Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

It's absurd.

Those massive lifts/platforms he's got on his feet won't help him.

The Wook

How obvious are they? I'd have thought they would try and disguise them just a little, he looks like he's wearing Spice Girl platforms!!

I think I still would have been more optimistic if they had brought in an acting coach for Ingruber, because they had to for Alden anyway. At least Ingruber has the benefit of resemblance.

God, he's short. :facepalm

Looks very GOTG, to me. Although, I do see the Star Wars standard aesthetic in there.

I was thinking the same thing...first thought I had was "wow this looks just like the Collector's lair.."

Stupid Lucasfilm. Don't they know about the stature/gross ratio? Every inch their leading man falls below 6 feet reduces the opening-weekend box office by $3.652 million and costs it 1.45% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Interesting pictures, I must admit the stuffed ewok made me laugh out loud. I like the overall set design on this, and the fact it is a collector like room doesn't hurt it, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one in that galaxy far, far away. Hell, I've seen many and even better ones here on the RPF.
Again, I'd make the same observations as before. Alden will probably have his super booster boots removed digitally but I still think he's a risky choice for this. In "Beautiful Creatues" he comes across a moderate, more "metro" male lead with his female co star and much the same in his two films after. He's more Luke like than Han.Han is an alpha male jock which Alden isn't. He's charming and nice and I'm sure many moms are going to love him and not a few of their daughters but no bloke is going to respect him like most of us did Harrison.
He's really going to have to pull the character acting out of the box to make a success of this because physically he's already on the back foot. I feel sorry for the guy and those that cast him.It seems a mistake to have burdened him with the part. And I still wonder if they are keeping Ingruber for the "Indy" films, he sadly doesn't seem to be doing much work at the moment, which may be indicative of his acting abilities or perhaps he's getting alot of coaching lessons before the new Indy kicks off.
I can understand why they replaced the directors, Lucafilm has seemed to struggle with their SWIQ much like Marvel did in the very early days until they hit the nail on the head with "Iron Man", but "Rogue One" finally swung it in the direction they needed to go, so the original plans for this Solo film that seemed to be a bit more out there and less cannon got binned after the R1 BO and feedback came in after release.
Both standalones were originally being pushed as being well outside the envelope of the usual SW fare, R1 was supposed to be a "dark and gritty war movie like "Saving Private Ryan" and in the end was a pretty bloodless affair and hardly different at all in tone from the OT films ,which was ultimately was the right decision to make. The Han Solo was going to be a "comic western" but it seems to be falling back closer in line to the OTs guidelines again.
I do hope they make some bolder choices in the future. The one thing that makes the best SW movies so successful is that they actually ARE old fashioned in many ways, with strong characters leads that are typical movie archetypes that succesfully draw the audience to them.I hope they don't forget that.

Both standalones were originally being pushed as being well outside the envelope of the usual SW fare, R1 was supposed to be a "dark and gritty war movie like "Saving Private Ryan" and in the end was a pretty bloodless affair and hardly different at all in tone from the OT films ,which was ultimately was the right decision to make.

Was it the right decision though? I really enjoy Rogue One for what it is, but I would have much preferred if it were that dark and gritty war film it was originally intended to be. When news started coming out about Rogue One, the biggest thing that got me excited for it was that it was going to be a war film focused on the Rebels, which sounded like a dream come true. Unfortunately, I was let down with the final product in that sense. The whole point of these stand alone films is to push the boundaries of what Star Wars is, not keep doing the same thing we've seen for 40 years. Star Wars has always been experimental in nature, not only in technology.

It's fine if they keep taking inspiration from the OT (I'd prefer it, frankly), but if Lucasfilm doesn't get more experimental with their films and take greater risks, they may run the risk of the franchise growing stale. That's one thing that Marvel Studios is really good at - combining superheroes with genre films and making each movie feel different than the last.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, but I am really pulling for Lucasfilm to take the franchise in new directions.

Was it the right decision though? I really enjoy Rogue One for what it is, but I would have much preferred if it were that dark and gritty war film it was originally intended to be. When news started coming out about Rogue One, the biggest thing that got me excited for it was that it was going to be a war film focused on the Rebels, which sounded like a dream come true. Unfortunately, I was let down with the final product in that sense. The whole point of these stand alone films is to push the boundaries of what Star Wars is, not keep doing the same thing we've seen for 40 years. Star Wars has always been experimental in nature, not only in technology.

It's fine if they keep taking inspiration from the OT (I'd prefer it, frankly), but if Lucasfilm doesn't get more experimental with their films and take greater risks, they may run the risk of the franchise growing stale. That's one thing that Marvel Studios is really good at - combining superheroes with genre films and making each movie feel different than the last.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, but I am really pulling for Lucasfilm to take the franchise in new directions.

But then for those of us with children we wouldn't be able to have that shared experience. I never want a Star Wars film made that I couldn't take my son to.

But then for those of us with children we wouldn't be able to have that shared experience. I never want a Star Wars film made that I couldn't take my son to.
What about when your son grows up and wants a badass Star Wars film? Or, let him watch it and not think too much about it? Hell, I saw the original Total Recall, Robocop, and Predator when I was 8 years old. Kind of tired of the "waahh my kids wahhh" argument. Not everyone has kids ya know. Im with Thain on that for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

I never said it had to be an R rated war film. Star Wars could never get as graphic as something like Saving Private Ryan, it just wouldn't fit and we all know Disney would never allow that. The only blood or gore we ever see is when Ponda Baba's loses his arm and Padme's back is scratched. BUT, we watched Anakin lose 3 limbs/burn to near death and Padme die in child birth in Revenge of the Sith...that's pretty damn dark. Frankly, I think that's much darker than Rebel grunts and Stormtroopers being slaughtered on the battlefield by blaster bolts that don't seem to do any damage other than burning clothes and armor.

A war film doesn't imply it has to be full of R-rated Mel Gibson-styled violence.

All I'm saying is I'd prefer if Lucasfilm got more experimental with style, tone, and genres in future movies.

Guys, they're not saving Ingruber for anything. No one at LFL/Disney wants a 2-hour SNL sketch to replace Harrison Ford.

I'm really getting tired of people saying that.

Ingruber has a good voice and doesn't have to do an imitation. Frankly, I think the director went a little too far with the mimicking in AOA. If Ingruber were in a whole movie, they would just be interjecting a few "Fordisms" here and there, but the rest would be normal talk. Don't think they won't be forcing Alden to speak like HF here and there. The audience has to have SOME connection to the Han Solo character we all know and love. For all we know, that's what the acting coach is for.

AND, what if Ingruber did do a slight imitation all the way through (unlike his YouTube example)? There are a lot of "actors" who have won an academy award for imitation of someone else in a movie. Take Jamie Foxx, for instance. He was totally a comedy actor and pulled off a brilliant performance "imitating" Ray Charles. With the right direction, anything is possible. In my opinion, I think Ron Howard would have been able to pull a great performance out of Ingruber. What could have been...

Also, if Disney is grooming Ingruber for Indiana Jones, he wouldn't be forced to imitate Ford, since Ford is set to reprise the role in the next one. He's more likely the replacement son.

What about when your son grows up and wants a badass Star Wars film? Or, let him watch it and not think too much about it? Hell, I saw the original Total Recall, Robocop, and Predator when I was 8 years old. Kind of tired of the "waahh my kids wahhh" argument. Not everyone has kids ya know. Im with @Thain on that for sure.

Exactly. I wasn't allowed to see RotS when it came out because I was too young (my parent's had a strict "no PG-13 movies until you're 13" rule) , but now that I'm older, it's my favorite of the prequels because of how dark and mature it is.

When you dig deeper, Star Wars isn't all sunshine and rainbows all the time. Luke did kill 369,740 people when he blew up the Death Star you know. Sure, they were bad space Nazis, but that's a lot of people!! That's waaaay more than Vader ever killed on screen.

The impersonation is the only reason to hire him, and thankfully LFL agrees it's not a good enough reason. I understand that you're getting tired of hearing that his imitation is the performance equivalent of the CG "uncanny valley" (in that it's just close enough to be bothersome), but the truth is that he's not a great actor and they're just not interested. If the bizarre fantasy that he's being "saved" or "groomed" for anything were raised less often, we'd similarly have to steer the conversation back to reality less often.

I'm really getting tired of people saying that.

Ingruber has a good voice and doesn't have to do an imitation. Frankly, I think the director went a little too far with the mimicking in AOA. If Ingruber were in a whole movie, they would just be interjecting a few "Fordisms" here and there, but the rest would be normal talk. Don't think they won't be forcing Alden to speak like HF here and there. The audience has to have SOME connection to the Han Solo character we all know and love. For all we know, that's what the acting coach is for.

AND, what if Ingruber did do a slight imitation all the way through (unlike his YouTube example)? There are a lot of "actors" who have won an academy award for imitation of someone else in a movie. Take Jamie Foxx, for instance. He was totally a comedy actor and pulled off a brilliant performance "imitating" Ray Charles. With the right direction, anything is possible. In my opinion, I think Ron Howard would have been able to pull a great performance out of Ingruber. What could have been...

Also, if Disney is grooming Ingruber for Indiana Jones, he wouldn't be forced to imitate Ford, since Ford is set to reprise the role in the next one. He's more likely the replacement son.

Uh, the impersonation is the only reason to hire Ingruber?

Helloooo:
ford-ingruber-compare.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back