Stanley Kubrick western

Well, since he was a "Visualist" first, then I can see big vistas and...silence. Or, something à la "Full Metal Jacket": shoot-'em kinda Western, but with the "damaged" hero (or not).
A few nudity scenes and classical pieces as a background. ;)

I won't go so far as saying his films are long, slow, and boring but I will concede his films when he was at his peak, certainly do take their sweet time. The only film of his I would call genuinely boring is Barry Lyndon.

If Kubrick was to do a Western, I imagine it'd be at the early stages of his career, maybe between The Killing and Paths of Glory, when he was still doing "genre" and hadn't really become obsessed with his "style" yet. The way I imagine it, it'd be kinda like Spartacus with its grand vistas and almost mythic portrayal of the hero.

Last edited:
A thought provoking visually stunning and awesomely Scored well crafted work of Art :thumbsup

A common characteristic of Kubrick's films - from Spartacus to Dr. Strangelove to A Clockwork Orange to 2001: A Space Odyssey is that the story, setting and environment are invariably more powerful than the characters. Even strong characters (e.g. Alexander DeLarge) remain subordinate to the narrative.

However the classic westerns are typically the other way around with powerful, independent characters driving the narrative. One exception is the subgenre of the western noir.

If Kubrick were to have made a western I think the western noir would be naturally compatible. These would be films like The Ox Bow Incident and The Furies. I could see Kubrick doing something like that.

Kubrick movies are miserable,slow, & tedious.. I've never been bored in my life , but I fell asleep watching his last one ..and, no I didn't see it at the theatre..Not Western material ! !

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back