Walking Dead Season 7

Just watched this morning, I thought the episode was total trash. They don't seem to understand that less is more when it comes to villains. All of Negan's grandstanding just served to lessen the impact of the deaths, and I long for the days when TWD told things in linear sequence, instead of relaying everything through Rick's fever dreams and flashbacks. This episode could have been 10 minutes long if they trimmed the fat that was the RV ride and chopping scene. Season 6 should have ended with Negan popping Abe, Daryl's outburst, Glenn's subsequent death and the overhead "ta ta" shot, leaving the whole crew reeling, and us to wonder what was to come next season.

Negan's comic impact is so strong because he is built up as almost a myth, suddenly has the drop on the group, makes his quick brutal point and then hits the road. He doesn't fight to be heard, he IS heard, he doesn't need to drag out the scene just to prove a point, because that message is crystal clear already.

I too, think it would have been better to end last season with the deaths, rather than let us wait all summer. It felt pretty cheap.

But, so did Glenn's Dumpster death

Just watched this morning, I thought the episode was total trash. They don't seem to understand that less is more when it comes to villains. All of Negan's grandstanding just served to lessen the impact of the deaths, and I long for the days when TWD told things in linear sequence, instead of relaying everything through Rick's fever dreams and flashbacks. This episode could have been 10 minutes long if they trimmed the fat that was the RV ride and chopping scene. Season 6 should have ended with Negan popping Abe, Daryl's outburst, Glenn's subsequent death and the overhead "ta ta" shot, leaving the whole crew reeling, and us to wonder what was to come next season.

Negan's comic impact is so strong because he is built up as almost a myth, suddenly has the drop on the group, makes his quick brutal point and then hits the road. He doesn't fight to be heard, he IS heard, he doesn't need to drag out the scene just to prove a point, because that message is crystal clear already.

Hell, they could've ended with Abraham's death and held Glenn's death back for the premier and really screwed with everyone and it would've been a much stronger narrative.

I hate to be that guy but I was just sort of huh, there you go. The violence was exceedingly gratuitous even for this show but I didn't feel much empathy for anyone. I think the show has worn me out emotionally for the characters, but I still enjoy it.

The last few seasons have been my favorite from the series, outside the cliff hanger and the fake outs. Last season had several of my favorite episodes, lots of character developments too, and there is huge opportunity for more(especially with rick and daryl) I will only be pissed if the group doesn't learn from their mistakes (arrogance, doing 0 research)

I was happy with last nights episode, if anything I would have just wanted those flashes to everyone getting hit gone, things like that, that added absolutely nothing.

There was some great acting though, and especially with Rick and Negan. Whoever said Negans grandstanding was bad, thats absolutely 100% who negan is.

A good show for the shock value but little else. I didn't feel a thing when Negan hit multiple home runs with both Abraham and Glenn, all I could think was "there goes two more characters that they didn't do too much with over the past couple seasons".

Also I can't see Negan without seeing the Comedian from Watchmen. I keep expecting Rorschach to show up.

I was happy with last nights episode, if anything I would have just wanted those flashes to everyone getting hit gone, things like that, that added absolutely nothing.

I thought that was a powerful scene. Negan told Rick to think about what just happened, and what could happen in the future. Rick imagining that brutal fate to his family was his motivation to get the axe for Negan and what eventually broke him.

I've been in a slump with this show for a bit now. After last night, I have no interest in the show anymore and its because the characters. I really dont care about any of the characters except for maybe Maggie. I liked Glenn as much as people like Daryl and with him gone, I dont have anyone to cheer for. I stopped caring about Rick when he became a legit murderer.

Last night's episode was garbage in my opinion. The comments Negan made after the first smack on Glenn felt like an cheap 80's B movie. Oh also, Abe's last words...really?!

I have to say I agree with their assessment of the show. To simply use characters we have come to care about as blood filled punching bags that you can beat on to shock the audience and get the internet in an uproar is an insult to the people who have followed the show over the last six years.

We've seen blood and guts flying in all directions on the show, they don't need to try to top the gore, that's not why we came to care about the show. We watched for the characters that in earlier seasons were the focal point. Now the point is to introduce the bad guy of the season and get everyone to start predicting who will be killed next and how horrifying it will be. I for one am sick of of Rick looking dazed and Maggie screaming in slow motion as someone gets shot, pummeled, or eaten. No more for me.

I cant see Negan without seeing a guy I used to work with. Bad puns, lame jokes, a need to be heard out of pent up insecurities. The guy comes off as zero threat so someone explain to me what I am missing here? Rick not taking him out in the RV has me stumped. Seems he could have simply took him out with a hatchet to the noggin, herded that hoard of walkers back to the location and caused enough chaos to turn the tides. Just not a very characteristic thing for him to do after becoming Shane.
The show admittedly lost me long ago and sealed its fate to DVR during the horrid Beth hospital era. But really, this is the super villain? At least his side has a stellar dental plan, a steady hairdresser and custom tailoring.

When seeing commercials for the tiger guy, I was officially out. Some things that work in a comic just dont work on camera. Where are the ammo and gun argument guys ranting about how much a full grown tiger eats and drinks? If the tiger has a mate and they are named Siegfried and Roy Ill let up on the tension and cut some slack.

I cant see Negan without seeing a guy I used to work with. Bad puns, lame jokes, a need to be heard out of pent up insecurities. The guy comes off as zero threat so someone explain to me what I am missing here? Rick not taking him out in the RV has me stumped. Seems he could have simply took him out with a hatchet to the noggin, herded that hoard of walkers back to the location and caused enough chaos to turn the tides. Just not a very characteristic thing for him to do after becoming Shane.
The show admittedly lost me long ago and sealed its fate to DVR during the horrid Beth hospital era. But really, this is the super villain? At least his side has a stellar dental plan, a steady hairdresser and custom tailoring.

When seeing commercials for the tiger guy, I was officially out. Some things that work in a comic just dont work on camera. Where are the ammo and gun argument guys ranting about how much a full grown tiger eats and drinks? If the tiger has a mate and they are named Siegfried and Roy Ill let up on the tension and cut some slack.

have you read the comic? he's obnoxious in it.. the show is nothing compared to what we have seen in the book. i think his character acts like that because he is so powerful. I'm amazed with all his goons no body has shot him in his sleep and taken over his pirate empire..

See, this I just don't get. I suppose it sort of makes sense, that you said you had lost your love for the show earlier, and therefore you arent invested/empathetic with Ricks character, but what I saw was emotionally devastating for the characters I empathise with.

He has just witnessed one of his family brutally, brutally bludgeoned to death. It didn't break him entirely, but it absolutely humbled him - and he was angry, but he wasn't broken. Two more stages were required to break him - control him, by having a trip with him where Negan forces Rick to understand the new status quo - the axe is Negans, and then show him who is God now - the axe to the hand. He does attempt to kill Negan, but Negan already knows as soon as he moves, that he has an assault rifle and quick reflexes. The fact that Rick tries to kill him is exact proof that Negan needs that Rick hasn't learnt his lesson yet - and thus is the catalyst for Glenns death. This still almost wasnt enough (Rick is THAT strong) and thus the axe and Carl. We are shown that what you just suggested wasn't possible.

It was a great deconstruction of Ricks character in a short space of time and quite believable.

For a majority of complaints, I think equating an entire production team working on TWD with the simple idea that they are only doing the show now for shock moments is extremely harsh on the crew, writers etc. They don't consistently tell amazing stories, I won't argue that at all - like all shows, they have weak runs, weak episodes and such. But this is a show about a group trying to survive in a world where nothing is ever going to get better, from the characters perspective. Why on earth would people watch this to see the happy endings? This show explores the dark side of humanity, and the light side is how true our characters can stay to themselves while surviving. It's compelling stuff I think. Certainly not oscar worthy, but it's good. These shock moments, or complaining that there is a formula...that's storytelling! All stories have an act structure, all TV shows have cliffhangers etc. If they hadn't built the characters up in the first place, people wouldnt be tuning in to find out their fates. They are "cashing in" on investment they created within the show over several seasons. It might not always be perfectly tasteful, but for the most part I'd say it aligns with the story they tell.

I do wonder how many that complain about the gratuitous Lucille violence complained about the same scene in the comic book. Probably not many I'd wager.

@Fawbish violence on a comic page and violence on film are two VERY different things.

Is it though?

I'm not arguing that there is a certain wince factor when we see things in a video, but generally I tend to have that same wince factor when reading or seeing it in word or artwork - if I'm invested in the story and the characters that are being explored.

A good example is the Red Wedding - I was just as emotionally gut punched when I read it, as I was when I saw it.

Another example would be Dumbledore's death - in both instances, I was floored. (admittedly this isn't specifically regarding visceral violence, but it is a character death)

If I read about someone having needles shoved into their fingernails or see it in a fictional film, as long as I'm invested in the characters fate I'd be recoiling in both instances. Weird example haha. I think perhaps if you remove the "invested in the story" part of what I'm saying, your statement makes more sense to me. Perhaps I would agree that drawn violence would be slightly less shocking than filmed violence.

the story arcs began suffering seasons ago but every now and again, it'd feel like they're coming back inline but as i said, i'm done watching it live. record it, watch when i want and bypass the commercials.

I love the show, and this is how I've watched it for years. It's just more efficient.

I like going to McDonald's, even if they forget to remove the pickles from my burger once in a while. However, forget the pickles enough times, and I'll stop coming back.

They've been forgetting your pickles for years. You won't stop going back.

But the shame of it is that if AMC wasn't desperate to string the thing out every damn season, and if the show understood how to effectively pace things, and wasn't content to be lazy and cheaply manipulative, there's actually a good concept at the core. It's just that nobody seems interested in that anymore.

I see this manipulative complaint over and over. How exactly are they being manipulative? Aren't all shows, and books and movies for that matter, manipulative?

Hell, they could've ended with Abraham's death and held Glenn's death back for the premier and really screwed with everyone and it would've been a much stronger narrative.

Agreed. This would have been way more powerful.

I hate to be that guy but I was just sort of huh, there you go. The violence was exceedingly gratuitous even for this show but I didn't feel much empathy for anyone. I think the show has worn me out emotionally for the characters, but I still enjoy it.

Have you read the comics? The seen with Glen was almost shot for shot right out of the comic.

Last night's episode was garbage in my opinion. The comments Negan made after the first smack on Glenn felt like an cheap 80's B movie. Oh also, Abe's last words...really?!

Again, Negan's comics were almost direct quotes from the comic.

I guarantee you're not out. You'll be back next week with another reason why you're out, but you won't actually be out.

So, who else missed the peace sign Abraham give Sasha? Had to have a co-working point it out to me.

I missed it. At what point?

As all the Saviors were leaving, did you notice the guy in the background taking Polaroid shots of the aftermath?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back