Oblivion Inspired Office Build

I picked up the TV last week which allowed me to make my final measurements. I bought a 55" Vizio 4K TV from Best Buy. It retailed for $550, but there was an Open Box Buy available for $499 and then they had a sale of 15% off Open Box Buys, which got me the TV for $429. I wasn't looking for cutting edge here, but I think I got a pretty good deal. If I had the budget, I would have bought a new TV for the house and just moved that one out here.

With final measurements made, I finished getting everything carved, cut, and installed this weekend.

E61D3B52-0F67-488A-9C6A-96A3850120F0_zpsjwuaylxy.jpg

05BDF257-7C1C-4A0D-B1C8-4C150F40BFBD_zpsojd7juz4.jpg

There is another door that is missing in the photo, but you get the idea.

The plan is to have the panel that surrounds the TV, be mounted to the TV. I bought a heavier grade mount for the TV and then hollowed out the back of the panel to reduce the weight. I'll post a pic of that when I get back out there.

Next step is to get the Wall Mount installed and fit the TV. Then I'll start sanding and get ready for primer and paint.

-Eric

great update! the large bevel all around the wall is really nice!
Looking forward to see that wall finished with the tv installed.
keep up the good work Eric :thumbsup

Looks clean and sharp (but that was the idea in the first place;)) The details are really adding to the whole look!!

Thanks! I created my punch list today to get ready for paint. Instead of items like "Build Room Divider" I am now looking at items like "Fill Nail Holes".

I was able to get the TV mount installed in the right spot and fit the bezel over the TV. It will need some fine tuning, but that will happen with the final install after it's painted.
A553D6F8-D30A-449B-8868-4F53CDA75448_zpsjhjcqudv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit I've never played Oblivion, but this is a very cool build! I particularly like how you broke the line of the angled ceiling by extending the cupboard over it, very neat idea!

I must admit I've never played Oblivion, but this is a very cool build! I particularly like how you broke the line of the angled ceiling by extending the cupboard over it, very neat idea!

It's worth a watch. Very well executed film. Joseph Kosinski has a great vision and I wish there was more content out there from him.

The reason I designed it that way is that I wanted it to look like an in-wall cabinet. However, there was no wall where the cabinet would actually be. The overlap covered the seems and will hide the transition from drywall to MDF.

-Eric

I took the TV back into the house to keep it from getting damaged.

I spent some time building the speaker grilles for the cabinet and finished them of with grille cloth.

In addition, I started cutting the trim pieces for the backside of the cabinet. I ran out of wood and had to order some more. It will be a couple days before my supplier can get some in for me to finish up the back.

I have some less than exciting things to do like finish wiring and cabling as well. I'll work on those while I wait for the wood to come in.

-Eric

I love Oblivion and absolutely love what you are doing here. While I don't have a space right now, I do plan on moving in a couple of years to a place with a large shop and you've inspired me to do it up modern like this. Thanks for that.

Thank you eethan for asking how the bevels were done. I had the same question, but I don't fully understand the answer. There are many kinds of CNC's. You clearly have a large one made for wood. Could you give us the model number or a pic, just to get an idea.

I was also at the Star Wars celebration in Orlando. Wish I knew about this then, I would like to have shaken hands. Keep up the good work!

I love Oblivion and absolutely love what you are doing here. While I don't have a space right now, I do plan on moving in a couple of years to a place with a large shop and you've inspired me to do it up modern like this. Thanks for that.

Thank you eethan for asking how the bevels were done. I had the same question, but I don't fully understand the answer. There are many kinds of CNC's. You clearly have a large one made for wood. Could you give us the model number or a pic, just to get an idea.

I was also at the Star Wars celebration in Orlando. Wish I knew about this then, I would like to have shaken hands. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliments!

I use a CNCROUTERPARTS pro with a bed that will support up to a 49x97 sheet of wood. I use Vectric Aspire to create all my files and the g-code needed to carve everything. The bevels are designed in the software and then shaped in the CNC using a ball nose bit.

-Eric

After I finished everything, I started looking at the stairs and think I should probably build out that part too.

I think the transition from the cabinet to the sheetrock (pictured above) needs to be cleaned up and painted along with the cabinet. Admittedly, I spent more time thinking about the front of the cabinet than the back. I have the covers figured out on the outside, but the inside is more complex with the need to decide on hand rails and trim that fits the theme of the space.

-Eric

I know its been awhile since my last post, but summer vacations tend to get in the way of shop time. The good news is that I finished up the stairwell today!!

I carried the design down the stairwell into the first floor of the shop. There isn't going to be as much to do on this level, but there are a few door jambs and window casing I can do to keep the theme alive. I wanted a smooth edge to go with the simple lines that I used up stairs. There were a few challenges having cut around walls and having wider stairs in some places. The cap over the stairs was the easiest way to go about it.

I am still working out what the flooring is going to be. Still thinking industrial carpet squares or possibly EVA foam is the best choice.

36278150241_1101a7622c_z.jpg

36018117540_1c184357b2_z.jpg

36018117520_5853173f89_z.jpg

35579460344_b98cd37f48_z.jpg

36369646126_fe108f6f2d_z.jpg

36369645356_0d1a28bf5d_z.jpg

-Eric

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back