Aliens: "Allen" Ripley costume

Great to hear that you're starting up again, hope your fully recovered now from your finger injury a few years ago.

I put together( about 80% done, paint still needs darkening-down )a USCM EVA foam cosplay earlier this year, including a Nerf-based Pulse Rifle with electronics. I mention this only because you've said that your PR will require a ton of work, and I found that my still-working automatic Nerf PR - while requiring a fair bit of work - turned out great. Got a whack of compliments, including a guy selling prop weaponry, who said it was "badass!" :) Just a suggestion, since you might be putting in the same amount of work... and a Nerf build is a helluva lot lighter than resin / metal, but still rather durable.

Love the shoes! They would have looked great on my lady's Ripley this year:

Me-Her-posing.jpg

Haha, yea, the finger injury was pretty minor, just missed doing real damage.

The pulse rifle is going to be a lot of work for two reasons. First, I have to repaint it. The tape I used to mask it the first time ruined the finish on the silver undercoat, and I was never happy with the sheen of the black on the grips. The bigger issue is that I now have a metal stock and barrel vents that I need to install in it. The front triangle is actually smaller than the copper barrel I installed originally, so I have to chop it off, drill out the center of the tube, and insert a barrel that's the correct diameter. The stock is actually much worse, because I have to drill a hole in the back of the gun that's about 1.5" x 1" and about 3" deep. Might need to Jerry rig something on the dremel to accomplish that.

Reviving the thread a bit, I was wondering if you guys knew if the pants actually existed or it was custom made for the movie? Been looking all over the place online, can't seem to find anything similar x thanks x)

I just patterned the pants a few weeks ago and I can definitely say that all the pockets and other details are based on real pockets and details on different flight suits from different countries and time periods, but I've never seen them all in one place. Also while the fabric is very similar in weight and weave to a real (not functional) flight suit, the color is unique to hers. So I think no, it was completely custom.

I don't know, I just feel like the 80s were recycling many things, so I wonder if this 2 piece flightsuit could exist, as it did in the first movie. I have to agree on the colour though, it's really unconventional for the time, so it's hard to tell... I notice she has also buttons on the waist, like some old british trousers from the army. Well I am not sure, but I have seen this type somewhere haha

ripley.jpg

Hey guys, I was wondering, would you say the harness are a olive green, or are they black? In the movie they seem very much green, but on the promo pictures they look to be black?

The ammo rig is definitely black. The green comes from telecine. Natural colored lights can have the warmth pulled out of them, which causes them/objects they reflect off of to have a green tint. Real popular for sci-fi at the time.

Hey guys so another question, I know it's been addressed before, but all of the pictures disappeared on this thread, so what do you guys think her outfit is made of? just cotton? or a more polyester material? Also do you think the colour is grey or blue? or like a light blue grey maybe? x)

2dd1cc77dcb349466c82ec53e83fa1d1--aliens--the-aliens.jpgripley1.jpg

I think the background Acheron colonists' suits were some light blue-grey synthetic material:

https://propstore.com/product/aliens/civilian-light-blue-shirt-trousers/

Admittedly that's not a Ripley suit, but it shows the production had blue-grey synthetic material on hand. Maybe they only used it for those uniforms. But if I was going to be wearing it, I'd prefer cotton : )

I think those shots of Ripley suggest something wrinkled and weathered more like I'd expect from cotton. I dunno.

I think the background Acheron colonists' suits were some light blue-grey synthetic material:

https://propstore.com/product/aliens/civilian-light-blue-shirt-trousers/

Admittedly that's not a Ripley suit, but it shows the production had blue-grey synthetic material on hand. Maybe they only used it for those uniforms. But if I was going to be wearing it, I'd prefer cotton : )

I think those shots of Ripley suggest something wrinkled and weathered more like I'd expect from cotton. I dunno.

omg! Yeah I actually think it must have been that material because it looked pretty rigid on some Scenes! I didn't see that uniform before! Thanks for sharing!!!

The cotton poly blend fabric I've got is that color and drapes/folds correctly. It's a 65% cotton 35% poly blend, the same ratio most generic flight suits are made from. It's pretty reasonably comfortable fabric. Sorry the pictures are down, Photobucket decided they don't want to exist anymore, so they started charging money.

The cotton poly blend fabric I've got is that color and drapes/folds correctly. It's a 65% cotton 35% poly blend, the same ratio most generic flight suits are made from. It's pretty reasonably comfortable fabric. Sorry the pictures are down, Photobucket decided they don't want to exist anymore, so they started charging money.

Do you have a direct link for it maybe? Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back