Breaking Bad Props

What ever happened to that run of pink bears by the woman who made them for the show? Did that fall through?

Unfortunately, RPF user great1 has been MIA since 2016 and has stopped responding to all of my messages and emails. Only he had contact with the bear makers.

I wonder why...

Does anyone here also happen to have the contact info of the bear makers?

@Hecubus114, you have one of the bears courtesy of great1's communication with the makers. Do you yourself have any contact with the person who made it, and if so, would you be willing to share with us?

Unfortunately I don't. :( I never had direct contact with the maker. And I have recently tried to go back and find the old emails between ????? (I don't even remember Great1's name, its been so long!) and I, to maybe see if the woman's name, or anything else about her was ever mentioned, but alas the emails seem to have been deleted by Cox, due to their age. :angry

I'd happily buy another (or 2, or 3) from her, to at least have a burned, and pristine version.

Unfortunately I don't. :( I never had direct contact with the maker. And I have recently tried to go back and find the old emails between ????? (I don't even remember Great1's name, its been so long!) and I, to maybe see if the woman's name, or anything else about her was ever mentioned, but alas the emails seem to have been deleted by Cox, due to their age. :angry

I'd happily buy another (or 2, or 3) from her, to at least have a burned, and pristine version.

Damn. Did he ever mention how he found and got into contact with the maker? I would assume he did so through publicly accessible information, maybe her name was written on a crew list somewhere?

Damn. Did he ever mention how he found and got into contact with the maker? I would assume he did so through publicly accessible information, maybe her name was written on a crew list somewhere?

You know, if he did, I have no memory of the details. Sorry :(

I may have finally found Walt's glasses, or at least the closest thing available to them from dreaded Hilco - more so than the sg301. All this time I've been looking for them on google, and likely wasted a lot of time doing so. I searched on yahoo for the first time in 13 years and was surprised to find more specific, better results.

Frameworks 381. 53 19 145. These pics popped up only searching for "Hilco bronze" on yahoo images; they never pop up in google image search, and the website I found these in doesn't pop up either.
frameworks 381bronze 53 19 145 hf381bz.jpg
381gold hf381mgl.jpg
I posted pics of both colors because they show the frame in two angles. This frame is still available from reputable online eyewear shops, but not in bronze. :(
I mentioned this Hilco glasses line a while back to show that older Hilco glasses had white markings on the inner temples, like Walt's have. Frameworks was Hilco's main line in the mid 2000s, and Walt's frame looks to have a patent pending side shield hook (before patent approval in 2004). I'm not going to judge the lens shape by photos from this angle. What looks off are the hinge pieces/temples - they might be thinner. The frames in those photos have spring hinges, but the thing about hinges is that despite Hilco describing their frames as having spring/non-spring hinges, sometimes they have the opposite hinge. Also, the frame [line] might not actually be a safety frame. If Walt's is this frame with side shield hooks, then it'd be a prototype. At this point, I care more about finding the frame with the correct lens shape, color, and bridge.

I'm going to email the site to see if they can provide better photos of the bronze 381.
just more info about potential Walt glasses that may interest anyone.

anyway, i was going to post this 2 weeks ago but didn't since i was logged out. good thing it was saved.
I did contact Hilco but they cut it off saying that they don't have any information.

Anyway, I modified my Hilco SG 301 and put up some lenses. I also changed the temples with the right screws, but no hooks inside them.

I'm pretty happy with the results. The only remarkable difference is the bridge, which here is clearly not the same.
So, Hilco had no information? That's disappointing.

Anyway, the frame looks good! No one but people like us here on rpf will ever notice the differences. haha :)

Some final thoughts on this whole search for Walt's glasses - because I think that's it. It's over. We'll never know.

I have mentioned that older Hilco glasses were manufactured in South Korea. Walt's frame has a patent pending side shield hook. That rivet-less patent was approved in 2004. (I believe I mentioned 2007 before. I was wrong; confusing it with the year of Hilco's acquisition of OnGuard.) The current SG301 meets safety eyewear standards from 2003. Maybe the SG301 is Walt's frame, but with a brow bar, thicker bridge, and the updated side shield hook (which is also thicker, and not just a separate thin wire that's soldered on - like it is on Walt's.) I did some searching and the oldest mention of the SG 301 I found was in 2002. The colors it was available in were different than what Hilco calls them today. (Just bronze and pewter.) Maybe Hilco wanted to update the SG301 because if it was an old version of Walt's frame, it's plain and quite unappealing. Who would want to buy a square frame that has no style?

These are all the frames I've thought could be anything remotely similar to Walt's, as far as lens shape goes. SG301, SG401, 3MGamma, 3MBeta, W021, RX554. I never mentioned these because the lens look a bit too round, too rectangular, or the frame has significant inaccuracies. I've searched google for glasses in those frames' dimensions and this is all worth mentioning now.

Carlo, I don't know how much you've searched, but you might have noticed that the same frames are available from different safety glasses brands, albeit in different colors. The SG301 alone is available from 3M and another safety eyewear brand that I can't recall at the moment. If you look at Frame Tec's website, you'll see some frames made by them are actually sold by American safety eyewear brands. Frame Tec - they popped up in my research and I'm impressed you discovered them. Frame Tec is somewhere in the middle of it all. Hilco is not a safety frame company. They're an international company that sell optometrist equipment. Maybe Frame Tec was actually Hilco's supplier at the time, just as Frame Tec seems to be the supplier for 3M, Titmus, ArtCraft, Phillips, even Wolverine (Hilco's main safety glasses competition) and many other safety eyewear brands. Frame Tec did admit to being one of the leading exports for safety glasses. There's more than enough reason to believe it.

I may have finally found Walt's glasses, or at least the closest thing available to them from dreaded Hilco - more so than the sg301. All this time I've been looking for them on google, and likely wasted a lot of time doing so. I searched on yahoo for the first time in 13 years and was surprised to find more specific, better results.

Frameworks 381. 53 19 145. These pics popped up only searching for "Hilco bronze" on yahoo images; they never pop up in google image search, and the website I found these in doesn't pop up either.
View attachment 833718
View attachment 833719

Thanks for continuing the search!

I made a new comparison GIF of these frames and the closest matching angle from the show I could find:

qSmLomM.gif

As you can see, the hinges/temples look to be too thin/long and are set too low on the frames. I'm also not convinced that these frames have the exact lens shape of Walt's. The bridge also seems to curve a little too much.

These do look fairly close though and more photos of them would definitely help, so thank you for contacting them to ask!

I hope I'm not being discouraging, just trying to help narrow down this years-long search, haha.

qSmLomM.gifv
qSmLomM.gifv

Thanks for continuing the search!

I made a new comparison GIF of these frames and the closest matching angle from the show I could find:

As you can see, the hinges/temples look to be too thin/long and are set too low on the frames. I'm also not convinced that these frames have the exact lens shape of Walt's. The bridge also seems to curve a little too much.

These do look fairly close though and more photos of them would definitely help, so thank you for contacting them to ask!

I hope I'm not being discouraging, just trying to help narrow down this years-long search, haha.
you are welcome !

Don't worry. It's not discouraging. Only I discourage myself lol. I appreciate input. It helps having a second opinion on any frame that may serve as a potential Walt glasses replica. Anyway, I emailed the website.

You know, I'm already convinced it's not it. It's the 19mm bridge. When I found the sg301, I was convinced it had the proper lens shape – I think most of us here are at this point – and sought other frames with that same lens shape. The other dimensions I was unsure of. A 17mm gap between the lens frame seemed to small to me, but it's because of the sg301's thicker and straight bridge. It's a damn shame because the shape and dimensions are all there.
WalterWhite head w sg301.png
He looks kind of weird.

I'm not sure we'll ever find them. Google is a lot more cluttered than yahoo, and yahoo doesn't allow time frame searching. I've searched all of yahoo for frames in that dimension, vintage, safety frames, square frame korea, hilco, wolverine, bronze, brown – nothing. It might be easier to meet Bryan Cranston and ask him to tell us what model they are. He has worn them so much I'm sure he has memorized what they are if we were to ask him. It's unfortunate that everyone currently at Hilco isn't of any use.

you are welcome !

Don't worry. It's not discouraging. Only I discourage myself lol. I appreciate input. It helps having a second opinion on any frame that may serve as a potential Walt glasses replica. Anyway, I emailed the website.

You know, I'm already convinced it's not it. It's the 19mm bridge. When I found the sg301, I was convinced it had the proper lens shape – I think most of us here are at this point – and sought other frames with that same lens shape. The other dimensions I was unsure of. A 17mm gap between the lens frame seemed to small to me, but it's because of the sg301's thicker and straight bridge. It's a damn shame because the shape and dimensions are all there.
View attachment 834019
He looks kind of weird.

I'm not sure we'll ever find them. Google is a lot more cluttered than yahoo, and yahoo doesn't allow time frame searching. I've searched all of yahoo for frames in that dimension, vintage, safety frames, square frame korea, hilco, wolverine, bronze, brown – nothing. It might be easier to meet Bryan Cranston and ask him to tell us what model they are. He has worn them so much I'm sure he has memorized what they are if we were to ask him. It's unfortunate that everyone currently at Hilco isn't of any use.
Frame - Tec almost convinced me that they made the frame. Their models look very similar. Unfortunately I got a NO as answer.

My personal opinion is to keep looking. I know it's frustrating but new things continue to come up, so I don't think we're wasting our time.

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

There is a replica eyeglass maker Magnoli Clothers that said they were thinking of making a replica set of Walter Whites glasses. Maybe if a few people on the page pressure them they will come through. http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/accessories-glasses-c-23_100.html
He did say that and then had a poll to gauge interest. https://www.poll-maker.com/poll1962701xb91B4D11-53

Only 16 people. sad. :\

Frame - Tec almost convinced me that they made the frame. Their models look very similar. Unfortunately I got a NO as answer.
My personal opinion is to keep looking. I know it's frustrating but new things continue to come up, so I don't think we're wasting our time.
Again, good luck with your search!

Oh. I received a reply from that website I mentioned a post ago. I was told I could not be provided a better image of the frame. That's fine. It's not it anyway.

Honestly a replica may be our best bet. And from everything I've heard about Magnoli Clothiers, accuracy is very much prioritized.
He should buy an sg301 so that the can get the exact dimensions. It went down in price at coolframes who is still running a 10% off deal. It costs less from vseyewear, then there's a 20% off coupon code. Not sure if it's a reputable site to order from, but it is the site selling it at the lowest price.

So are the glasses you linked to on Cool Frames 100% frame shape? If so, buying a pair to study would certainly be worth us doing.

Here is a comparison GIF of the Hilco SG301 (the glasses on CoolFrames) to Walt's:

xxl385O.gif

As you can see, the lens shapes are almost exact, with Walt's being slightly more rounded at the outer corners. The SG301 glasses' lens frames are too close together, and the temples are attached too low compared to Walt's, but working off of a pair of these should be helpful in creating the lens frame shape in your replica.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back