasonable now.
Any word on the rest of the ship yet Dave?
Oh, and loose women are great..:mad:)

Last edited:
Select laser sintering aka SLS is one of many processes loosely lumped together as "3d printing". It's a little different from FDM aka fused deposition modeling aka melting a plastic fibre and printing it like ink.

It is the same process Dave and I are using, via Shapeways, for the majority of our parts. There is a reason Shapeways can still lay claim to being the cheapest option around, they just about are. Which isn't the same as being "cheap", at all. :\

Had a read at the small print on the back of my quote. That price did not include VAT at 20%.......
I've since gone ahead and ordered the tower, tower cage and command dome from shapeways.That should please Dave no end.
I'm going to get a couple of major components a fortnight, as that's roughly how long it seems to take shapeways to make and deliver to my home.
Hopefully,by the time I've the stern and main hull parts gathered up, Dave will have posted the rest of the model.
Fingers crossed as I'm loving this project already.
And there was me, a few years ago casting an extra hull section for the old mpc kit and after painting it, sitting for hours every night drawing in girders over the whole kit....

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back