Shazam! (Post-release)

What did you think of Shazam!?

• Total voters
I thought the trailer looked like a lot of fun. I don't know the source material more than superficially, but hasn't Shazam always been Big with super powers?

It’s gonna sound weird, because most of us know Captain Marvel as Carol Danvers from Marvel Comics, but when Billy Batson shouts “Shazam,” which is a magic word, he turns into DC’s character Captain Marvel, which is an adult with super powers.

This all came about in the 60s when the original publisher of what would become DC’s Captain Marvel wasn’t making comics, and Marvel created their own Captain Marvel. DC then bought the rights to whoever it was that had created the DC Captain Marvel, but Marvel has trademarked the name so DC couldn’t use it.

For years the comic was called Shazam, but the character was still technically Captain Marvel.

Eventually (new 52 maybe?) DC just changed the character’s name to Shazam, and here we are.

This is is a really long winded way of saying “Yes, Shazam has always been big with super powers.”

I actually knew the captain marvel name stuff, which is more than I know about Shazam's in universe storylines. No idea about his rogue's gallery or arch nemesis or big story beats. So I'm looking forward to something I don't have any reference for beyond the basic premise.

That looked fun.

Rebuild DC off of this.

Re introduce Superman at the end, but with this tone... can still be MOS Superman, just match it to this and continue from here.

That looked fun.

Rebuild DC off of this.

Re introduce Superman at the end, but with this tone... can still be MOS Superman, just match it to this and continue from here.
That would be something!
Supes at the end of Justice League seemed closer to right to me, but still not quite there.

That would be something!
Supes at the end of Justice League seemed closer to right to me, but still not quite there.

Yup. It was JARRING AS F, but I was like, yup... if this was the first time you saw Superman in this series, it would be great...

But when I was watching JL, I had just rewatched MOS and BvS the night before and it was like slamming a car in reverse.

He Will ALWAYS be Captain Marvel to me.

But, look at it like this. In the comics, he shouted "SHAZAM!" and he turned into Captain Marvel. Then along comes Freddy. He shouts, "Captain Marvel!" And he turns into Captain Marvel Jr. Clearly preventing him from introducing himself while in superhero mode. Then comes along Captain Mar-Vell in Marvel comics in the 70's and later dies of cancer. THEN comes the female Captain Marvel for Marvel comics, now introducing her in the MCU.

Yeah, what a cluster. Nobody knows who Captain Marvel IS anymore! :facepalm

Last edited:
This looks great! DC has a lot more to show is than dark and gritty films, they need to expand and show more flexibility in their tones, I think if they used more lighter tones (thematically and also color-wise) they would generate a wider audience.

I didn't know this was going to be a kids' film. Looks fine for that, but I was expecting something more adult oriented. Definite pass.

Here's my hot take.

This is what ALL DC movies should be like. They've tried gritty, they've tried SUPER gritty, and it just gets worse and worse. DC is rooted in the golden and silver age, where a little bit of cheese was okay. I've been through 30 years of DC comics, and many many variations of Batman and Superman.

At this point, even Batman is getting tired as being grim/dark.

Look to Brave and the Bold or Batman 66 or this movie. Do more of that! Even with Batman!

Don't know the character at all, but watching the trailer, looks like it could be a fun silly movie. I really don't even watch movies much anymore, so this would be one of those I'm bored one night and I happen to catch it night movies.

I'm really hoping by the end, Billy's settled into his second skin and comes across as more heroic than goofy. I can totally forgive it for the early explorations of it, but Captain Marvel (as I will forever continue to stubbornly call him) looks like this in my mind's eye...

Captain_Marvel_Kingdom_Come_001.jpg

While I'm no fan of Alex Ross - that's close to the costume I'd like for Captain Marvel, too. This costume is so simple and could have been so easy to bring to the screen... but, they had to the typical movie things to it.... and really, even worse. I'm not sure why they felt the need to overcomplicate this the way they have... but, they sure did take a very simple outfit and add all the comic book movie/TV cliches to it.

The new Shazam costume doesn't look magical or mystical like it should,The chest lightning bolt element and other plastic-looking pieces are just poorly done, it looks worse than most fanboy cosplay.

I'm really hoping by the end, Billy's settled into his second skin and comes across as more heroic than goofy. I can totally forgive it for the early explorations of it, but Captain Marvel (as I will forever continue to stubbornly call him) looks like this in my mind's eye...

View attachment 832954
******* I love that book. Thats one of the few books that actually gave me chills when I was reading it. Alex Ross work, and the writing are flawless. And does the guy that play Captain Marvel look ANYTHING like that?! Nope. He looks like a skinny little ****** in a crappy muscle suit.
JD It was at comic con, it looks even worse in person. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back