Tron (1982) Guard Build

Re: Tron (1982) Guard Research

Good Score!

Forgot to thank Nick for letting me know about the Cooper XL1 auction in the first place. Thanks dude! :D

Now I gotta get over the fact that I'm going to be painting over some very rare (and expensive) sports equipment, hahaha.

Also, would anyone be interested in castings of the vintage respirator parts? All you need to do is get a newer Binks Respirator and then glue on these cartridge cover castings to make it screen-accurate. The vintage ones are fairly rare.

Re: Tron (1982) Guard Research

guards01.jpg

247372_4817858571366_392021597_n.jpg

Here's the stun rod that I made. I bought an 8' clear tube guard for a T12 fluorescent light bulb and then taped 8" x 11" printer paper at the ends. Finally, I'll grab some red reflective tape and make the circuitry pattern that goes at the ends. So far, I'm really happy with how this came out. I was afraid it would be super expensive to get a really long acrylic plastic rod but this tube works PERFECTLY!

In other news, I decided to go ahead and make boot tops for regular slip on shoes, instead of spending $250+ for motorcycle police boots. I wear a size 12 and this way, I can have a cheap boot that would look closer to the Tron good guy boots (which looks better, IMO) and still be fairly comfortable. Also, I noticed that in the reference pics I posted earlier, that they sewn on some fabric on the Cooper XL1 gloves. I decided that I will not be doing that, due to the rarity of the gloves, as well as the fact that I don't think my mom's sewing machine can sew through that though sports equipment material, lol.

Last edited:
Long time no post!

This year, I'm able to afford to go to DragonCon and I decided to finish this costume to premiere at the con. I got the respirator and gloves finished and got some fantastic reference material from a couple of friends that will really help me out in making this the most accurate fan-made Guard costume.
guard_reference.jpg

As you can see in the pic above, I've done a lot of research on the costume.

Painting the respirator was challenging and fun.
guard_resp.jpgguard_resp2.jpgguard_resp3.jpgguard_resp4.jpgguard_resp5.jpg
The rubber mask part was painted with Rustolem's fabric/vinyl paint and it stays on there fairly well, provided you don't flex the rubber too much. The gloves, since they were made out of foam, were hand-painted with Krylon's Acrylic Latex Enamel paint.

Finally the circuitry was applied! This is reflective automotive tape, and while it doesn't actively glow, it does produce a brilliant light when reflecting a light source such as a camera flash. This tape will be applied to the entire costume.

guard_glove.jpgguard_glove2.jpgguard_glove3.jpg

Up next is the actual clothing!

Really interesting looking build. Glad you're back at it after the last update.

I'm a big fan of the tape idea. It looks great and it's something that would never have occurred to me as an alternative to lighting. Look forward to seeing it on more parts.

Thanks! Yeah, the reflective tape works great since, in concept, it's very similar to the gaffer tape they used on the original costumes.

Trying to recreate the intricate circuitry on Tron's helmet, for example, with El tape or el wire is just simply impossible if you want an accurate costume.

----

Quick update, so I got some boots and a belt on the way. The belt was confusing me for a long time but I finally ID'd it as a police belt. The vast majority of them that are available for sale are in black, so I'm assuming that the prop people must've painted the belts and handcuff holsters, along with the motorcycle boots. Fortunately, I found a Polish white police belt that will work perfectly!

guard_belt.png

As for the boots, I really want to get real motorcycle police boots, but those are just too expensive for my price range and also, painting them white is too risky and probably won't last long so I decided to get some costume white boots on eBay that should do the trick. The boots are a really minor part of the costume so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Killer work! Can't wait to see this come together!

Thanks, Nick! :D

------

Thanks to some unexpectedly fast shipping, the police belt has been acquired and it's near perfect!! I love how it's white so I don't have to paint it, and it matches up perfectly with the screenshots in the movie. I got a new old stock Don Hume C303-P Handcuff Holster to go with the belt and all I need to do is paint that white and apply a strip of reflective tape on the top of holster.

The only problem I have with the belt is that the white front side is embroidered with a stitching pattern except for about a foot long section where it's just plain. That will be the side that's facing outward. I have a feeling that the original Tron belts had similar embroidering but I can't verify for sure since 1) the majority of the time, the belt is hidden by the vest/jacket and 2) the movie has so much film grain and fuzziness to it, it's rather hard to get details, period. My high res production stills of the guard don't show much of the belt either, but I don't seen any stitching from what I can gather from. Regardless, no biggie and I'm still really happy with the belt.

guard_belts.png

Now, of course, there are variants of the belt accessories as you can see in some of the guard pictures. Some of them have, I believe, magazine pouches on the belt, but the single handcuff holster is the most common variant seen in the movie and, also, it's less stuff for me to buy (lol) so I'm going to skip the additional gear.

More updates on the way!

guard_model.png

I'll be uploading more pics in a bit, but for right now, here's a model of the costume I made in Blender to help me get a better idea on how some of the shapes of the costume work, especially that weird hood shape.

We are officially in crunch time! I now have less than a month to complete the costume for DragonCon. The stuff that I need to make before the deadline are:

- Hood
- Shoulder pad
- Vest
- Arm pillows
- Breastplate "hexagons"
- Glove extensions
- Kneepads

Fortunately, we can mark off pants as I found that Capezio actually makes tights that are a dead-on match from the screen-used costumes!

guard_Capezio_tights2.png
guard_Capezio_tights.png

You can see how the guards just simply tuck in their shirts in the tights.

------------

The most difficult part of the costume is most likely going to be the vest. Does anyone have an idea of how it could be constructed? The tubes seem to have a backing to them but the underside of the vest is weird...Here's the best pics I could grab from the movie:

guard_vest_study.png

guard_comparison.png

6 days left until Dragoncon...I really hope I can finish this on time. All the fabric patterns have been cut out, now we gotta just assemble it all together and put the circuitry tape on it.

guard_hood1.pngguard_hood2.png

Hood's finally all sewn together! Currently working on the shoulder pads. As for the vest, I think we're gonna go with sewn-through baffles, but I'm not entirely sure...we'll find out tonight!

11952021_10206127830707755_3326159550434651050_n.jpg
tron_guard_room.png
tron_guard_room2.png

After two all nighters and lots of procrastination, the costume's finally finished!

I was concerned that the costume would be too obscure, but it was a lot more popular than I thought, which completely made the convention worth it. While it's not perfect, I'm still very happy with how it came out.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back