Rebel X-Wing Pilot Football Costume - Group Costume For DragonCon2015

I'm a complete A@$, :lol

I totally forgot that you where interested in being one of the players. And I will totally put you down as Luke if you want to be part of the group. I'm just getting this thread resurrected so I had forgot that you posted about being on the team. Done and done, I'll update the first post with you as Luke, and I'll message my buddy and tell him he can have Wedge or Biggs.

This is a very big IF, like a HUGE IF...but I'm looking into doing an R2 build this year and maybe have my Dad or another friend can operate it at DragonCon. I've always wanted an R2, and how cool would that be to have one with us while we are in costume as a group? The v1 R2 would be remote control and able to play some sound effects. It may not have all the bells and whistles but It will be a good starting point.

That's an awesome pic of you and your friends back in the day. Very cool!

No worries! If your buddy wants Luke, it's okay, but I do think I can do this. It's not a big build and sounds fun. I'm going to go with my black New Balance shoes, since you did. I like that idea better than orange anyway. But question: I noticed that you want to change the pants to black this year. Why? I think white looks great in your original setup and seems more Rebel than black. Black seems all Sith-y. When I think Rebel Alliance, I think orange and white, not orange and black? I nearly missed this when I read back over the first post, but when I caught it I was a bit puzzled. I realize football uniform design is very complicated (oh, Lords, what has Nike done to my beloved Browns...and seriously 49ers? WHAT?), but my color scheme would be: black shoes, orange socks, white pants with pads*, belt of white, orange, or black, orange and white jersey, shoulder pads of obviously whatever (pity I just trashed some for Mad Max... *grin*), white or grey helmet with orange, white, or black face mask. Chest box for this particular cosplay, but I would skip it if worn on my own somewhere.

But all that rambling to ask: why black pants? Just because?

*Unless one goes crazy and does home, away, and alternate versions. :) Home - as above. Away - all the same but white jersey with orange. Alternate - variation of all orange (jersey, pants, socks) maybe, because that's what the flight suit is like. ;)

But yeah...babbling. I'm going to go now.

I ordered my letter jacket patches last night, though! Woo-hoo! Left sleeve: the number five. Right sleeve: class of 77. Back: large "Rebels" patch. All in orange and white for the orange and white jacket. Still debating the front left chest: either doing a custom letter R with inserts** or a large Rebel Alliance patch (custom-made if possible for size and such) in orange and white. Sure the patches are costing me ten times what I paid for the jacket, but I knew that would be the case when I bought it. *shrug*

**Considering inserts in the letter saying "Beggar's Canyon", "T-16", or "X-Wing". Or a small Alliance symbol. Trying to decide how accurate I want this to be to either a "Luke in high school" or a mash up or Luke on Tatooine versus now type thing. Because no Rebel Alliance symbols on Tatooine, etc. Granted, Tatooine's high school is probably called the Womprats or the Sand Tigers or something... ;) Thinking, thinking...

Last edited:
No worries! If your buddy wants Luke, it's okay, but I do think I can do this. It's not a big build and sounds fun. I'm going to go with my black New Balance shoes, since you did. I like that idea better than orange anyway. But question: I noticed that you want to change the pants to black this year. Why? I think white looks great in your original setup and seems more Rebel than black. Black seems all Sith-y. When I think Rebel Alliance, I think orange and white, not orange and black? I nearly missed this when I read back over the first post, but when I caught it I was a bit puzzled. I realize football uniform design is very complicated (oh, Lords, what has Nike done to my beloved Browns...and seriously 49ers? WHAT?), but my color scheme would be: black shoes, orange socks, white pants with pads*, belt of white, orange, or black, orange and white jersey, shoulder pads of obviously whatever (pity I just trashed some for Mad Max... *grin*), white or grey helmet with orange, white, or black face mask. Chest box for this particular cosplay, but I would skip it if worn on my own somewhere.

But all that rambling to ask: why black pants? Just because?

*Unless one goes crazy and does home, away, and alternate versions. :) Home - as above. Away - all the same but white jersey with orange. Alternate - variation of all orange (jersey, pants, socks) maybe, because that's what the flight suit is like. ;)

But yeah...babbling. I'm going to go now.

I ordered my letter jacket patches last night, though! Woo-hoo! Left sleeve: the number five. Right sleeve: class of 77. Back: large "Rebels" patch. All in orange and white for the orange and white jacket. Still debating the front left chest: either doing a custom letter R with inserts** or a large Rebel Alliance patch (custom-made if possible for size and such) in orange and white. Sure the patches are costing me ten times what I paid for the jacket, but I knew that would be the case when I bought it. *shrug*

**Considering inserts in the letter saying "Beggar's Canyon", "T-16", or "X-Wing". Or a small Alliance symbol. Trying to decide how accurate I want this to be to either a "Luke in high school" or a mash up or Luke on Tatooine versus now type thing. Because no Rebel Alliance symbols on Tatooine, etc. Granted, Tatooine's high school is probably called the Womprats or the Sand Tigers or something... ;) Thinking, thinking...

You are totally going to be Luke. My friend selected Biggs. Gotta find someone to be Wedge. I have some interested folks but nothing firm yet.

Regarding the black football pants I felt that there wasn't enough black. There's a lot of orange on the jersey and the socks are orange. There's a little black in the jersey and then the shoes are black. there's only a bit of white in the jersey. The gloves are also black too. So maybe there is enough black.

But, you do have me thinking now. Now that I think about it. Orange football pants may work better since the whole jump suite is orange.

I'm gonna put on the costume with the black football pants that I ordered and have a friend take some pics and I'll post those pics here and we can discuss it more.

We have plenty of time to firm up the final choice of the pants since this is an upgrade of my original cosplay. I'm just looking at options and playing with things. The journey is what I love about being a designer. I get to play around and try things and compare things. And if we don't go with black football pants I'll have a pair that I can use to swap out for different cons.

Congrats on getting the letter jacket going. I can't wait to see that. I'll be making some patches for the football jersey too. A Red Squadron patch as well as a RAFL league patch, a parody of the NFL logo - but it will have Star Wars elements incorporated.

Feel free to post some WIP pics of the letter jacket, since it's related to this group cosplay it would be fun to see progress, or share your thread if your start one.

Oh and I like Womprats better than Sand Tigers since Womprats is Star Wars cannon. Fans will get that more. Just my two cents.

The Force is strong with us!

@jackwabbit

I got the new black football pants in the mail today, much sooner than expected, so here are some pics with the black football pants and the new version of the jersey. I have mixed feelings about the black pants now that I see it together with the jersey.

2015-09-15 23.30.45.jpg

You are totally going to be Luke. My friend selected Biggs. Gotta find someone to be Wedge. I have some interested folks but nothing firm yet.

Regarding the black football pants I felt that there wasn't enough black. There's a lot of orange on the jersey and the socks are orange. There's a little black in the jersey and then the shoes are black. there's only a bit of white in the jersey. The gloves are also black too. So maybe there is enough black.

But, you do have me thinking now. Now that I think about it. Orange football pants may work better since the whole jump suite is orange.

I'm gonna put on the costume with the black football pants that I ordered and have a friend take some pics and I'll post those pics here and we can discuss it more.

We have plenty of time to firm up the final choice of the pants since this is an upgrade of my original cosplay. I'm just looking at options and playing with things. The journey is what I love about being a designer. I get to play around and try things and compare things. And if we don't go with black football pants I'll have a pair that I can use to swap out for different cons.

Congrats on getting the letter jacket going. I can't wait to see that. I'll be making some patches for the football jersey too. A Red Squadron patch as well as a RAFL league patch, a parody of the NFL logo - but it will have Star Wars elements incorporated.

Feel free to post some WIP pics of the letter jacket, since it's related to this group cosplay it would be fun to see progress, or share your thread if your start one.

Oh and I like Womprats better than Sand Tigers since Womprats is Star Wars cannon. Fans will get that more. Just my two cents.

The Force is strong with us!

Ok, I'm in. :) We'll think on the pants. I like white, then orange, I think, but the whole flight suit is orange, so... *shrug*

I'll get some pics of the jacket up shortly. I do have one on my phone, but not uploaded to a "real" computer yet. ;)

And I'm not going to make up a pretend mascot for Tatooine High. Or Anchorhead or wherever Luke went to school. I'm just going with the R or the symbol, most likely, but it's still not completely decided. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hm...I like the new shirt, though the plain orange worked, too, but I'm with you on the pants now that I see it...I think white would look better, or, with that jersey (didn't realize there was a new one), orange. Only problem with orange is that particular color would be a bit hard to match...hm...

@jackwabbit

I got the new black football pants in the mail today, much sooner than expected, so here are some pics with the black football pants and the new version of the jersey. I have mixed feelings about the black pants now that I see it together with the jersey.

View attachment 529242

I think the white looks way better, I think the black takes to much away from the outfit. The black draws your eyes to the pants where with the white pants with the orange from the jersey brings your eyes up...but that's my opinion....

I think the white looks way better, I think the black takes to much away from the outfit. The black draws your eyes to the pants where with the white pants with the orange from the jersey brings your eyes up...but that's my opinion....

I tried the black football pants to "see what it would look like". And I agree, the white football pants look much better.

I tried the black football pants to "see what it would look like". And I agree, the white football pants look much better.

Yay! I like them much better, too. I was pretty "meh" about doing this with the black. Now, let's see a mock-up of the new shirt with the white pants. I'm guessing the new shirt is a little more spendy and needs to be from a certain source, as opposed to the plain orange, which is a little more universal?

EDIT: saw the link in the first post. I like it. At first, I preferred the old version, and I would likely get the old version for myself (because I prefer having "Rebels" on the front and no chest box, so when not in a group setting, I'd do that), but this one looks pretty snazzy. I like the incorporation of a little black. And I can wear the youth size! Woo-hoo! Twenty bucks cheaper! Yeah, baby! :D

Last edited:
Yay! I like them much better, too. I was pretty "meh" about doing this with the black. Now, let's see a mock-up of the new shirt with the white pants. I'm guessing the new shirt is a little more spendy and needs to be from a certain source, as opposed to the plain orange, which is a little more universal?

EDIT: saw the link in the first post. I like it. At first, I preferred the old version, and I would likely get the old version for myself (because I prefer having "Rebels" on the front and no chest box, so when not in a group setting, I'd do that), but this one looks pretty snazzy. I like the incorporation of a little black. And I can wear the youth size! Woo-hoo! Twenty bucks cheaper! Yeah, baby! :D

I have to return the black football pants and get them to send me the white ones. Then I'll walk the cat walk and strike a pose for ya'll again. LOL

When you get your jersey just make sure to order a size up so it fits over the pads ;) but I know this isn't your first rodeo.

Don't buy the jersey until I make the video about it. Because you have to use a certain font and all that. I'll be posting that soon.

Joshua

Last edited:
I have to return the black football pants and get them to send me the white ones. Then I'll walk the cat walk and strike a pose for ya'll again. LOL

When you get your jersey just make sure to order a size up so it fits over the pads ;) but I know this isn't your first rodeo.

Don't buy the jersey until I make the video about it. Because you have to use a certain font and all that. I'll be posting that soon.

Joshua

Oh, I'm not doing anything yet. Not for a good while yet, actually. Just chillin' post con and thinking on Halloween plans. If I can get off work, that is...I think I'll have to work the day shift that day, so not so bad...

Oh, I'm not doing anything yet. Not for a good while yet, actually. Just chillin' post con and thinking on Halloween plans. If I can get off work, that is...I think I'll have to work the day shift that day, so not so bad...

I submitted my return request for the black football pants. Decided they weren't right enough even for an alternate version of the costume. LOL. It was a fun test though. One nice thing is that they fit so much better than the previous football pants.

I'm just chilling post con too. I got con crud on the last day of D'Con, then that evolved into strep throat. And I'm finally feeling better. been playing catch up with client work and lining up new client projects, I also landed a large costume commission from a friend who wants a Samurai Stormtrooper mashup based on the Bandai action figure. So I'm starting work on the helmet for that next week.

Mostly just been trying to clean the apartment and get my tools and materials organized again.

I'm not really doing any new cosplays for awhile. I'm upgrading some existing costumes and working on my friends commission. This last year was a lot of work getting my new cospalys together so I'm taking a break from new ones. Not to mention I spent some bucks so I'm toning it down for my bank accounts sake. LOL. I am going to get the robe done for my Hellboy Rasputin cosplay for next year and finalize my mecha-glove.

moving forward I'm going to be a lot more purposeful with my time and projects. I felt like I rushed a couple things this past year, so slow and steady is my new A game.

I have another local convention next weekend called Anime Weekend Atlanta. I'm not a huge anime fan, but a lot of my local pals meet up in cosplay at hang out for this one. Then I'm going to Walker Stalker Con, gonna get a day pass for this year and my buddy and I wear our Shawn and Ed cosplay from Shawn of The Dead. It's a lot of fun.

After Walker Stalker Con there's no more major cons here until next year. But there are local costumed themed parties that I go to. Harry Potter Pub Crawl in November, and Star Wars costume party before Force Awakens comes out.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread here...but in case anyone is still interested in doing this costume, you might check to see if your local Sports Authority is going out of business. Mine is, and I just might grab a few things for this. I scoped things out yesterday and am planning a return trip once I nail down what I need.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back