ANOVOS Darth Vader

But not 99% of the propscene.And that is the standard for the quality of a prop.For normal people a Rubies standard helmet is a screenused prop.
And don´t forget...one day you will always be a die-hard Vaderfan.Who knows?:lol;)

Let's give these guys a break here people,
My first vader was a fiberglass cast of a rubies supreme that I fixed into what I thought was my "perfect" Vader

vad-proj-finweb.jpg

And here it is... It's what I thought I saw in 77 and I was so proud of it.

mydarth75.jpg

And this is my second, some eight years later, a modified EFX PCR, I still have a long way to go before I get to the new "perfect" as I now understand more

I remember your first helmet was a plain old unmodified rubies supreme wasn't it @vader45 ? we all learn along the way don't we? :)

Collect what you like & can afford. If you collect what others say you should get, you will never be happy.
I would get a finished ROTJ CFO in a nano second .... if I could afford it. I think it's stunningly beautiful. & you can't get any closer to being screen accurate.
I would get a ESB Quasimodo in a nano second also.... if I could afford it. I think it's stunningly beautiful as well. & I love the work that Bookface & MacLaren are doing.

I’m a bit torn about adding to the tangent this thread’s taken, but...

In my view, lineage only gets you so far. It can be one aspect of a good looking prop replica, but I wouldn’t call it the most essential aspect. Case in point- the fiberglass EFX ANH Vader lid I own has “lineage” to the Baker molds, but I like the look of the Quasimodo ANH better. Is it perfectly accurate? No, but neither is the EFX. Unless I’m mistaken, even a lineage lid like the TM isn’t perfect, due to the damage to the tusks that was repaired (not trying to degrade the TM, just saying there are compromises to some degree in almost every example.)

As mentioned above, all that really matters is how we each feel about our own stuff. I’m generally not too bothered by people telling me what I should like, or which helmet is “better” :)

Before I got my Darth Stone, I thought my Don Post classic action helmet was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

I felt the exact same way about my Classic Action! Until then, I only had the 77/78 Post. Here's the vintage next to the recent EFX:

I must've spent HOURS wearing the original as a kid.

I’m a bit torn about adding to the tangent this thread’s taken, but...

In my view, lineage only gets you so far. It can be one aspect of a good looking prop replica, but I wouldn’t call it the most essential aspect. Case in point- the fiberglass EFX ANH Vader lid I own has “lineage” to the Baker molds, but I like the look of the Quasimodo ANH better. Is it perfectly accurate? No, but neither is the EFX. Unless I’m mistaken, even a lineage lid like the TM isn’t perfect, due to the damage to the tusks that was repaired (not trying to degrade the TM, just saying there are compromises to some degree in almost every example.)

As mentioned above, all that really matters is how we each feel about our own stuff. I’m generally not too bothered by people telling me what I should like, or which helmet is “better” :)

Why you like the Quasimodo more as the EFX is because the Quasimodo is a lot better painted.If bookface would repaint an EFX legend it would be a lot better helmet as his own creation.I´m only talking about the cast...the finish is another point.But if you have a good authentic cast with a superior finish ...nothing can beat this.

Oh..and 16 years ago..my birthday..a friend is wearing my ultimate prophelmet..:

32040255di.jpg

:lol

I got my "ultimate" Vader in about 94, a don post like the above, I had wanted one for years :)
I definitely didn't like selling it either when I upgraded.
Oh those were the days.

Found mine in a comicbookstore...the seller said: "This is an accurate replica of Darth Vaders helmet."

And I ::eek

Still have mine in the garage.Do you know that this little kids helmet is also a movieprop?
In the movie "Joey"from 1985 one kid is wearing it.:)

But it is a great marketing idea.."its not 100% accurate..BUT...the emotions are better!"-And you see..it works with some guys.;)

I can understand this point with the look on others not so talented "vaderartists".But nothing goes over a real authentic cast.

Oh..I got my CFO cast this week...great.:):thumbsup

Freakin lucky SOB Im still wainting on mine. But Im on the finished list. Bla I hate waiting in anticipation for this long. It drives me nuts as im super impatient with this kind of stuff. Screw the wait I want my helmet!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Collect what you like & can afford. If you collect what others say you should get, you will never be happy.
I would get a finished ROTJ CFO in a nano second .... if I could afford it. I think it's stunningly beautiful. & you can't get any closer to being screen accurate.
I would get a ESB Quasimodo in a nano second also.... if I could afford it. I think it's stunningly beautiful as well. & I love the work that Bookface & MacLaren are doing.

That is actually very well said. I wasnt knocking anybody wanting to get the Quasimodo. My point was the fact that Mac hides the inaccuracies and the fact that its a fan sculpt with his "Emotions and capturing the look" speal. It ropes uneducated(with vaders) people into thinking this helmet is the closest and best option out there. The fact remains that an authentic cast will always trump a fan sculpt as the authentic casts tend to share the same molds and connections to the screen used and thus ultimately the same sculpt. You can not get any closer to the "LOOK" of Vader then that.

But if the Quasimodo is the helmet you want. Be my guest and have fun. That is what this hobby is all about.

To be honest ....."Emotions and capturing the look" can in fact differ from the actual used stuff. Sometimes i don´t want a replica of that what was used on screen. Sometimes i just want a replica of that what i have seen on screen, 77 when i was a 10 year old without HD and screenshots.

With some props it just sadened me (with better info and technic today) how bad the work of the sculptors and propmakers was done then. Well, i guess it wasn´t worth to do it better at that time.

Freakin lucky SOB Im still wainting on mine. But Im on the finished list. Bla I hate waiting in anticipation for this long. It drives me nuts as im super impatient with this kind of stuff. Screw the wait I want my helmet!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I can understand you.Had also a long waiting time for my cast.But it is really worth..a great helmet.And good casting work.
I paint it myself because I want the paint close with my ROTJ Reveal helmet and other Vaderhelmets.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually took my cheap little Don Post helmet that I bought at Disneyland and did some upgrades on it and gave it an accurate paint job. This is back when I didn't even know any other helmets existed. I made my own set of chest armor to go with it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180309/e0a34b757f5bb06d10a4acd220dfff56.jpg

Haha..that looks great.I really love stuff like that.:):thumbsup

To be honest ....."Emotions and capturing the look" can in fact differ from the actual used stuff. Sometimes i don´t want a replica of that what was used on screen. Sometimes i just want a replica of that what i have seen on screen, 77 when i was a 10 year old without HD and screenshots.

With some props it just sadened me (with better info and technic today) how bad the work of the sculptors and propmakers was done then. Well, i guess it wasn´t worth to do it better at that time.

Yeah that’s exactly what i wanted to mean. Sometimes, in a total different environment that the period film set, due to light or distorsion, a 100% movie accurate can appear different or not bring back what we saw.
Contrary to a 100% fan sculpt which is more dedicated to evoque the mood and souvenirs of what made us love the character.

once again i’m not saying that a helmet is better than one other but just like Lichtbringer said with brio, it depends of what you want. Stuff that reproduces what was used on set or what we saw and experienced on screen...

Stuff that reproduces what was used on set or what we saw and experienced on screen...

I bet you saw exactly what they used on set.
And what is a fansculpt making better?Because it looks near to the original in some shots and in others not?Why has bookface always postet pics from his helmet next to the originals?Because he wants to match it more with every sculpt.
I can understand when you say that you like his version of Vader more.But to say he shows better what was seen on screen is a complete nonsense.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back