Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

I absolutely love the Alien universe and designs, this project is one of the best I've seen on the forums! I also can't help but giggle like a schoolgirl every time you write 'wee jaws', it makes the alien sound oddly cute, as does the name Bob XD

The reshaping of the back end is going to be so worth it when it's done! Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind words :)
The jaws are kind of diddy & cute on their own :D
Yeh I'm not too confident with the back end atm its going to take alot of looking at ref's & temporary subtle changes before I get it to a stage that I'm happy with :confused

I've been busy reshaping the back end of his head, the area from the front of the new pipe back.
I repositioned the orange pump slightly, repositioned the convoluted pipe that comes from the pump to under the back, replaced the smaller pipe that comes out of the pump on the side, repositioned the small convoluted pipe that forms the divide between the top of the head & the side & of course the big convoluted pipe now has 16 ribs as per the original.
I have yet to fill all the areas in between the pipes with clay & I still have to extend very end about 3/4" & blend it all in.
Before I do that I'm looking for some more critisism on the shape of the rear as it is, if I need to move anything nows the time to do it :)

Some pic's:
216.jpg

215.jpg

217.jpg

Last edited:
I knew something wasnt quite right about the back end of the head, so I took a large knife to it :D
220.jpg

I removed quite a bit off the top of the head there.
In the process of shaping it up, the sanding block caught on a lump & Bob took a nose dive into the table top & knocked his front teeth out :unsure
Luckily it all repaired fairly easily.

A bit more roughing out & I refitted the pipework:
221.jpg

I then started the filler work, its polyester car body filler so the house now smells like a body shop :)
222.jpg

After a few hours & a headache Its all smooth, hard & shaped up, just need to give it a coat of primer & pick all the little bits of filler out of the pipework :)
223.jpg

Its getting there....slowly :)

Last edited:
Oh man I want one of these SO BAD!

:D

Little update:

All the pipe work is bonded in place now both sides & I've started to fill all the area's in between the pipes with clay again. The clay is just roughed out atm but its not too much work to smooth this lot off.
Heres an underneath head shot:
225.jpg

& heres a couple more of todays work:
226.jpg

227.jpg

Had a nice little result yesterday, Mum came over for an early xmas visit & gave me a Dremel 300. It has a load of bits & is in a nice grey plastic case. I've been wanting one for some time now, so I'm a happy boy :)

Last edited:
I really love the way this piece is looking. Such elegance and beauty in this piece, just as gigers version was. I wish my 1:1 sideshow looked this nice. would you ever consider making one for a collector down the road?

Thanks,

Michael

That thing is looking beautiful!

Wow Leigh, I love the changes. :)

And I thought it´s impossible to catch more fine details in the shape.

You, Sir ROCK!!!! ;)

Thank you, your all very kind :)

I really love the way this piece is looking. Such elegance and beauty in this piece, just as gigers version was. I wish my 1:1 sideshow looked this nice. would you ever consider making one for a collector down the road?

Thanks,

Michael

Awesome complement, Thank you :)

A little update:
I've been playing with the mouth again.
I'm trying to incorperate as much into the head as I can prior to moulding in an effort to make him poseable, or at least to have the option to do so.
I've created a mount set up for the tongue, the simplest way I can think of so that it can drop a touch & extend.
Here:
233.jpg

& with it assembled he can do this:
229.jpg

230.jpg

231.jpg

The plan is to make the main head mould with the mouth pallet & its features. Make a resin cast of the head & all the other components & then I'll just need to drill the holes & assemble him.

Your thought & critisism are welcome as always :)

Last edited:
It is just TOO AWESOME!! Once ready and painted this will KILL me ;) (and of course nobody else)

Last edited:
Oh man I want one of these SO BAD!

What he said. I thought for a minute that the carving down of the back of the head might have gone a bit too far but checked my ref and it all looks about right. When the dome is in place the rear end of the heater tube should end up about half way up the height of the head at that point, in side view. Looks on target.

It is just TOO AWESOME!! Once ready and painted this kills all...

Um...please don't kill the project! :p Such comments do worry me a bit given that this forum is monitored by licensees.

OTOH, it's clear that Leigh has no intention of going into mass production and will likely be selling a handful of casts to known forum members, not all and sundry anonymous recasters. The sort of guys who would be pretty unlikely to buy a finished commercial collectible head anyway. So there's that, I guess.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back