JFcustom's FOAM files

As rubber sealant, the product I used was called "Fortix - coating sealant - pitched roof", but it is no longer available. Now it's called "Brenner - coating sealant - pitched roof". REVETEMENT TOIT INCL BRENNER 0L75 NOIR / Magasin de Bricolage Brico Dépôt de TOURS - ST CYR SUR LOIRE
In fact it is the same. They just removed the handle on the bucket (such tightwads they are) and moved the brand name. I keep buying it at Bricodepot stores.

This one is closer to latex : SIKAGARD PROTEC. TOIT.INCLINE BLANC PL 4L / Magasin de Bricolage Brico Dépôt de TOURS - ST CYR SUR LOIRE
more glossy (I should say less matt) than the Brenner one, but also a bit more fluid, it sets in about one hour and turns slightly harder after several months. It's also available in clear version, that can prevent paint crumbling.

You might be tempted to buy this, because it says "LIQUID RUBBER". Rubson
- DON'T! -
Very easy to apply :), it also remains sticky forever :(.

buckets.jpg

Loki horns
I have a question: I sew different pieces of the horns my question is (my English it's not good) there's two different horns in there? I want to know if the thinnest curve its for the back? I make two pieces of the curve I want for each horn or those 3 pieces you show there are for one horn?

Just me (and not that highly scientific anyways), but did JF already post the brand and type of coating he is using? Find the MSDS (material safety data sheet, just so there's no confusion on that) of his product. Actually, just called SDSs now, but whatever). Anyways, the MSDS will give a ton of information on the ingredients and such, and would make it a lot easier to find a comparable product in another country.

I'm out the door right now, but if somebody can post up the brand, I'm willing to do the legwork this weekend to find comparable stuff. I would personally like to try something new, especially if it makes pieces more durable.:thumbsup

It looks like he's using the equivalent of Black-jack or an elastomer roof sealant like Anvil's Roof-Tec.

A good quality latex based exterior house paint would do the same thing, and is available pretty much everywhere.

Sounds good, I'll take a look. I've got enough spare foam pieces and such around my place, maybe I should just go out Monday and buy a couple of different new products to test. I'm not knocking the Plastidip and other processes I've been using, but a self-levelling paint-on that would essentially encapsulate each piece with durability and flexibility would be awesome. Thanks for posting that info.

Loki horns
I have a question: I sew different pieces of the horns my question is (my English it's not good) there's two different horns in there? I want to know if the thinnest curve its for the back? I make two pieces of the curve I want for each horn or those 3 pieces you show there are for one horn?
When you click on a piece on the 2D layout (the half right of pepakura window), it highlights its location on the 3D view (the half left window). You can also rotate the 3D view to figure precisely where which piece goes. After having clicked each piece, you'll notice they all belong to the same horn. You'll consecutively deduce that you must flip your paper templates to get the other horn...

When you click on a piece on the 2D layout (the half right of pepakura window), it highlights its location on the 3D view (the half left window). You can also rotate the 3D view to figure precisely where which piece goes. After having clicked each piece, you'll notice they all belong to the same horn. You'll consecutively deduce that you must flip your paper templates to get the other horn...

Thanks. I'm taping the first horn to glue little by little. The stay in a triangular shape or the have to be rounded?

Anyone know if Elmer's all purpose glue all in the gallon jug from lowe's is waterproof once cured for sealing eva foam? I'll be painting it with either spray or acrylic enamel paint afterwards (which is waterproof) and while not submerged, I wanted to make sure it was fairly watertight in case of outdoor rain/elements.

I can't seem to pin down specs for it online to check.

White glue is water soluble, so it is not waterproof. The function of it, is to cover the pores on the foam, so the paint will not be absorbed. It doesn't have to be waterproof, because once it covered with paint, the paint will functioned as sealant too.

Sent from my E1000 using Tapatalk

That's what I thought as well, but I was also reading elsewhere that once properly cured, build pva glue is actually waterproof/water resistant.

For example, you can use pva wood glue on outdoor wooden furniture, and the glue will not dissolve. I'm p[robably overthinking what I'm using it for on this project, but I always find it best to consider any issues before the build, not afterwards palling on a new correct rebuild.. LOL!

No, pva glue once cured, if you hold it with wet fingers, it'll get sticky again, meaning it dissolved. Hence it is water soluble.

JF once recommended to use roof sealant, which I did. Although some brand are water soluble, once cured it stays cured. That's really used for water proofing.

I've got spray tool dip, but think I'll end up using the pva glue and then painting as a sealant. These are add ons for my running shoes. (They make something called Shwings, which are cool, but they don't have a dragon wing/batwing option, so I'm making my own versions from 1/8" foam with a thinner foamie deco add on.

Here's my initial concept:

10259940_10152086981433581_7473797838041212471_n.jpg

I've got spray tool dip, but think I'll end up using the pva glue and then painting as a sealant. These are add ons for my running shoes. (They make something called Shwings, which are cool, but they don't have a dragon wing/batwing option, so I'm making my own versions from 1/8" foam with a thinner foamie deco add on.

Here's my initial concept:

View attachment 312204

Just my experience, but I would really really recommend using your spray dip on the shoes instead of (or even after) PVA sealing. I've had PVA sealers on shoes craze and crack out all over because of all the flexibility, so now I just spray dip several layers and skip the PVA all together.

I'm not actually painting the shoes.. the shoes are already black and neon red. The wings are the addition, and have eyelet holes, and are attached by the laces. Apparent;y its a new fad fashion craze. I saw some during my daily jog, and they looked killer, but they didn;t have a style I was hoping for. I'l probably replicate their flame style in dayglo orange and red as an alternate look for my shoes as well.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back