Horror Movie Marathon

Began my personal 31 Days of Halloween last night with a recent annual favorite of mine, "Trick 'r Treat". The movie is a fun movie full of interwoven stories all revolving around a Halloween theme. The fact the film never received a wide theatrical release, flew under the radar and became a cult classic via word of mouth is cool to me.

Guaranteed for me this year, because we'll have one this season, will be a marathon featuring our favorite hockey player Jason on Friday the 13th.

And than the only other annual plans I have every year is:
-The Crow on All Hallows Eve (October 30th)
-John Carpenter's Halloween & Halloween II on October 31st.

-Ash

Caught the original The Invisible Man early this morning capping Turner's Tuesday fright fest. Was flipping back and forth between Frankenstein/Bride... and the Yankees wild card game last night.

Unfriended was hilarious! The kid who kills himself by sticking his face in a juicer???? Come on, man! That's comedy gold!

Their are only a few times I need that much schlock in my horror films...the idea was great I just felt the execution was bad.

I want to see the new Chucky film? Cult of Chucky. I thought the one before it was great. Anyone seen it?

I don't take enough time to watch these movies like I used to but The Thing is one of my all time favorites. Just a monster romp from start to finish. Also why I liked Cabin in the Woods and Frankensteins Army...

Yes, The Birds, a classic! I rewatched that a couple of years ago and thought it held up really well. My favorite part is the first 40-50 minutes that slowly build up the weirdness of what's actually going on.

Not really a horror movie, but we sometimes watch Cronenberg's The Dead Zone around Halloween.

"The ICE... is gonna BREAK!!!"

Yeah, The Thing is another great one, love it.
The Dead Zone is such a great film which doesn't get a fraction of the recognition it deserves. It's not an in-your-face thriller but it has a lot of humanity with just enough of a Cronenberg touch.

One of my favorite Cronenberg films.
Possibly my favorite "Stephen King film" but certainly top three.
Definitely my favorite Christopher Walken performance of all time.

The Dead Zone is such a great film which doesn't get a fraction of the recognition it deserves. It's not an in-your-face thriller but it has a lot of humanity with just enough of a Cronenberg touch.

One of my favorite Cronenberg films.
Possibly my favorite "Stephen King film" but certainly top three.
Definitely my favorite Christopher Walken performance of all time.

Well said, I completely agree. It's a pretty tragic story and Walken was perfect casting.

This weekend, I'm checking out Kong: Skull Island. After that, I'll finally see Halloween 3: Season of the Witch for the first time. And for anyone who grew up celebrating Halloween in the late 70s or early 80s, I'd recommend a viewing of the Freaks and Geeks episode, Tricks and Treats.

Edgar Ulmer's The Black Cat. Very strange film with a very subdued Karloff and fantastic Lugosi. Actually watched it twice (short film). Also, Bowery at Midnight, a stinker with Lugosi. It's mostly a crime film but has a supernatural element that's very forced. Fun enough.

Return of Dracula, a real turd.

With tomorrow being October 1st, anyone have any plans to start watching any horror films with Halloween quickly approaching? Any recommendations? Here is one list I just found with some flicks I'll check out.
https://themenlohouse.com/10-scary-movie-to-watch-this-halloween/

In the interim, I'm going to pop on John Carpenter's The Thing starting tomorrow.

That list is all relatively new movies. I like the old stuff better, when it was more about fear or horror than jump scares.

How about...
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Hellraiser
Pet Semetary
Exorcist
The Omen
The Shining
Poltergeist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Fly '86
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Carrie
Evil Dead

My viewing so far...I try to go for a broad mix, and include plenty I haven't seen:
Bone Tomahawk
The Dark Half
Santa Sangre
Society
I Eat Your Skin
Pumpkinhead
Nekromantik
Aliens
Nudist Colony of the Dead
Pet Sematary
Kingdom of the Spiders
Pan's Labyrinth
Shivers
Chopping Mall
Slumber Party Massacre
Alien Covenant
Cult of Chucky
Rock n' Roll Nightmare
I Spit On Your Grave (1978)
Monster Madness: The Golden Age of Horror
Friday the13th VI
Nightmare on Elm Street IV
Halloween (2007)
Halloween 2 (2009)

You guys ever see Brian Yuzna's Society? It's streaming on Amazon and I watched it the other day. I always loved the Re-Animator movies and others by those guys, but somehow this one slipped by me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back