Mutronics's 2014 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

mutronics

Sr Member
Hi, I thought I’d have a go at this one.

I’ve been sculpting for a few years now and love it, I just wish there were more hours in the day to do it!

I think I’m going to sculpt a Frankenstein’s, I’m not happy with the world kind of attitude monsteresque thingy. It’s probably going to be a bust and done in Supersculpey. And probably 1:3 ish scale.

Having said that, it could turn out completely different, i'm just going to go along with this one.

Pete

Ive almost finished the armature. I looked up how tall the monster was and it varied from 6 footish to 8 foot depending on which book movie or comic i checked.

I've settled on 6.5 foot as at 1:3 scale it was and is going to be big.

So, i've made the armature and wrapped it in tissue paper to bulk it up. This is so i can get a better idea of the final overall size in order to position the armature into its final place. Once in its final position i'll milliput the joints and start the fun part!

Pete

The position is now set and milliputed. I've also bulked it out with foil, so i don't need to use so much Super Sculpey. Now I need to mix the Super Sculpey with the fimo.
Cheers
Pete

Very nice beginning. Will you do your own design when it comes to clothes and face, or use a style and idea already in existence (movie or such)?

Very nice beginning. Will you do your own design when it comes to clothes and face, or use a style and idea already in existence (movie or such)?

Thanks CoolleKotten! I'm going to try and add my own style to this but include some elements from well known incarnations of him, abit of a mishmash.

I'm not sure about the flat head though because I can’t rationalize why he would have a flat head, but will he look odd without it? Not sure.

I cant remember Mary Shelley ever describing the creature with a flat head so I guess it was something they decided to do with the movie adaption, in 1931. I know they wanted to make Boris Karloff seem tall and big so increasing his head would add some height to him. It is a rather iconic look today, but it doesnt fully make sense, as you say. For an instant recognition I would use the more square-ish head, but for a more true version of the original, use a "normal" round head, if that helps.

I cant remember Mary Shelley ever describing the creature with a flat head so I guess it was something they decided to do with the movie adaption, in 1931. I know they wanted to make Boris Karloff seem tall and big so increasing his head would add some height to him. It is a rather iconic look today, but it doesnt fully make sense, as you say. For an instant recognition I would use the more square-ish head, but for a more true version of the original, use a "normal" round head, if that helps.

I've been having a play with the head shape, I've kind of gone with an inbetween flat/round head, definitely looks more iconic as you say. I've rationalised it to myself as him having tissue rejection. :)

Yup, that's the monster allright! It is kind of like Frankenstein operated away the top of the creatures skull, maybe threw in a new brain and put on a different scalp because he misplaced the other one. :unsure
I like where you are going with the design, it is not too much like the iconic monster but the hints are there. Will you add hair to him too (made of clay, I mean)?

Yup, that's the monster allright! It is kind of like Frankenstein operated away the top of the creatures skull, maybe threw in a new brain and put on a different scalp because he misplaced the other one. :unsure
I like where you are going with the design, it is not too much like the iconic monster but the hints are there. Will you add hair to him too (made of clay, I mean)?

Lol! Or maybe he put it back on the wrong way around!:facepalm I don't think i'm going to give him hair. I think it would have all been shaved off for the operations and brain scoopings.

looks great, really like where you are going with this!

Thanks Fettster!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back