Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
They have no idea who their market is anymore and I cant see that changing anytime soon. Its safe to assume that Solo toys will sit on the shelves.

I feel like their target is multi-tiered. In other words-- everyone. The problem is, while Star Wars invented that demo-- one that could attract kids and adults alike, they are also going to break it. Back in the 70s, that didn't exist. Adventure films and family films didn't cross over very much. That gave birth to the Amblin era where the high concept summer blockbuster was something that was stiull pretty unique-- maybe a few movies of that ilk over the summer, and one at Christmas. The summers of 82-83 being the peak I think.

But that demo is over-serviced now. Between Star Wars, Superheroes, and Pixar showing you could make a movie for kids and their parents at the same time, on top of every old genre franchise getting a new crack at things, this is no longer a niche market.

They want to make a movie for everyone. but "everyone" has a lot more options. While I don't agree with you that angry fandom is representative of the majority of fandom, I do agree that fandom is pretty divided. There's the OT purists, the Legends purists, the anti-Disney crowd, etc. Even before Disney came aboard Star Wars fandom was pretty divided between the Pro-PT and anti-PT crowds, with the EU junkies caught between.

I think it was dumb of them to push and release Solo on the heels of TLJ which, even if you like it, is heavy and exhausting to sit through.

So their target is everyone, and that demo is over-serviced.

They need to either spread it out and make Star Wars films a special event again (unlikely), or they should make smaller budgeted films, with more precise audiences, which is also unlikely as it would divide the brand.

We'll have to see how Episode 9 and the next spin off do in order to see if this is a pattern or a fluke. Marvel is going strong with their numbers. No matter how many think pieces or tired fans do you see insisting there's fatigue, the numbers are consistent. That's what they want for Star Wars.

Personally, I think they should follow the Pixar model more than the Marvel model. Instead of a shared universe like Marvel, make Lucasfilm itself the brand. So people aren't looking for the next STAR WARS movie, they are looking for the next LUCASFILM movie. They have Indy, they have Willow, they could come up with something else. They could focus on mini-franchises instead of a barrage of shared universe films.

WTH.gif
:lol

CutThumb, SethS provided the answer. We were having this discussion in another thread. For Disney, films can be loss leaders. They don’t need to be profitable, they need to drive ancillary revenue. No other franchise has the same franchise value as STAR WARS. The studio business of Disney is only about a quarter of their revenue. Theme park, liscening, games, alternate media, toys, ect. are all just as important sources of revenue. Solo will make its money back but more importantly people like it. That means the brand is well thought of in the public zeitgeist which in turn drives all the other aspects of the franchise that are generating money.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't agree with you that angry fandom is representative of the majority of fandom, I do agree that fandom is pretty divided. There's the OT purists, the Legends purists, the anti-Disney crowd, etc. Even before Disney came aboard Star Wars fandom was pretty divided between the Pro-PT and anti-PT crowds, with the EU junkies caught between.

Well the fact that Solo is an unmitigated disaster worldwide can be no more solid proof that the pathetic attempts to lay blame of criticism of where Star Wars is at the feet of a small group of so called "hardcore" angry, racist, sexist and homophobic fanboys who live in their moms basements was just hollow and baseless rubbish. The world has spoken and it has screamed "CHANGE YOUR WAYS"

And its fascinating and kind of sickening to read now that some are claiming that the failure of Solo is no problem to Disney`s long term plans. Shameless really. Probably true, but still shameless.

Here is the ultimate exposing of that attitude by shill media. Watch from 4 : 07

Last edited by a moderator:
KK needs to be fired. If you expect a good film with good characters, deep story and good action force using scenes, she must be fired. Its not outrageous for a consumer to expect a high quality movie. These days though DIsney could poop into a box, put a Star Wars sticker on it and people would buy it.

In Hollywood, remember kids, it’s not important if it’s high quality. It only matters if it makes money. We will see if this film is the first to not break even. Then maybe, just maybe KK will go.

KK needs to be fired. If you expect a good film with good characters, deep story and good action force using scenes, she must be fired. Its not outrageous for a consumer to expect a high quality movie. These days though DIsney could poop into a box, put a Star Wars sticker on it and people would buy it.

In Hollywood, remember kids, it’s not important if it’s high quality. It only matters if it makes money. We will see if this film is the first to not break even. Then maybe, just maybe KK will go.

If she goes, Johnson goes. Best two for one deal Star Wars can get. You dont need a slide rule to work out how we got to this point. If Disney are foolish enough to place the future of the new era of Star Wars in his hands then God help them and us.

I think the numbers just shows true evidence that pretty much no fans asked for this film to be made. It's doing okay and making money, but it's not the Star Wars film everyone is talking about right now.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I went in to it very skeptical. As a core fan I needed to see it, but for anyone else in the general audience who have the same doubts I did, they are likely to skip it. The numbers definitely indicate that people had better things to do.

Hopefully they see this as a lesson if they're looking to bring in more people.

Marvel seems to be listening and being well attuned to their audiences and they've struck gold almost every time because of it.

The best way to salvage this mess would be to have Dave Filoni take charge of all creative decisions. Filoni clearly knows his ****, he was George’s own prodigy. I see no reason why he shouldn’t take over the story board this instant.

The numbers definitely indicate that people had better things to do.

I gotta say that in over forty years of following Star Wars thats the first time I`ve ever heard people had better things to do on the opening weekend of a new Star Wars movie.

- - - Updated - - -

The best way to salvage this mess would be to have Dave Filoni take charge of all creative decisions. Filoni clearly knows his ****, he was George’s own prodigy. I see no reason why he shouldn’t take over the story board this instant.

Exactly. Its time to start using that over used new Disney term of "departed over creative differences" to somebody else where it actually applies

Wife and I just got back from seeing it. We both thought it was ok, nothing special, the movie was just sort of there.
Having Han a good guy from the beginning undermined his arc in Star Wars. Also the PC robot reminded me of the robot uprising in Futurama.

Well the fact that Solo is an unmitigated disaster worldwide can be no more solid proof that the pathetic attempts to lay blame of criticism of where Star Wars is at the feet of a small group of so called "hardcore" angry, racist, sexist and homophobic fanboys who live in their moms basements was just hollow and baseless rubbish. The world has spoken and it has screamed "CHANGE YOUR WAYS"

And its fascinating and kind of sickening to read now that some are claiming that the failure of Solo is no problem to Disney`s long term plans. Shameless really. Probably true, but still shameless.

I was just saying how they see it-- not coming for you, relax.

You'll be vindicated if a couple more bomb. One isn't enough to Disney, but multiple will cause a regime change for sure. So if you;re right, and that many fans outnumber the casual movie goers, you could be right. But it's not happening yet.

Instead of making $200m+ epics. they should do $50-70m movies with less risk, and open up the doors to more filmmakers and let a hit be found that way instead of trying to engineer it.

So if you;re right, and that many fans outnumber the casual movie goers, you could be right. But it's not happening yet.

Well I live in the present and its happening now. Those who predicted $170 Million opening take just got a reality check on that by the way.

And when are you going to follow though with what you say? You said you were going to put me back on ignore and yet you quoted me again.

I've seen it twice now. Much better than I thought it would be. On retrospect, the story structure doesn't make much sense though. I still dont think we needed a Han Solo movie but I'll always be happy to have new good quality Star Wars.

Alden did fine, there was even a few moments that felt very Ford (when he says bye to Nest at the end was the most Fordy thing in my opinion). Lando was almost perfect, L3 is my favorite droid introduced after 1983. Really cool that Maul was played by Park and Witwer! I'm thinking Maul will come back in the Fett or Kenobi movie (if in the Kenobi one I think they can make a story with maul and Kenobi that takes place before Rebels and have the Rebels stuff still work). But Han and Maul can never share any screen time.

Better than TFA and PT but still not at the OT level.

Last edited:
Well I live in the present and its happening now. Those who predicted $170 Million opening take just got a reality check on that by the way.

And when are you going to follow though with what you say? You said you were going to put me back on ignore and yet you quoted me again.

Well you said I was immature, so I was trying to be adult and converse without getting worked up. I enjoy a debate, but I don’t enjoy getting mad.

Well you said I was immature, so I was trying to be adult and converse without getting worked up. I enjoy a debate, but I don’t enjoy getting mad.

Look, I really dont care. First you said the reason you took me off ignore was because I quoted you yet before that you commented about seeing me posting about my work history. Obviously you didnt have me on ignore. You then said twice you were not going to respond to my comments or return to the thread until you had seen Solo, neither of which happened. Doesnt sound very mature to me. Its just much more simple for both of us if you keep to your word.

I saw Solo, and I'm here talking about. And I changed my mind about blocking you cause I didn't want to be petty. I can change my mind if I want to. That's hardly "breaking my word." What am I? A Wookie with a life debt? And it seems like you care a LOT! You can ignore me and not respond if I'm bothering you. It's not a big deal, dude, relax.

Speaking of Life Debts, I didn't mind them taking license with how Han and Chewie met, but at the same time, Han never did anything to earn the level of devotion we know Chewie has and shows later.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back