Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Technically that is true. But they are very hands on. The same can be said for Marvel movies, they are all the same formula and vision. And I'm kinda seeing the exact same thing happen to SW ( or have been since 2015 ). The firing of those directors is very telling, that's not a LF call.

While Disney owns the property and has final say, I don't know that we can blame only Disney for all of the recent director firings. There have been countless articles about what went down in the case of this particular movie. And it's been reported that KK and Kasdan pushed for the firing after they realized it wasn't working. I still don't know why they (mostly Kasdan?) initially thought they would be a good fit. I guess they wanted it to be like GOTG?

While Disney owns the property and has final say, I don't know that we can blame only Disney for all of the recent director firings. There have been countless articles about what went down in the case of this particular movie. And it's been reported that KK and Kasdan pushed for the firing after they realized it wasn't working. I still don't know why they (mostly Kasdan?) initially thought they would be a good fit. I guess they wanted it to be like GOTG?

Yeah valid point. I don't understand either!

She was hired by George before the sale.

That was in preparation for the sale. The timeline is as follows:

May '11: Lucas tells Iger (KK's boss at Disney) he wants to sell LFL,
June '12: Lucas hires KK as co-Chair of LFL.
October '12: Disney buys LFL and promotes KK to President of LFL and Brand Manager for SW.

I repeat...KK is Disney.

The Wook

That was in preparation for the sale. The timeline is as follows:

May '11: Lucas tells Iger (KK's boss at Disney) he wants to sell LFL,
June '12: Lucas hires KK as co-Chair of LFL.
October '12: Disney buys LFL and promotes KK to President of LFL and Brand Manager for SW.

I repeat...KK is Disney.

Um... She never worked at Disney. She and her husband, Frank Marshall (also a long-time Hollywood producer) co-founded Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg... Then when Spielberg, Katzenberg, and Geffen formed DreamWorks, Kennedy and Marshall split off from Amblin and formed their own production company, with a deal with DreamWorks. Jeffrey Katzenberg was the Disney chairman prior to co-founding DreamWorks, and DreamWorks has had a distribution deal with Disney since '09, and that's the closest Kathleen Kennedy has ever come to "working for Disney". Bob Iger was never her boss until after Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney and retired from the company. She's worked with Disney on various projects over the years, but that's not the same thing.

--Jonah

Um... She never worked at Disney. She and her husband, Frank Marshall (also a long-time Hollywood producer) co-founded Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg... Then when Spielberg, Katzenberg, and Geffen formed DreamWorks, Kennedy and Marshall split off from Amblin and formed their own production company, with a deal with DreamWorks. Jeffrey Katzenberg was the Disney chairman prior to co-founding DreamWorks, and DreamWorks has had a distribution deal with Disney since '09, and that's the closest Kathleen Kennedy has ever come to "working for Disney". Bob Iger was never her boss until after Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney and retired from the company. She's worked with Disney on various projects over the years, but that's not the same thing.

--Jonah

Oh for Heaven's sake, she works for Disney now, and has since the acquisition five years ago. This whole thing was arranged by Lucas, Iger, and Kennedy. Do you really believe that KK just happened to get hired by George FOUR months before the finalization of the sale--a sale that George had already been talking to Iger about for well over a year--and that her hiring had nothing to do with the pending acquiisition?!

Parse it any way you want, but KK works for Disney now, and has worked for them for the last 5 years. Furthermore, she landed that job because it was arranged by Lucas and her Disney boss, Iger, during the time when the final negotiated terms of the acquisition were becoming official. George hiring KK, was part of the deal.

I'll say it a third time, in as many posts: KK is Disney.

The Wook

The Wook -- conspiracy theory much? Of course George hired her because he was planning to sell to Disney and retire. But it was because he'd known her for over thirty years and she was part of the George-and-Steven clique. To George, she was a known quantity that he felt he could trust with his baby. Not a corporate shill foisted on him by Iger.

Yes, KK works for Disney now. You were saying she got the job because she worked for Disney before.

Regardless, it's still not Disney running the show. They have been very hands-off with both Marvel Studios and LFL. Taking some of the credit, controlling the pursestrings, and being perfectly happy to keep letting Marvel and Lucasfilm make gobs of money for them. KK wasn't a Disney pawn before, and she's not a Disney pawn now. I try to be very clear where I lay either blame or praise -- how much was KK, how much was Abrams, how much was the Story Group, how much was Kasdan, etc. But if any of it was actually Disney, it was minor creative contributions, at most.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankly Disney owns a lot of properties. To assume Disney has got LFL under their boot would be to assume that ABC News is just a PR affiliate. It's far more complicated than that. Sure, Disney sends a request down the pipeline every now and then, but they're not exactly micromanaging anything.

@The Wook -- conspiracy theory much? Of course George hired her because he was planning to sell to Disney and retire. But it was because he'd known her for over thirty years and she was part of the George-and-Steven clique. To George, she was a known quantity that he felt he could trust with his baby. Not a corporate shill foisted on him by Iger.

Yes, KK works for Disney now. You were saying she got the job because she worked for Disney before.

Regardless, it's still not Disney running the show. They have been very hands-off with both Marvel Studios and LFL. Taking some of the credit, controlling the pursestrings, and being perfectly happy to keep letting Marvel and Lucasfilm make gobs of money for them. KK wasn't a Disney pawn before, and she's not a Disney pawn now. I try to be very clear where I lay either blame or praise -- how much was KK, how much was Abrams, how much was the Story Group, how much was Kasdan, etc. But if any of it was actually Disney, it was minor creative contributions, at most.

--Jonah

When I wrote parenthetically (KK's boss at Disney) about Iger, I was describing his relationship to her once the deal was officially signed--I should've said "soon-to-be boss". But it doesn't matter. Don't you think Iger had to agree to KK's hiring? Don't you think Iger had conversations with KK before agreeing, to make sure that when he said, "Jump", she'd yell, "How high?!"?

The bottom line is that she works for Disney now, she has worked for Disney for 5 years, and she is responsible to the Disney shareholders to make commercial mega-hits with as many SW movies as she can crank out--irrespective to the quality of the films. Do I think KK wants to make bad SW movies? Of course not. She wants to make great SW movies. But that is her secondary goal. Her primary goal is gargantuan hauls at the box office, to revive and sustain the SW brand.

What saddens me is, that she could meet both of her goals...if only she possessed a higher SWIQ.

The Wook

Her primary goal is gargantuan hauls at the box office, to revive and sustain the SW brand.
You say this as if it's exclusive to KK. Making money is the No. 1 goal to ANY producer. Doesn't matter if it's Spielberg, Kennedy, Marshall, Whedon, Lucas, Favreau. They're all in this business to make money. Sure, they get to make money doing what they like, but they nobody is a producer on a movie just for the thrill of making a movie. They're all there to fill seats and make money for the studio.

You say this as if it's exclusive to KK. Making money is the No. 1 goal to ANY producer. Doesn't matter if it's Spielberg, Kennedy, Marshall, Whedon, Lucas, Favreau. They're all in this business to make money. Sure, they get to make money doing what they like, but they nobody is a producer on a movie just for the thrill of making a movie. They're all there to fill seats and make money for the studio.

That is correct. But some filmmakers have more artistic integrity than others. And some Star Wars filmmakers have higher SWIQs than others.

The Wook

Kathleen Kennedy has been part of the Lucas extended family for quite some time. She started as a secretary for John Milius (who wrote Apocalypse Now - which George was originally going to direct ) - she then went and worked on Spielberg's 1941, CE3K and then Raiders of the Lost Ark - where she became friends with George. She formed Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg and her husband, Frank Marshall. Doesn't take much to realize who Spielberg and how he fits in with George. Her story continues after that... she built on that success.

Kathleen Kennedy was hand picked by George Lucas himself, partly because of her ability to 'navigate the studio circles while maintaining high artistic standards' (“I mean, he never really exercised his power as far as I was concerned, but Kathy learned how to navigate that world very, very well.” - GL). He only hired her this after consulting with Spielberg. Anything else is rumor, speculation and conjecture.

It's also been stated that Kennedy didn't know about the talks that led to the sale prior to being named as co-chair of LFL - and Disney was also in the dark about KK's hiring. GL intended to stay on a few years while thing's transitioned... but, things move faster that expected.

She formed Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg and her husband, Frank Marshall.

Yes, and all it took was one phone call from Spielberg to KK, saying, "Hey, I met a kid at a friend's daughter's bat mitzvah. I really think he should be the new Han Solo.".

It's also been stated that Kennedy didn't know about the talks that led to the sale prior to being named as co-chair of LFL - and Disney was also in the dark about KK's hiring. GL intended to stay on a few years while thing's transitioned... but, things move faster that expected.

Not saying you didn't read that somewhere. But as to the veracity of it?? What a load of manure!!

The Wook

The difference is I have the ability to backup my resources.

Anything else is rumor, speculation and conjecture - provide your sources and backup your statements.

You can't. So stop being a troll.

SWIQ - Such a Wee IQ?

The difference is I have the ability to backup my resources.

Anything else is rumor, speculation and conjecture - provide your sources and backup your statements.

You can't. So stop being a troll.

Let's face it...virtually everything we read online is rumor, speculation and conjecture.

But I apply common sense and a high SWIQ to what I read, to sort through the ********.

The Wook

Let's face it...virtually everything we read online is rumor, speculation and conjecture.

But I apply common sense and a high SWIQ to what I read, to sort through the ********.

The Wook

Wrong as usual..

"When I first came into this company, I had about five months where it was back and forth in his mind as to whether he was going to sell, when he was going to sell. At the same time, we were talking about making new movies. He was the one who initially approached Harrison and Mark and Carrie." -Hollywood Reporter

"By June 2012, Kennedy was named co-chair of Lucasfilm, initially running the studio alongside its founder. She barely had time to settle in, however, before another big shift came along. Unbeknownst to Kennedy, Lucas was already in talks to sell Lucasfilm to Disney. (He had likewise kept Disney in the dark while negotiating with Kennedy.)" -Fortune Magazine

"Kathleen Kennedy: I sat with George in April of 2012, and the company was sold in September of 2012, so it was a relatively short amount of time before. But one of the first conversations I had creatively with George was about doing other movies than the saga films. And he had a few ideas he was kicking around but he was very open to where this might go in the Star Wars universe.
Peter: So back before he sold to Disney, was he planning to make these films?

Kathleen Kennedy:
No, he was planning to retire. He was talking to me about making these films." -Slash Films

Wrong as usual..

"When I first came into this company, I had about five months where it was back and forth in his mind as to whether he was going to sell, when he was going to sell. At the same time, we were talking about making new movies. He was the one who initially approached Harrison and Mark and Carrie." -Hollywood Reporter

"By June 2012, Kennedy was named co-chair of Lucasfilm, initially running the studio alongside its founder. She barely had time to settle in, however, before another big shift came along. Unbeknownst to Kennedy, Lucas was already in talks to sell Lucasfilm to Disney. (He had likewise kept Disney in the dark while negotiating with Kennedy.)" -Fortune Magazine

"Kathleen Kennedy: I sat with George in April of 2012, and the company was sold in September of 2012, so it was a relatively short amount of time before. But one of the first conversations I had creatively with George was about doing other movies than the saga films. And he had a few ideas he was kicking around but he was very open to where this might go in the Star Wars universe.
Peter: So back before he sold to Disney, was he planning to make these films?

Kathleen Kennedy:
No, he was planning to retire. He was talking to me about making these films." -Slash Films​

Bryancd, I must say I am SHOCKED...shocked that you believe KK's account. It's so unlike you, to defend her or her company, Disney.

The Wook

Bryancd, I must say I am SHOCKED...shocked that you believe KK's account. It's so unlike you, to defend her or her company, Disney.

The Wook

You wanted evidence she wasn't initially aware of the Disney acquisition and I have provided that. I'm not defending anything or opining, simply proving you wrong. Moving on from your nonsense....

Technically LucasFilm is Kennedy's company. Disney is Iger's.

Well, the current corporate structure is LucasFilm is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney. That doesn't speak at all to creative decisions and internal LucasFilm personnel choices. Disney funds their operations as part of their budget and recognize their revenue in their overall studio and lisencing revenue. But we should just listen to @Wook, he's seems really informed on all of this.....

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back