Galen Erso's Message Prop?

The14thDr

Sr Member
Galen's message for Jyn was delivered to Saw Gerrera on a cool-looking storage device, but unfortunately I don't have the Rogue One DVD yet so I can't get any screencaps.

If someone could be kind enough to post a few screen captures of this prop, I'd be very grateful as I'd quite like to give it a go at some point (as will many other people, I'm sure).

Thank you in advance fellow RPFers. :)

Screen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.27 PM.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.28 PM.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.29 PM 001.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.29 PM 002.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.29 PM 003.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.29 PM 004.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.29 PM.PNGScreen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.30 PM.PNG

Does this prop have a name? :confused
Not as far as I know. I suppose we could call it the “Rogue One data storage unit” - similar to the small device used to store the map to Skywalker in episode 7; but then that could be easily confused with the Imperial datatapes or the Rebel data card that appear in the same movie. :-\

Can't believe noone made one by now :eek
Me too. It seems like such a simple little prop - and a nice change from the usual blasters/lightsabers.

Thanks for posting those images, Protoss! (And for the link, too. There are some great screencaps on that site!) You’ve inspired me to give my build another try; with the sizes being so similar, I should be able to build this around my USB drive and have a functional prop (or at least that’s the plan, anyway.) [emoji6]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finished modeling this and am currently test printing a few samples.
I'll be offering them in my etsy store. 3D printed on a DLP machine in gray resin with gold painted accents and weathered to match.

Just a very quick test
Here’s a raw print where I included the circuit traces as part of the model
6da54704a7b323211b5e78ba19443216.jpg

Use a gold paint pen in the grooves and then sand it back off leaving it in the traces.
5142de59946724efa2c5938a1b2f3fcc.jpg

But I’m not happy with that so I’m printing another test that is smooth and I cut this on the vinyl cutter out of some test material. I ordered some gold so we’ll see how that looks
812a55c924f1b8f8cd9f719386d0fb06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test two with vinyl. This is just silver vinyl I had in hand.
Much better
17a0bb7b35acd09334ea26db41e8feef.jpg

I have updated the model and the trace file based on that key from Solo. I also have some gold vinyl coming today so I should have a more realistic test tonight.

Looks really great :thumbsup Very nice work! The vinyl looks better imho.
I'm looking forward to your offers on etsy :cool

I don't want to be too nitpicky, but if I'm allowed I'd like to suggest a little longer tip.
View attachment 832611

Yep! Already ahead of you.That's one of the fixes I already noticed and corrected. I'm halfway into a new print. I'll show updated shortly
The tip is the right length, but the two bars on the side were too long. ;)
I completely rebuilt it from scratch after seeing the key from Solo thawn_es posted. I think it's pretty dead on now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back