Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

That white grey looks pretty nice on the falcon. Is it just the lighting in the photo's or does it have a warmish yellowish/tanish tint to it?

That touch of yellow or tan that so many SW vehicles have is important to me, cause it really gives it that weatherbeaten aged left out in the sun to long look that just makes SW vessels seem all the more authentic.
It definitely does have a touch of warmth.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tamiya AS-20 is a great color choice IMHO. Problem is that a spray bomb doesn't get fine coverage around small details and greebles. In this and smaller scales of SW models it doesn't work well for me. You can decant the spray can into a bottle but that is one more inconvenient step.

I Mix my own with Tamiya acrylic jar paint. A ratio of about 2 parts White to 1 part deck tan. Looks fantastic to me and much more convenient airbrushing and getting into small detailed areas with a low pressure airbrush. I used this mix or variations of it on most my Star Wars models.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I also prefer the control that an airbrush gives you. Your basecoats look great. Just wanted to double check before I start mixing paints, are you using regular deck tan (XF-55) or the wood deck tan (XF-78) with the white? Thanks!

That touch of yellow or tan that so many SW vehicles have is important to me, cause it really gives it that weatherbeaten aged left out in the sun to long look that just makes SW vessels seem all the more authentic.

I think I know the color you speak. Archive-X calls it "Mud" Here is an example on Lee Ralph's Y that he sent me a while back. I see it all over the 5ft sidewalls in particular.

IMG_20171001_162607_418.jpg

I also prefer the control that an airbrush gives you. Your basecoats look great. Just wanted to double check before I start mixing paints, are you using regular deck tan (XF-55) or the wood deck tan (XF-78) with the white? Thanks!
Regular deck tan XF-55.

I'm confused. Is it all stuck/glued together? How will deal with paint coverage and weathering in the nooks and crannies? The area between the jawboxes looks especially challenging.
Thanks,
Mike Todd
With an airbrush on low pressure I can get into those smaller areas with the topcoat, did so on my 1/144 Falcon so 1/72 will be easier. In fact, if you do some pre-shading with a dark grey you can get some nice scale lighting effect this way.

That said, painting sub-assemblies prior to the main painting is another option.

I've been messing around with bending the hull plating with my 1/72. With my older Bandai 1/144 I just simply bent the panels with a needle nose pliers. This a little thicker so in order to avoid braking the plastic I heated the pliers over an open flame before bending. Works like butter. One thing to note is that I sanded the inner surface of my pliers smooth so I didn't leave teeth marks on the Falcon.
20171107_074504.jpg

Just to chime in here, I used AS-20 over Tamiya fine primer on my Red 6 and it worked like a charm:

Red 6.jpg

SB

Does anyone with more experience with electronics know what I would need to do to extend the length of the wires? I'm daydreaming about putting the battery box on the outside of the model. Any suggestions?

I'm confused. Is it all stuck/glued together? How will deal with paint coverage and weathering in the nooks and crannies? The area between the jawboxes looks especially challenging.
Thanks,
Mike Todd

Sorry your confused!:) The fit of this kit is VERY tight. I didn't paint it first because Of having actually built several Bandai kits before, I kinda knew this would be an issue. Now of course I could have just sanded the areas in question, but again...the fit is just that good.

It makes no difference to me weather it's built or not, I'll still manage the paint and weathering in the nooks and crannies. I also glued several areas. I have to say I assembled several bits before just going ahead and fully assembling the kit.

I just got my shipping notice as well, can't wait to start this thing.

I am trying to get everything ready. I plan of using an airbrush to do pretty much all the painting. I’m trying to make a shopping list of all the paints I will need.

Could someone give me a list of the various paints they are using for the base color, all the various panels, and pretty much everything else?

I have used Tamiya and Vallejo a lot in the past with pretty good success, and was leaning towards using colors and mixes of colors from them. I’m open to using other companies but I’m trying to find paints that are relatively inexpensive.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back