Jurassic Park Cryocan - A few questions

Jediscum

In the middle of my lightsaber frenzy, I found myself having the itch to finally add the cryocan to my prop collection. I did some research here and on youtube and then took to ebay looking for a shaving cream can that would work.

After a few weeks of coming up empty, I stumbled upon this can here:

s-l1600 (9).jpg

This is the only image the seller included. But after some google imaging, I found some cans that look very close:

5e2cc9b126992c977a2691ed8c29523d--carpet-cleaners-shaving-cream.jpg

Obviously, this is an older label than the one seen in Jurassic Park, but I'm wondering if the experts here can tell if the can itself looks to be the accurate size/shape.

Additionally, with Rylo seemingly out of the game, where should I be looking for the internal mechanisms?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Dan

Honestly, without the correct design on the can, no matter how nice your mechanism is, it will never look right.

Oh yeah, I know that. I'll be putting a replica label on it. And I'll have to paint or replace the dispenser. I'm just trying to get an idea whether anyone knows if the can itself matches up with the screen used version.

Oh yeah, I know that. I'll be putting a replica label on it. And I'll have to paint or replace the dispenser. I'm just trying to get an idea whether anyone knows if the can itself matches up with the screen used version.
I might need another image to help ID the can - is it 11oz volume? From that angle the bump at the top looks more raised than usual, but it might just be that image. It certainly has the lip at the top - so its looking good.

The internals from Rylo can be found on online auction sites from time to time. I saw just recently Paul Elder is doing a run of machined internal parts only (no can external) on his FB page. But Rylo and NicksDad were the originators so I would message Rylo if you havent already.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I might need another image to help ID the can - is it 11oz volume? From that angle the bump at the top looks more raised than usual, but it might just be that image. It certainly has the lip at the top - so its looking good.

The internals from Rylo can be found on online auction sites from time to time. I saw just recently Paul Elder is doing a run of machined internal parts only (no can external) on his FB page. But Rylo and NicksDad were the originators so I would message Rylo if you havent already.

Thanks, Davidjurassic. It was your thread and video here using the Colgate can that encouraged me to tackle this project. I contacted the seller for additional pics before I bought it, but never heard back. In the end the can was only $5 so if it isn't right it's not a big loss, but I didn't want to miss out while waiting for additional pics just in case so I just bought it. I should have it by Friday and will know more then.

I'm in contact with Paul. I'm just not too familiar with these outside Rylo so I wasn't sure which way to go. I was under the impression Rylo didn't have any left but I may drop him a line nonetheless.

Can arrived a day early. It's an 11 oz Pfizer can. No date listed, but I'd guess mid to late 80's.

Thoughts?

20180419_172000.jpg20180419_171903.jpg20180419_171840.jpg20180419_172014.jpg

Once I get the contents all out I'll see what I can do about the rust spots and trying to clean it up a bit. And I'll see if I can swap out the dispenser with a modern day blue one.

Anyone have recommendations or advice on removing rust?
kGbskeb

c3GhzgR

For what it's worth, there's a thread going on the RPF Facebook group. I brought up Rylo's can and was corrected by someone (although I was referring to the mechanism and not the can).

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 4.27.03 PM.png

For what it's worth, there's a thread going on the RPF Facebook group. I brought up Rylo's can and was corrected by someone (although I was referring to the mechanism and not the can).

View attachment 811054

I'm following that thread too. I actually did go ahead and order one of Paul's kits. Based on the pictures in that thread plus Davidjurassic's video I believe the can I got will work and will fit Paul's kit, but I've learned not to assume things when it comes to props.

Can arrived a day early. It's an 11 oz Pfizer can. No date listed, but I'd guess mid to late 80's.

Thoughts?

View attachment 811035View attachment 811036View attachment 811037View attachment 811038

Once I get the contents all out I'll see what I can do about the rust spots and trying to clean it up a bit. And I'll see if I can swap out the dispenser with a modern day blue one.

https://imgur.com/kGbskeb

https://imgur.com/c3GhzgR
Yep you've hit the jackpot I'd say. Its nice that its a genuine Barbasol too, well done!

Here's the actual prop for comparison.
2b44771af924f240cbd0d14bc86e1101.jpg

Thoughts?

View attachment 811035View attachment 811036View attachment 811037View attachment 811038

kGbskeb

c3GhzgR
You could try using Naval Jelly (as in The Navy, not belly button :D ). It’s this pink goo that is meant for rust removal, and if I remember correctly, it doesn’t have a particularly strong odor.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back