New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

It's been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but ILM has stated that the SD is a Hybrid of the ones from an New Hope and Empire, an idealized alignment of the two versions.

Im currently waiting for mine too. Will build it mostly out of the box and plan to do lighting. Ive done a couple lighting projects already but never with fiber optics as these will be needed for this baby.

I decided to model the Tantive IV in 1:2700 scale to fit with my destroyer that's on the way. It's 1.85 inches long when assembled. I left the aft engine section hollow so you can light it if you're really ambitious. I doubt I'll light it..after all the main reactor was shut down minutes into the movie!

You can see the item at: http://shpws.me/N7N4

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but ILM has stated that the SD is a Hybrid of the ones from an New Hope and Empire, an idealized alignment of the two versions.

John Knoll said during his talk at Celebration Europe that the RO SD was based primarily on the 3-footer, but that since the 3-footer lacked detail on the upper super structure they "cribbed" some of that detail from the 8-footer. He uses the word "hybrid," true, but when you hear his entire comments he makes it clear that the RO SD is primarily based on the 3-footer because it's "era appropriate." So it's not a half and half hybrid. It's more the 3-footer with some additional 8-footer details.

Here's the link. The star destroyer talk starts at 12:46. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUafi3EWBY8&t=1876s

John Knoll said during his talk at Celebration Europe that the RO SD was based primarily on the 3-footer, but that since the 3-footer lacked detail on the upper super structure they "cribbed" some of that detail from the 8-footer. He uses the word "hybrid," true, but when you hear his entire comments he makes it clear that the RO SD is primarily based on the 3-footer because it's "era appropriate." So it's not a half and half hybrid. It's more the 3-footer with some additional 8-footer details.

Here's the link. The star destroyer talk starts at 12:46. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUafi3EWBY8&t=1876s

True, but it's a little more than just the upper detailing. The original SD had no lighting other then the engines and docking bay. The comparison between the rogue one and Empire SD's shows that they added a lot more encrusted detail that the smaller scale of the original SD did not lend itself to.

The end result looks awesome on screen, regardless. It's just a shame there's no physical version to show off like the old ones..

Cheers

True, but it's a little more than just the upper detailing. The original SD had no lighting other then the engines and docking bay. The comparison between the rogue one and Empire SD's shows that they added a lot more encrusted detail that the smaller scale of the original SD did not lend itself to.

The end result looks awesome on screen, regardless. It's just a shame there's no physical version to show off like the old ones..

Cheers
I had the opportunity too see the traveling prop exhibut many years back. Seeing the Star Destroyer model in person is just incredible. I could have stared at that thing for hours! Pictures on a computer or mobile device do not do justice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had the opportunity too see the traveling prop exhibut many years back. Seeing the Star Destroyer model in person is just incredible. I could have stared at that thing for hours! Pictures on a computer or mobile device do not do justice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Same. I saw the 3ft Star Destroyer and 5ft Falcon in person about 5 years ago. Incredible.

Sapguy, are you going to make your Tantive IV available for purchase????? I would love to have on in scale with the Big Z!

Speaking of the Big Z, update from USPS Tracking- "Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) December 22, 2016 1:45 am"
Double Giggity!!!!!!

Sapguy, are you going to make your Tantive IV available for purchase????? I would love to have on in scale with the Big Z!

Speaking of the Big Z, update from USPS Tracking- "Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) December 22, 2016 1:45 am"
Double Giggity!!!!!!

One more unboxing video, this time with captions, to whet your appetite:

Oh, it also has Jammie Dodgers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, it's for sale through shapeways. I had to edit out the turret guns so that they will print...easy enough to add them with some stretched sprue or wire.

Anyone know what the port of departure is out of Russia? Mine was shipped from perm, which I thought would be a straight shot out to somewhere in europe, but it's gone to Moscow now. I mean, it's nice that it's getting so well travelled before spending the rest of its life under acrylic, but....

Mine is in Linthicum Heights MD as of this morning (it cleared customs three days ago). That means I would normally have it tomorrow... dunno how the holidays will impact the delivery though. I sprung for EMS.

Mine is in Linthicum Heights MD as of this morning (it cleared customs three days ago). That means I would normally have it tomorrow... dunno how the holidays will impact the delivery though. I sprung for EMS.

So do you not get stung with import charges from Russia?

Only reason I've held off ordering is due to the crazy import taxes I'd get charged here in the UK.

I figure if I hold out till the Revell release in April, I'll save myself quite a few £££s!

For the moment no, but who knows what Emperor Trump will do to our imports... but for now, no VAT or import tax.

You or me? Who's getting it first in the States? Mine should have left NY already on its way to KY.:cool:lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back