Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

This just gets better

Agree with Hunk a Junk that the painting looks a bit weak on that display model......it needs some TLC

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Yay! Woohoo on the photo-etch!

Though a shame it's only external parts. Guess the cockpit walls won't be PE even though it looks like it in the photos. Unless there's a second fret I suppose.

Great pictures!

I noticed that one of the engine pieces (snow shovel) is broken, is that on purpose, I wonder, or just shipping damage?

Did you mean this part?

20170731_143230_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be there. The display in the battle diorama has no such damage. Someone may have busted it when putting the model together - or as you guessed, it broke when the model was being shipped to the event.

I'll be surprised if there's no photoetch for the back cockpit wall. It seems like a no-brainer. That said, I won't cry about it if it isn't there. At this point I'm fairly certain I'm going to attempt to make swappable cockpits: a true ANH short version that matches the studio set and a 5-foot studio model faux cockpit. Hopefully, the kit's engineering won't make such cockpit inserts impossible.

Doing the 5 footer at 1/72 is tricky as far as matching the weathering and paint of the original studio model...
I'm also wondering why they didn't copy the engine exhaust or cockpit details as this isn't really a studio replica now?

Doing the 5 footer at 1/72 is tricky as far as matching the weathering and paint of the original studio model...
I'm also wondering why they didn't copy the engine exhaust or cockpit details as this isn't really a studio replica now?

I wouldn't have thought that this would have been a studio replica, none of their other models have the original studio model cockpits,...TIE's, DV's TIE, Y-Wings X Wings, the AT-ST,...etc....etc

Bandai are making models of the Sci-fi vessels, not the studio models,....as for which cockpit in this Falcon.....they have used the revised measurements for ESB & everything since, that is the official dimensions....with enough leg room for the two passengers

DeAgostini who professed to be making a 'Studio Scale Replica" of the 32" put a representation of the film's cockpit interior as well as the hold in their model

In regards for the engine array.....they need to represent the space craft mechanics,.....they did that with their 1/44 as did FineMolds with their models

J

Bandai offered the glassless canopies as an option, the option of filming model cockpits would have been a nice touch. Prior to the special ed editions, I just assumed the Falcon's engine was something more exotic than a bank of rocket engines. The plain light strip gave the impression of something more advanced, which made sense considering how stupid fast it was supposed to be.

Bandai are making models of the Sci-fi vessels, not the studio models,....as for which cockpit in this Falcon.....they have used the revised measurements for ESB & everything since, that is the official dimensions....with enough leg room for the two passengers

DeAgostini who professed to be making a 'Studio Scale Replica" of the 32" put a representation of the film's cockpit interior as well as the hold in their model

Sure, that's all fine. But what I don't get is why Bandai has been bragging about how utterly perfectly 100% faithful they are to every single detail of the 1977 movie model - and then they go and stick in a cockpit from the 1980 movie.

Or how DeAgostini bragged about the sheer perfection of their studio-sized masterpiece, and how it was based on one of the models from the 1980 movie - and then they go and stick internal sidewall depth from the 1977 movie.

It's not a huge deal for me, as anything I don't like I'll just fix. It's just baffling to me. It's not like either decision was easier or cheaper or anything.

Sure, that's all fine. But what I don't get is why Bandai has been bragging about how utterly perfectly 100% faithful they are to every single detail of the 1977 movie model - and then they go and stick in a cockpit from the 1980 movie.

Or how DeAgostini bragged about the sheer perfection of their studio-sized masterpiece, and how it was based on one of the models from the 1980 movie - and then they go and stick internal sidewall depth from the 1977 movie.

It's not a huge deal for me, as anything I don't like I'll just fix. It's just baffling to me. It's not like either decision was easier or cheaper or anything.

To be fair they did state that certain aspects were to give a real world view.

I think the majority of people who are going to buy the kit would be abit shocked at the janky filming miniture cockpit and would be expecting one that they saw han solo actually sitting in. I dont mean to offend anyone btw,i got respect for anyone who wants an exact replica of the filming miniture and is willing to put the time in to get it :)

But they have, no one has ever gone to this depth of accuracy & precision

Were you honestly expecting them to put in a wonky ANH set or the studio model cockpit interior? ....& have a problem with the refined interior which has been in 2 of the OT films, probably 3 of the ST films & now in the Han Solo movie, it's the official interior

J

Why go to the bother of doing the three-point landing gear, since that's probably no longer considered canon either?

- - - Updated - - -

And re: the other point, it would've been worth it for the explosion of hilariously indignant outrage from across the Internet had Bandai chosen to put the janky studio cockpit in there. :)

I think the majority of people who are going to buy the kit would be a bit shocked at the janky filming miniture cockpit

Even though I'm exploring the idea of making a studio model cockpit, I would never expect Bandai to offer the kit with one. I don't think anyone is suggesting they should. It's no different than Round 2 having a bridge and shuttle bay in their TOS Enterprise model even though the studio model had neither (not to mention an unfinished side). I want to make the studio model cockpit because there are shots in the movies and promotional shots where its visible and I'd like to replicate that.

Interestingly, who remembers the MPC Falcon cockpit with no control console, conjoined pilot seats, and a clear back wall with a submarine-style door? :sick

Why go to the bother of doing the three-point landing gear, since that's probably no longer considered canon either?

It is canon...the 3 gears are clearly seen in SW,...Han & Chewie can be seen adding the finishing touches to the new legs in Echo Base in ESB

Hopefully the producers of the HS movie remember this modification

J

- - - Updated - - -

And re: the other point, it would've been worth it for the explosion of hilariously indignant outrage from across the Internet had Bandai chosen to put the janky studio cockpit in there. :)
The 3 piece landing gear is cannon. Han modified the Falcon to go 5 peice. IIRC, the ESB novelization mentions this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is canon...the 3 gears are clearly seen in SW,...Han & Chewie can be seen adding the finishing touches to the new legs in Echo Base in ESB

Hopefully the producers of the HS movie remember this modification

J
That will be interesting to see in the HS movie. I never stopped to think of that part at the beginning of Empire as they were adding the finishing touches to the new landing pads. That's a really interesting thought. That would be cool if Lucas and Kershner actually thought that through to explain the new boxes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a coincidence though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back