Hasbro Black Series Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet

If anyone has no luck at their local stores, let me know. My local WalMart -- amazingly -- has piles of both the R1 Stormtrooper and the Kylo helmets. I know these can be ordered from these retailers online, but I might be able to manage a slightly more timely shipping schedule... >_>

--Jonah

Well it's really sucky here in Australia. My local TRU told me they would be in store on Sept 30 and they're no where to be seen and their website is in 'pre order' only mode. haven't seen them anywhere else Target, Kmart etc...so I s'pose we'll have to keep waiting:behave.....I love living in Oz, but the supply and prices we get jammed with here are friggin' annoying!!

Anyone start into modifications yet? I've gone ahead with painting the inside flat black and leaving out the rear inner shell for more head room, and will be soon lining it with foam.

I'm also toying with the voice changer to see if it can be improved, but its really bad. I have it completely removed, and bare mic, thinking it was the plastic cover that was interfering. But with the mic bare and everything connected to my breadboard for testing, this thing is so quiet, and does not pick up unless against my lips yelling.

IMG_20161003_010348.jpg

Last edited:
Stopped by another Walmart. There were none on the shelf but they had the big cardboard display with 4 of 6 stormtrooper buckets left and 3 of 6 Kylo Rens. My friend works in the store and offered her discount but I decided to pass. However inaccurate it may be, for now I'll stick with my old FX bucket I picked up at a thrift shop for a whopping $3 (yes, only THREE dollars).

Dude's a top notch gentleman right here.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone start into modifications yet? I've gone ahead with painting the inside flat black and leaving out the rear inner shell for more head room, and will be soon lining it with foam.

I'm also toying with the voice changer to see if it can be improved, but its really bad. I have it completely removed, and bare mic, thinking it was the plastic cover that was interfering. But with the mic bare and everything connected to my breadboard for testing, this thing is so quiet, and does not pick up unless against my lips yelling.

View attachment 669303

Why not just unwire the whole thing and hook up a reputable mic system? There's plenty out there.

My TRU finally had them out and I got one this morning. Oddly, even though the shelf tag said $79.99 it rang up at $63.99 -- 20% discount. The discount wasn't mentioned anywhere on the display, in ads or on the website, nor do I have any kind of TRU membership card, discount code or anything like that. The clerk who checked me out had no clue why/how it was discounted. It just rang up that way. Who was I to argue? Just my lucky day, I guess.

Maybe I should go buy a car.

A.J.

Just accept it. Run out gigling like a crazy person. Lol. Going to my local halloween store for a voice changer. Saw a guy use on on a Kylo helmet. Worked really well. I may just change the mic out and see how that does

image.jpeg

A super easy mod to increase accuracy is to add the wire mesh over the black between the teeth. Luckily the black area just unscrews!
I just ordered some mesh through eBay, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere online.

Just accept it. Run out gigling like a crazy person. Lol. Going to my local halloween store for a voice changer. Saw a guy use on on a Kylo helmet. Worked really well. I may just change the mic out and see how that does
Yeh everyone is saying the speaker should be fine but the mic doesn't work well. I guess we'll figure out soon enough;)

Alex

I finally opened up the one I purchased yesterday. It is really well made. I am pleased with it. I know there are some that aren't that impressed, but this helmet seems like a bargain to me.

Why not just unwire the whole thing and hook up a reputable mic system? There's plenty out there.

I use a GE 98996 headset for my phone (old-school of me, I know). They are inexpensive and the cord eventually dies over time. I carefully snap the mic boom, pull out the wire, and separate the mic wire from the earpiece wire, and boom -- I have a mic I know works great to mount inside my helmets. I've also gotten some to cannibalize just for the purpose.

A super easy mod to increase accuracy is to add the wire mesh over the black between the teeth. Luckily the black area just unscrews!
I just ordered some mesh through eBay, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere online.

I back the mesh with black panty hose. I'd advocate doing that here, too (although I'm going to see if I can use the surrounding bits to help support it and give it a cleaner appearance). That way the frown holes will actually have airflow.

--Jonah

Just to confirm the same experience as everyone else: good build on the helmet; abysmal performance of the mike/voice changer. Still, for a piece that will be primarily display, it's a good deal.

Wow, great job. Would you mind explaining what you used and what steps you took? I'd love to do this to mine (when I finally receive it...) but it's not something I have any experience in.

Sure, I'm just waiting to see if it cures strong or cracks before I recommend doing it.

I used basic plastic weld 2 part epoxy to fill the gaps first.
Next after curing I used my orbital sander with 60 grit to lightly shape away.
I then used various sanding-sponges and sandpaper from 120/240/320/400 to clean up.
I then used squadron white putty over the rough textured areas.
More sanding with 320/400
More putty and sanding continued till the contour was smooth and even.
Then I hit it with Tamiya "white" primer. Cool thing, this matches the white of the helmet exactly, there is no tell of a shade difference.
After several layers of primer till the putty was not bleeding through. I hit it with Tamiya clear.

I'm going to let it sit a couple days now, to see if any lines or cracks appear.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back